Help me pick out what I hope to be my last amps for a while

Tubinhard

Yes, but "tube-like", is not tubes. It will be interesting hearing these pieces. The fact Kevin says the 550ex stomps the AE-25 is surprising. I'm rather fond of that little amp.

Kevin, I spoke at length with Frank when I placed my order for the T7. He actually reminds me very much of someone else I know -- but I won't give you heartburn by mentioning him by name. :)

Ryan, I missed your post somehow. I actually had considered a whole slew of vintage pieces, but I just don't have the stomach for ebay anymore.

Guy, The Gaincard is cool. Check out the prices though. That project sure didn't start out like that. Leave it to the High-End to take a relatively simple concept, using hardly any parts, and then put a sticker price on it putting it out of reach for most.

The new Klipschorn is a bit of different animal. No simple crossover with these, and my gut is telling me to get some meat behind them.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean,

Your suffering from over read syndrome again. Believe almost nothing of what you read, be very sceptical of what you see, what you hear is also very prone to be flawed unless listened to for a very long time to roll through your own mood swings. What sound good one day can sound horrible the next !

Just because the entire room is that size you are not using the entire room ! Your using about what maybe 12' x 12' . That is a large closet. My basement is 28' x 32' without a single partition wall. I surely do not consider it my entire listening area I use about 12' x 10' of that area.

Craig

----------------

On 12/31/2003 9:59:23 AM Guy Landau wrote:

Johnny,

What do you think of this one?

----------------

Thanks Guy, That one's even in my backyard. Anyone have an opinion on the Citation V? Craig, do you think this is plug and play or will it need gone through? How old are the Citation Vs?

Dean,

"and let him give me his thoughts on solid state crossover distortion"

The potential for crossover distortion is a result of the class of an amp, not what output devices it uses. Poorly done class AB amps will have crossover distortion wether they have tubes or SS for output devices. And for the most part push pull tube amps are class AB.

"and the higher distortion levels inherent with solid state at low power."

There is nothing inherent (meaning common to all) about high distortion in SS at low power. At low power levels most SS amps are running class A... just like a class AB tube amp would do as well.

Shawn