Diana Krall stinks

silvertip

After reading some posts here, I've come to the conclusion that many posters hold Diana Krall in very high regard and seem to test speaker and amp combinations with some of her CDs.

I took the time to listen to several tracks from several CDs of hers--thanks Tower Records--and I think her music is really bland and drab.

I think it's for old people.

I mean REALLY old people.

They might call it jazz, but whatever it is, I don't think anybody under 50 listens to it.

Perhaps its an acquired taste?

Maybe when I'm 50, I'll like it too.

I doubt it though.

It does make me scratch my head as to why somebody would spend time and money locating and buying heritage Klipsch and tube amplification in order to listen to Diana Krall.

It would be much cheaper to walk into an expensive hotel and spend the day riding the elevators there - you'd hear the same music and it wouldn't cost you anything.

As to why somebody would want to pipe that sh_t through a pair of Cornwalls or Khorns is beyond me.

And to use one of her CDs as a "reference" for testing purposes is fu_king nuts.

Maybe our Special Forces should lug a pair of Khorns down to Gitmo and make those prisoners listen to Ms. Krall (or should I say Mrs. Costello) at 124dBs.

We'd not only get all the intel we'd need, but we'd probably end up killing them in the process.

Diana Krall + Khorns = tortured and dead individual

Let's not let the cat out of the bag, shall we?

I'd sure hate to see terrorists using the same effective technique against our captured soldiers.

Better to keep it here in the two channel forum, where crazy old men actually take a liking to it and consider it to be recreational listening.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ms. Krall is an excellent interpreter and a very easy listen. If you want more inspiration, like in most musical endeavors, you may be better served going after the original to find a higher level.

Of the "moderns," I find her much more palatable than Norah Jones, whose microphone sounds like it normally is somewhere in the vicinity of her esophogus due to the hot mic technique employed with her.6.gif

silvertip are you saying that you don't like Diana Krall?

I couldn't seem to pick up the vibes that you hid so well between the lines. Very subtle I must say.

Hey Buddy! I take offense of the following statement:

"I think it's for old people.

They might call it jazz, but whatever it is, I don't think anybody under 50 listens to it.

Maybe when I'm 50, I'll like it too"

I'm over 50 and have never heard her muzak, thank you

Rick

The above was written with no malice and is not meant to insult you old F-rts who drool over Mz Krall.

Lordy, Lynn... I thought his post was vaguely humorous (when I say "vaguely" I mean as in next solar system). Not that I totally agree with it or that I thought it particularly intelligent or insightful, but I have seen more offensive posts in here that werent amusing at all.

I wonder which Krall he was listening to. No matter, I guess. I dont find her work filled with soul but I will admit that "Love Scenes" actually has some well-recorded songs that dont sound that bad via digital. It's her most palatable CD.

I tell you what. I'll throw up another sample of Diana Krall for those that are wondering what all the fuss is about. Strangely enough, I think ole SilverTip would probably scoff at more twisted material as well. I think he needs to listen to some CORNELIUS...

MP3s on the way...

"I took the time to listen to several tracks from several CDs of hers--thanks Tower Records--and I think her music is really bland and drab.

I think it's for old people.

Maybe when I'm 50, I'll like it too.

I doubt it though."

Kelly

I agree that Silvertwit was likely only trolling trying to stir things up.

That said I smell a bit of something unsavoury in his so called humor - As in Did you hear the one about ....The old guy who.....The ... etc. who....?

Hey Silver don't let these guy's get you down! Stick around this place has been a real yawn lately ! In most respects I absolutely agree with you especially when you said "And to use one of her CDs as a "reference" for testing purposes is fu_king nuts." I agree completely a Blows Wave radio wouldn't be challenged with old Diana ! But I do disagree with you she has a beauiful voice in a some moods she is real nice to listen too ! Like just before bed much better than a sleeping pill 2.gif

Rock On

Craig

Craig, there is more to evaluating a system than raw power. Actually, I am really surprised at this post of yours. Piano is actually one of the hardest instruments to get right. What is your criteria to test a system? And if material is small in scale, do you consider it easy for a system to capture?

Also, what is a list of music you use to audition gear or test the various capabilies and differences between components?

I'm not trying to make myself feel "adequate" nor did I say I didn't "like" "older folk."

I'm simply making an observation, giving an opinion, and cracking a few jokes, so save your psycho-babble for yourself lynnm.

As an older man (particularly one that's so easily ruffled and excited), you should really focus on lowering your blood pressure and taking that chip off your shoulder.

Perhaps surfing this forum isn't beneficial to your health.

I mean, if you can't take somebody's observation and opinion without skyrocketing to 180 over 100 perhaps you should find something else to do.

Like taking blood-thinning pills to prevent that forthcoming stroke...

You might not believe it, but I'd hate to see a guy like yourself (with so many decades under your belt and all) grab his chest and then drop face-first onto his keyboard due to a sudden heart attack from reading one of my posts.

SilverTip, now you are getting bent out of shape. And you are the one with the TIE on! For the love of St. Nick, loosen the tie!

On a music front, I can see some of your unhappiness with Krall, yet your reasons dont strike me as particularly astute. Just because she does low key material or material that doenst race like a rabbit's heart, doesnt mean it is designated "old folks" fodder, or unfit for consumption. Ditto with judging a system.

I have more heavy and demented stuff than most on this forum and yet some of the best material is sedate, and not all of that jazz either. Ever hear a band called "LOW"?

Out of curiosity, I'll also ask you what you enjoy listening to?

kh

Kelly,

Craig, there is more to evaluating a system than raw power.

Keep up these types of off handed and insulting posts Kelly and we are going to go at it yet again. Respect brings respect my friend. Just because I do not use Diana Krall or any of the other laid back relaxed music you SET loons like to audition with does not give you the right to judge my ears or amps. I have literally 150 or more very happy customers and am now busier then I ever have been which must mean something. Can you say the same !!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Craig

Have you noticed that even the smallest question, and one that is totally justifed brings rancor, Craig?

You just got finished quoting a line like, "to use one of Krall's CDs to judge a system is fuc ing nuts" and then went on to add that a Bose Wave RAdio wouldnt be challenged.

I think my question to you was a valid question and comment. What is wrong with saying there is MORE TO ANALYZING a system than raw power? This is exactly what you seem to be implying. This has nothing to do with respect either. I just happen to disagree with the fact that Krall would be terrible in judging a system and that a Bose Wave Radio would do it justice.

If anything, your response to me seems entirely too reactionary. I was literally asking you what material you use to compare and contrast amps. Your statemnt regarding Krall's complete lack of worth here is what made me ask you this. I said the same thing to SilverTie.

kh

ps- In addition, I think that in order to get a true understanding of a system, one must play ALL sorts of music, both acoustic and electric, with dynamics on the micro and macro levels. Low level detail is one of the HARDEST things an amp/system can reproduce. And loud music can really MASK this.