Suggestions for favorite recordings of the year...

ChrisK

What are some of your favorite recordings you bought this year?

These are some of mine:

New Vinyl

- Any of the "Best Jazz Ever" 45rpm series from Acoustic Sounds - unbelievable sound quality, expensive but you'll never lose a dime in value if you take care of them. In fact they are continuing the original 25 title set with another 75 titles to be released over the next 3 years.

- Both of the Pure Audiophile titles released this year, Ray Brown "Soular Energy" and Burton/Corea/Metheny/Haynes/Holland "Like Minds" same comments as above regarding quality and price, love the blue vinyl

- Nora Jones, "Come Away With Me" I like this one more after giving a it a rest for a few months

- Jack Johnson, "Brushfire Fairytales" & "On and On" along with John Mayer's "Room For Squares" & "Heavier Things" My daughter pushed me to get these. Not exactly Bob Dylan, but a very nice sound and some good lyrics.

New CD's

- John Mellencamp, "Trouble No More" recorded the old way with tubed microphones and analog equipment. great record, great songs, great sound for a cd.

- Sonny Craver, "Sonny Sings The Blues" excellent singer in the Joe Williams mold.

SACD's

- Bob Dylan, "Blood on the Tracks" what a record! wonderful sound!

- Steely Dan, "Gaucho" an excellent example of how good SACD can be

- George Strait, "Honkytonkville" great sh*t kickin' music, excellent sound

- Wiener Philharmoniker/Kaplan, "Mahler: Symphony No. 2 " wonderful sound and I learned a ton from the liner notes.

- Alison Krauss + Union Station, "Live" this band is so tight, the recording almost doesn't sound live. Excellent sound.

- Tony Bennett, "Playin' With My Friends" some very nice duets here

- Murray Perahia, "Chopin: Etudes Opp. 10, 25" great Sunday morning music

Note - I could put almost every SACD I have on this list. I really hope SACD takes hold as a format.

Biggest Disappointment of The Year

Pink Floyd, "Dark Side of the Moon" (30th Anniversary vinyl reissue) very cool packaging, great sound, but imho the music just doesn't have "legs". It's probably just me, but I didn't enjoy this at all. Maybe I needed some herbal enhancement.

Thanks,

Chris

I will have to give this a bit of thought, as I've probably purchased upwards of 500 LP's this year (God bless the Salvation Army and Goldsmith Pawn). That live Trini Lopez pops into the forefront. Fun little record.

Seriously, though...

Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"

Billie Holiday "The Complete Decca Recordings" or something like that

Bonnie Raitt "Give it Up" I think

Just off the top of my head, if I venture into the stacks, I'll surely come up with a couple dozen more.

----------------

On 12/30/2003 11:24:52 AM rigma wrote:

Chris,

Were do you buy your Vinyl?----------------

rigma,

Most of the new stuff I get online. At the same time living in Southern California allows me to pickup some new stuff at Classic Records and Cisco Music once in awhile. Not to mention the Ameba Music store in Hollywood has a pretty good stock of both new and used.

Good online sources -

http://www.acousticsounds.com

http://www.mofi.com

http://www.amusicdirect.com

http://www.betterrecords.com

Good Luck,

Chris

Most of the 1,000 or so lps I bought this year (most at 50 cents each). Re-discovering the beauty and sound of vinyl. I got some really great lps that blow away the cd versions I already had.

2 of my favorites in that category are Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy" and Bruce Cockburn's "Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws." The latter being one of the best recorded lps I own and it's just a cheap 120 or so gram lp. 63 cents at the thrift store during their 1/2 price sale.

Allan, saw a piece on Passing Ships in Jazz Times not too long ago, never see it in stock locally, if the Connoisseur Series is a limited edition remaster ignoring it too long may be at my peril. I'll try to grab it online along with the next set of Fantasy Jazz remasters due out 13JAN.

btw, can't help but notice how good the sonics are on the Getz Lost Session CD, sounds more like it was recorded just last month, not 1989.. hard one to keep out of the player.

Lets see..

If Chris can count the release of Blood on the Tracks as a new release than I can add the SACD releases of Blonde on Blonde, Planet Waves ( an underappreciated great album), Nashville Skyline, and the rest of the Dylan catalogue that has been released on SACD. A great job on all of them. You cant beat the performance and the sound and the mixes on SACD are top notch.

I will also include the new Mellencamp CD. Although I am very disappointed that he recorded this with old mics on 8 track reel to reel, did numerous interviews stating that after going back to this old gear.. I cant believe we have forgotten how much better this stuff sounds! and still the recording is not on vinyl or SACD (to my knowledge)

Additionally

Gram Parsons Another Side of this Life ( LP) The lost recordings from 1965 to 1966 - Sundazed records. Just the original county rocker by himself with an acoustic guitar. Very poignant very very good. Its not new but the record is!

Dusty Springfield Dusty in Memphis (LP) (4 Men with Beards records) another reissue that counts as a new record. You want to get laid put this on. Enough said.

Maria Muldaur Richland Woman Blues (LP) stoney plain records. Great LP Great acoustic picking from some of the best playing blues from the 20s and 30s

Rosanne Cash Rules of Travel (CD) Great Great release from one of our most underrated performers. Its good to have her back after years of voice problems. Listen to the duet with her late father, September When it comes, knowing that he died in September. Very moving.

Nina Simone Little Girl Blue. ( LP) Re Release on Get Back records. Another cheater because it was originally recorded in 1958 but the reissue is a wonderful sounding pressing of a wonderful performance.

Im sure Ill think of more and hopefully theyll actually be new recordings so they could truly qualify as best of 2003!!!

josh