Erik, you wanted some pics/Homebrew Linstage.

mike stehr

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat little passive, Mike... like the funky box. Looks like that shunt Dale 23 step attenuator is a nice deal.

kh

ps -One Question. Are those Monster Interlink IC in bg? IF they are, get a BIG improvement by ditching them. Seriously, the monster Interlink IC are some of the worst interconnects I've ever had and I've had many. I was given a ton of 400/500 for my studio stuff in the 80s by a bandmate who managed a store. It is just about the least rich sounding IC with the most bleached sound I know. the image was flat compared to even simple homebrew with magnet wire. I actually gave them away to clients I set up systems for. OF course, it may not be them as the IC are in the background; if not, disregard above blather...Except for the cool passive comments! heh

Yeah, your right. I do need to upgrade the interconnects.

I should see if I can scrounge up that particular Beldon coax. I put it off long enough.

The ones going in it are CAT5 with rat shack jacks! Ha!

You posted a site in the past where you can get pretty good buys on interconnects, I can't remember the place. Can ya refresh my brain?

Mike,

Congratulations on your pre. Great job. Without a doubt in my mind at least, you are the most resourceful person in the 2 channel forum, though Fini gives you a good run. I will make it a point to get your package in the mail before the end of the week to arrive before Xmas. It's long overdue.

DIYCable(diycable.com) may be the place you're looking for. A pair of the Superlatives are only about $60 for 1 meter.

Have you tried turning the cover over to hide the graphic, or setting up the controls with the bottom as the top, and the top then bcomes a slide off bottom?

Klipsch out.

I just looked at the site and seen the cables you mentioned Edmond.

I'd ponder it if I didn't need two runs.

Two pair is little steep for me.

But they do sell the Beldon 89259 coax by the foot. (At least I think they do.)

It may not be on par with the Superlative, but should be better than the ol' Monster.

Then I'll figure out what to do for male jacks.

The rat shack gold series male jacks are alright IMO, it's the female jacks that kinda suck. Sufficient, but nuthin' special.

That ol' Monster interconnect is burned-in good, I've had it for a good ten years. ;)

Eico HF-12 projects for Christmas, Gee, I better get this Triode amp going!

The bottom of the box isn't really pretty. I'll just have to strap the box down and just hog the logo off there.

Really neat job, Mike! I just love projects like this!

BTW: With how close you have the passive control to your amps, ICs might possibly be an improvement, and might not. The main thing with this sort of application has to do with the output impedance of the control, the capacitance and length of the cable, and the input sensitive and impedance of the amplifiers.

YOu don't need to spend lots on IC to get very, very good results. Find some good quality coax with a foamed dielectric, copper conductor (either stranded or solid) and a bare copper rather than tinned copper shield, and you will do just as well as spending too much on name brand stuff. The famous Belden stuff is good, but has capacitance values that could be lower, still. It's good qaulity stuff, though. Terminate the cables yourself with jacks of choice and save lots!

Very nice job!

Shorter IC the better with passive...

But some $3 RS Magnet wire home brew into some radio shack RCA will sound better than that Monster Cable Interlink. There are so many sites online with neat IC ideas. Hell, even ole Gizmo has a page on making home brew IC. The Superlatives are very good and you can order the parts for that too.

kh

Looks great (even with the logo), and I bet it sounds good too! Wish I was handy with tools...would love a DIY project, but I don't know which end of a soldering iron to hold onto...really!15.gif

Curious...where did you get that retro knob from? I'd like to find some like that for a tube shortwave radio my dad built me.

----------------

On 12/17/2003 6:44:56 AM rtaylor wrote:

Mike, maybe an overlay of some sort? A nice pc of some contrasting wood. Maybe a small sheet of polished copper or stainless steel would suit your tastes? Just a thought. Nice looking job.

randy

----------------

I like the idea, Randy!

Now you got my brain scrambling on different options.

A piece of copper with the fancy enamel would be a nice inlay, or wood with a fancy pattern of some sort.

(My woodworking ability is pretty lame at best, though.)

I'm just going to sand the slots off the lid and flip it over for now. (I have a amp to get finished.)

A good side project, however...

The box has a little Boiled Linseed Oil over it, it does look better than the Digi-pics.

Jim,

I snarfed the aluminum knob off a old vintage DBX sub-harmonic synthesizer. The PS was toast. And I've never seen so many opamps in a piece of audio gear, a good twenty or better.

It was a 5 dollar garage sale Item. What the heck, a couple nice knobs and a good chassis for something else.

DBX lives!

There's a trick to the soldering iron thing. Just plug it in and grab either end of it. If it sticks to your hand, then you've grabbed the wrong end! Take mental note!

That's my 30 dollar Magnavox single-ended pentode 6BQ5 console amp with a little feedback.

4 Dollar thrift store console purchase, with about another 27 bucks in parts, I figure.

I'm using 2 Mullard EL-84, 6EU7, and EZ-81, it's nice.

Powerwise, it's about on par with a pair 45 mono's or a 45 stereo amp.

Sonically, it's fares damn well with the triode, considering the price, size of circuit, voltages involved, etc....

Let's just say it's a poor man's triode amp.

I also have a Magnavox PP 6BQ5 amp, damn close in sonics to the single-ended pentode amp. The SE amp is just little more open on the top.

The PP amp still needs a couple parts, then I'll compare again.

Randy,

The dimensions of the lid are 8" x 4". Sure, send me couple pieces.

heidij@centurytel.net is my Email, I'll give you my snail mail address.

Thanks!