Is my room too small for Klipschorns?

Deang

If I do this, I'm definitely doing the false corners. The measuring is complete, and it's doable. However, the "inside" ends of the walls from false corners will almost be touching in the middle, with only a little over a foot between them.

My question now is this: is it worth it, or will the beasts just be too big to really appreciate. I'm especially worried about what the bass will do. The width of the room is 12 feet, and the wall behind my chair is about 20 feet back where the staircase is.

My brain says I should do LaScalas, but that's not where my heart is.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dean,

Can you do a Long Wall setup? Randy Bey has his Khorns on a Long Wall in a room of a similar size. They sound Grand! They are in a Basement that is pretty inert. Solid Walls and treated room.

If you could get the Khorns on the Long wall. Spread apart in corners or False. Put the listening chair between them and 12 feet back. Treat the wall behind you and in front.

Dean,

Lascalas would be second choice. Klipschorns actually take up less room than Lascalas because of the triangular back. I don't see the need for false corners in your room either. Try them without the falsies first just make sure that they are coupled into the corner with rug runner or one of the other methods and you will be fine.

Did you make an offer on those Khorns in Mich.?

Rick

Dean my room is 15' wide. Due to the narrow width I find my khorns almost pointing at each other from the necessary toe-in.

I think khorns would sound ok in there but your sweet spot would be about 5' back from the speakers in the center.

Your knee walls do not look 52" tall so you'd have to bring the speakers even closer together.

I wouldn't do it ...not in that room.

Rick,

Craig and Don pretty much some up my feelings on using the existing corners. The other problem is my concern about excessive "boominess" in the bass from the side walls. If I did it this way, I would have to shore up the walls in the adjacent dead space on the other side of the walls.

Craig,

Doing the false walls means I can rotate the K-horns around. I've already figured the angles and measured things out. Like I told you one the phone -- tight, but doable. The only downside here is the height of the squawker and tweeter would be over my head, but I've already figured out a way to get my chair and extra three to four feet back, which would get me 15' off of the K-horns.

Kevin,

That's actually a great idea, but then I would have the wall right behind my head. I was thinking they might actually sound better with the area behind my head "open". Lot's of space in that direction -- wouldn't that be a good thing?

Dean,

Hopefully Randy Bey will see this thread. Randy's back wall is not too far behind his head and his Khorns sound great!

If I remember correctly his Khorns are about 17 feet apart and His listening chair is between them and about 9 feet back and about 3 feet from the back wall. You could do this! He does have the back wall treated for reflections as well as bass traps in the corners.

I think this is doable.

I dont think it will work to good in that room Dean, to close together for me. Artt0 would be the man that needs to reply to this thread, he might be able to come up with an idia.Can you take the 40 foot wall and put a wall off of it to make it like 20 feet or so between the k-horns? I would hate to see you spend the money on new k-horns only to be disapointed and have to sell them for a loss. K-horns need a perty good size room.Why the false corners in that room what is wrong with the corners that are in there?The farther apart in that room you get those k-horns the better they will sound. If the false corners put the k-horns closer to each other I think they will only sound worse.I think la scalas would be more doable in that room.This is just my opinion, but I have had my k-horns in 3 different homes and they sound the best now, further apart and in the biggest room of all 3 homes.

This is another forum member's room that is getting VERY good sound too with high quality amplification. I will let him chime in if he feels like it. His room has some compromises but he expressed the doability. We discussed this in relation to my room, which would have different problems. The fact that you would still have open air BEHIND you is a major GOOD point in my view.

Ultimately, why are you going with the upstairs instead of the basement? Perhaps the forum member will weigh in here.

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/k_room1.jpg

Kevin, I think that's the ticket. I need to think out of my "old" box.

Kelly, that is about what it would look like if I used the original corners.

Forget the basement, it's the main traffic area for the whole blessed family. No, must be upstairs for the next year or so, then the livingroom. Of course, if I can make it fly upstairs -- I may just leave it that way.

Dean,

I've told you and told you carry your lazy butt up here and listen to the Lascalas ! What the heck is 4 or 5 hours on the road before you slap down over 5K ? I bet you leave with your jaw dropped and never give the Khorns another thought for the room you have there. I truly think that for Khorn's to reach there true potential the need a large room especially with more taxing music. There doable but its a compromise to say the least.

Craig