Help me pick out what I hope to be my last amps for a while

Tubinhard

Craig won't be too happy with me, but he'll get over it. :)

Right now, I'm looking for a good Direct Coupled Push-Pull. Of course, I'm open to suggestions. Forget the 1, 3.5, and 8 watt stuff -- it ain't gonna happen.

Since Mike Sanders uses Klipschorns, and I was really happy with the Mono-60's, I'm going to give him a call on Monday and see if he can twist my arm into buying his Horn Monos. I believe they are Direct Coupled, but use substantial feedback. It should be an interesting talk.

Still looking at the possibility of some nice 300B monoblocks if I can scrape the dough together.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean, if you keep circling back to the MC60s, pick up the phone and ring me! I'll be happy to drive them back to you. They are great amps1.gif Did you get my e-mail? Let me know on the tubes.

It is really fun listening to the varied amps and preamps on the vintage Heritage I have. I'm really giving some thought to how things will shake out with the '56 Shorthorn going up in our toddler's room, and the brand new mahogany Herseys currently looking like Uma Thurman - beautiful, but without a bed to lie in.2.gif

I could buy the Jolida 1703 for a powered three channel, which would presage a home theatre setup OR power the toddler's Shorthorn and the mahogany Heresys in our bedroom. Only problem is I have a history of dropkicking heavy objects in the bedroom and breaking toes, so there is a deep aversion to having miscellaneous furniture laying about14.gif I think I could find one of these for around $300 -350, which would provide decent sound for ambient level background music.

Anyway, I digress; give me a ring anyway if you have Mike's #, I have a few questions for both of you. Happy holidays1.gif

I AM the Chairman of the Amp of the Month Club. Anyone want to join. Fees are reasonable.

Gee Craig, first Kelly, and now you. Man, I might have to give up on myself!! :)

Dave, I don't know if you're serious or not -- but my son had a fit when I sold those to you. He wants those really bad, and I've been waiting for another set to come up on Audiogon. Definitely would take them back if you were considering unloading them and getting a set of Quicksilver Horn Monos (hint hint).

I'm not beating you up I'm stating the truth. You are looks motivated and that is fine. I just gave up trying to guide you because no matter what I say your going to make up your own mind. If it makes you happy then do it 9.gif

Your the one that said I was not going to be happy with you. I do believe you've done this a number of times now and I enjoy saying I told you so 2.gif I personally enjoy watching you its a wild ride.

Craig

Let's see, what can I say that won't get me banned...

You told me so what? That Class A DHT pull-pull won't take down a set of MK III's in a room the size of a gymnasium? :) Man, I just don't need more than 20 watts or so in my room. I figure since I'm going to be right up on the damn things, why not stay with Class A? I am struggling here a little bit. It would be nice to have some slam on the bottom, but I'm worried that being so close to the lenses -- my ears might end up paying the price. Don't know, don't know.

Class A Triode really does sound sweet -- maybe too sweet for Rock-n-Roll you think? I've been thinking about that -- but it's hard giving up the soft, smooth treble. Those squawkers need all the help they can get. :)

I won't spend any money until you have a chance to chew my ear off.

Dean,

I can chew you until the sun doesn't shine old buddy! You will still do what ever suits your fancy so just do it. Trust me I will indeed love you anyway13.gif All I'm saying is it doesn't bother me at all.

I personally think most class A PP is somewhat of a joke the way most of these companies do it. If you have a 30 watt Push Pull AB1 amp that stays in class A for a good chuck of that is it really any worse than a class A amp that is nuetered down to no balls when were talking about only using 10 watts of the beast either way 95% of the time ? Especially when you couple it with a No AC balance no seperate bias control per output tube setup like most are today. But hey its Class A to bad the signal entering its great class A operation is slightly skewed to start with and then skewed further by 2 tubes that are conducting differently then one another. I call that almost class A !!

When in the heck are you going to finally try a Tube rectified amp ??? You spent a day at Paul's floored by 3 different Tube rectified amps and you didn't at least get curious about trying it ? I mean your own amp was only hooked up for a few hours you were floored the entire time you were there.

If your going to yet again go down a different path then go down a different path. I been working on my amps the last few days by the way !! Guess what Iron performs no different then a another set of transformers for near half the price 1.gif

Besides you did it again darn it ! Changed everything all at once !! How can you make any clear judgements like that ? Were you afraid I was right about the old Bird amp ??

Craig

PS To the Moderators Dean and I are like brothers so please do not ban us ! You should hear us on the phone this is like making love to us LOL !!!

Mike,

you're too dam funny9.gif

Dean, I'm thinking of ordering Craig's first set of available monoblocs so we can have some fun in the lower midwest. We're kinda like the stomach on the Mississippi, having to process all the used equipment that y'all send us from Michigan and Ohio.

The Quicks are among the BEST monoblocs I have enjoyed for an extended time. While I do not rotate crops as often as you, I still think you won't truely be satisfied until you have them back in the fold. I know little about them, which is a blessing, because it's like a teen who owns an eight year old GTO Judge in prime condition. Too stupid to fully appreciate what is under the hood, but enjoying it, still the same2.gif

The day I find a replacement(the 1703), they will be tagged and addressed for you. If you bump into a Jolida 1703 for a good price, let me know. I want to try convenience in a small package with three channels, and this will go a long way toward breaking a sound dilemna for my illusionary HT.

Thanks Dave, hope you find that Jolida soon, because my son is ready to buy within the next week or so. He's got my RF-7's set up in his room with a crappy integrated from the early 80's -- and it's killing him.

Well Craig, what I can I say except that you're right. Yeah, everything you said was true. Man, that hurt to say that.

"Help me pick out what I hope to be my last amps for a while"

Dean,

I have been thinking about this for a while. If you want to buy your "last amps for a while" can you afford to buy two dozen different amps at one time? If you can that should keep you ocupied for at least a year!2.gif

Rick