What should I get,an amp or a turntable?

T_Shomaker

T,

I'll talk to a couple friends here in St. Louis and see if we can scrounge up a decent turntable for you. There are about five regulars from the St. Louis area that visit the two channel almost every day. If you like records, ask your Dad to take you over to Vintage Vinyl when he has time. They have over 30,000 used records, and they are located on Delmar in University City. It is right next to Blueberry Hill and Fitz's, two way cool places to eat!

I should have a Scott 299B to compare to several EICO HF-81 sometime in the near future. Unlike those above, I have used the EICO with rock many times on the Cornwalls with excellent results. Of course, these speakers are nearing the 100dB area but we always have a lot of disagreement here on listening tastes, habits, volume etc, not to mention results. Lately I have been realizing that the EICO does not like to be overdriven; I have been sampling a few of the latest DVD players for Christmas gifts and have gotten some mediocre results, especially with the players with higher than 2v output. IT tends to make the bottom end get loose and the result is not pleasant. I have generally been disappointed with these players for anything but movies.

The only Scott I have heard in recent memory is the 222C but am looking forward to comparing my EICOs with the 299B.

Although not frequenting this place as much in the past, I do plan on dropping back in with these impressions.

I will add that the phono stage in the EICOs can be a bit tricky and more than likely will need some tinkering. It is a bit weaker than the line stage but CAN be good if you get the builder gremlins out. I am currently using a Linn LP-12 via my EICO phono stage, this into some 90dB monitors, but in a small room (my office). The little tube integrated also make GREAT computer amplifiers! I have been having some fun with some streaming college stations. Notice the background shot in the link below!

LINK: Compelling Radio - Streaming FM - WXYC-WXDU etc

kh

Hey T,

Before you spend dough on a fancy tt you should find out if you really are going to go throught the hassle (fun) of dealing with vinyl. Ill send you, free, a very nice DUAL 1009 with a sure m55e cartridge, with a brand new stylus. say the word and Ill ship it off. If your not familiar with DUAL, they were a fine maker of turntables back in the day. Im sure many of the older forum members remember, at the age of 13 lusting after a DUAL 1009! Just email or private message me with your address etc and Ill send it off. Then you can go look for a 200 or Eicho!

happy New Year

josh

The project is a nice tt as is the MM. But take your time. I think that the resurgance of vinyl means that the prices will come down! In the mean time you are more than welcome to use the DUAL until your B - day. Really its just sitting on my workbench, I would be happy to have you use it for as long as you would like.

Josh

My stepdad told me tonight that I could just use his tt, so I will use his until I get my own. For some reaseon I thought he didn't really want me to use it. It is a Technics SH-11P3 with a SME cartridge and arm and it has a diamond stylus. So Josh it turns out I won't have to use your tt.