Help me pick out what I hope to be my last amps for a while

Tubinhard

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe me, I'm not looking for the Holy Grail of anything. I just want the cleanest 25-50 watts I can afford.

Mike said, "But what you have to go through to get the big SET, one would be better off with a moderate sized well-designed Push-Pull."

Ugh yeah, no doubt. I have to pay off my K-horns by March or April, and so I'm not exactly rolling in dough over here.

Well Dean,

As an Owner of one of those, I don't think you could go wrong there. With the Home trial period of 30 days, you could also make sure that it floats your boat. That would be almost 1/2 your actual time of ownership anyway!9.gif

Let's put it this way. My AVA 550exr smokes my Push-Pull AE-25 SuperAmp. I think one of the reasons that SET amps sound so good is that they don't have a lot of components to screw up the sound. My Push Pull is absolutely jam packed with Caps, resistors and wires and there in lies some of the problem. The AVA hybrid has been a design in progress for over 25 years and I think it has paid off!

It has a lot of good things going for it. What really appeals to me is that I won't have to fight frequency response issues when the load varies. This is the only downside of tube gear -- the variations in impedance leading to non-flat response. I also like the idea of having some nice control for the 15 inchers in the bass bins. Using the tubes for voltage, and FETs for output current makes sense to me, and the fact that Frank uses little if any feedback with these designs tells me he's not a spec freak. It's hard not to admire someone who balances the numbers with the sound. I don't see any harm in trying it out. It may not do everything well, but maybe well enough until I can make a low power tube choice I'm comfortable with. I plan on buying some RF-7s again in the future, and I could always move this amp to power those down the road.

Rick,

I'm actually looking at the 350 -- it's the same circuit but with 160 watts instead of 250.

I am going to call Frank on Tuesday and let him give me his thoughts on solid state crossover distortion, and the higher distortion levels inherent with solid state at low power.

Another option that is really appealing to me is the Quicksilver Horn Monos. The online Stereophile review is a good read. Mike Sanders uses them on his Klipschorns, and I figure if they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me.

Basically, I mostly want simplicity. The next year is going to be spent reworking the house, and I'm not going to have time for tweaking. I'm just going to want to turn it on and jam. Anything audio related is hopefully going to be spent rebuilding crossovers for people.

Dean,

"I am going to call Frank on Tuesday and let him give me his thoughts on solid state crossover distortion, and the higher distortion levels inherent with solid state at low power.

"

If you have never talked to Frank before, I will give you some warning. He can be a little intimidating. He has very strong opinions and he will not mince words. His belief in most audio tweaks like power cords and fancy IC's is like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

He has been in this business for over 35 years and having someone tell him that they can hear the difference between Tara Labs Ruby vs. Sapphire Wires is like explaining to the Pope why the Catholic Church has got it all wrong.

I have been an AVA Customer for 18 years now, and know him well. He is in the same Metro area as myself. Mention my name to him and at least he'll know your reference.

Ah but JT, those aren't ordinary SS devices. They are FETS ( field effect transistors). Originally they were developed for highpower voltage regulation. By applying a sample of the output voltage to the basethe device adjusts the voltage output from the emmitter. There is constant current flowing through the device. This constant current passage is similiar to a vacuum tube and facilitates biasing in class A or close to Class A.

Many early SS amps used FETs but their high current demands on the powersupply, high the heat developed by them and the costs associated with heat and power requirements spelled their doom.

Plain and simple FETs are "tubey" SS devices.

Rick