Amp Suggestions

T_Shomaker

I'm looking for a new amp and I think I'm going to get a solid state amp because I can't afford any tube amps that I like the way they look(McIntosh) and I was told that an Eico wouldn't sound that great with rock music. So I'm looking for something that would be better than the Yamaha A-420 that I'm currently using. I don't care if it's integrated or not, I just care that it's black.

Cheap solid state IS junk, but the good stuff is pretty darn good sounding.

Aren't you the guy on a budget? Why not pick up a used Luxman integrated off of Audiogon? There's also the older HK's that many here are rather fond of.

----------------

On 1/2/2004 5:07:38 PM DeanG wrote:

Cheap solid state IS junk, but the good stuff is pretty darn good sounding.

Aren't you the guy on a budget? Why not pick up a used Luxman integrated off of Audiogon? There's also the older HK's that many here are rather fond of.

----------------

Hey Dean, noticed in your sig that you have a AVA 7 preamp. I'm very interested in their products. Frank seems to have a no nonsense approach to audio that appeals to me. The only problem is no place to listen to them! Have you had yours long and are you happy with the products???????? Thank You, Randy

"Why do you like the looks of an HF-81, it isn't black?"

It can be painted black!

"Don't go down the solid-state path, solid-state amplifiers are junk."

Ryan, do you know that for a fact? Do you always speak carelessly? McIntosh SS amps are not junk, mind you!

Neo, I think he means the faceplate. Painting a whole Eico black would make it uglier than it already is.

Randy, Frank is in the process of building the preamp. I probably won't have it for another couple of weeks. I bought the preamp on the recommendation of Cutt-throat (Kevin), and the fact that I've never seen a single one these units on Audiogon.

Yes, Frank is very "no-nonsense". Rumor has it that Craig is his illegitimate son.9.gif

----------------

On 1/2/2004 5:04:00 PM Ryan C. Inman wrote:

----------------

On 1/2/2004 4:20:32 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

I'm looking for a new amp and I think I'm going to get a solid state amp because I can't afford any tube amps that I like the way they look(McIntosh) and I was told that an Eico wouldn't sound that great with rock music. So I'm looking for something that would be better than the Yamaha A-420 that I'm currently using. I don't care if it's integrated or not, I just care that it's black.

----------------

What don't you like about the Scott amplifiers? Why do you like the looks of an HF-81, it isn't black? Don't go down the solid-state path, solid-state amplifiers are junk. You have quality speakers, and if you buy a quality amplifier to drive them with, you'll have a great setup.

My offer still stands, I'll even expand it: If you buy a vintage Scott, Eico, or Fisher, I'll rebuild it for nothing!

-Ryan

----------------

This is a very nice gesture by Ryan. And it is very likely worth several hundred dollars. I strongly suggest you take him up on this before he retracts the offer. I certainly would if he made the offer to me.

I have yet to meet anyone that didn't like the sound of a tube amp.

more SS vs. tube argument again (30+years now & still going) UGH!

Forget about it. Yes there are differences. ULTIMATELY I would say I prefer SOME tube amps over any SS I've heard. But you can buy something like a Crown D60 (40w/ch)for $100. They last forever. They're built strongly (A UPS truck rolled over one that fell out backing into the depot. It still worked) but small & light. And regardless of whether you like Crown or not, the D60 is one of their best sounding units.

T,

the offer from Ryan is an incredible deal. Many of us love tube amplifiers, because they sound wonderful. However, there is a lot of responsibility that comes with them. If you turn a tube amp all the way up to 9 or 10, the tubes will blow sooner or later.

If you want a solid state amp that you do not have to treat with responsibility, then you should go over to Alpha Audio. They are at 1502 South Big Bend in Richmond Heights. They are directly behind the Asthma and Allergy Foundation, just south of Highway 40. Give them a call at 314.645.5250, and ask for the owner, Zal. He will have a used amplifier that will make you very happy. They all are very reasonably priced, and he will give you a warranty as well.

I wish you could take up Ryan's offer, but I think you may be a couple years too young to really enjoy a tube amp. Good luck with your search!

Howdy.

I have both SS and tube amps and it basically goes like this; you pretty much get what you pay for whether SS or Glass. The main thing going with quality SS gear is that you don't have to do anything to maintain it, like replacing tubes or biasing, etc. on a regular basis. On the other hand SS amps do not quite sound like a class A SET amp either (mine typically are AB). Can't help you on that choice... It gets worse on the tube gear in that there are many other choices that have to be made: feedback or not, tube types, circuit design and componentry, wiring (point-to-point or boards) employed, SS or tube rectification, mono-block or stereo, transformer output or not, biasing methods, etc.

ARC, Classe, Krell, Meridian, and McIntosh all make fine SS gear. I am running the Mc 300 now, and have no plans to change, although I don't need the wattage. Heard that big iron has better bass at low wattage than lesser iron turned up a bit... makes sense distortion-wise, but not sure why the bass would (or should) be better... has to do with the power supply, but I digress.

All I can say for sure is: DO NOT BUY CHEAP JAPANESE CONSUMER ELECTRONICS if you want critically good sound.

I like American/Canadian and/or British products but they are costlier... they will last longer and sound better.

Good luck,

DM2.gif

I love the way the Eico looks painted black. I would get a Scott but there are not very many that would look good in my room(my bedroom is kind of contemporary). I said black because I like black and most things in my room are black or stainless steel, but I really want black audio equipment. As for the suggestion to go to BestBuy I would never go to Bestbuy to buy things for my stereo(except for monster cable). Yes I am the guy on a budget but now I have $150 and I thought maybe I could save up to buy what I wanted. So now I am just planning what I'm going to buy in the near future. I can spend as much as I want really I just don't want to save for a year to buy something. If I wanted I could save up all year and by Christmas I could have a McIntosh MA230.

T,

Loud can be good9.gif

Loud and clear is better!

The Mac MA230 is about as bad(like horrible) as Mcintosh ever made. The preamp section really is lousy. I will go over to Alpha Audio tomorrow and see what Zal has in both black and stainless/brushed aluminum. I also have a busted Crown D150. If Zal can fix it for under a hundred dollars, and if you like it, you can give me the cost of the repair and it is yours. It is about 75 watts of Crown power a side.

Remember, part of being cool is knowing what is quality good equipment. I still have my first amplifier I got when I was fifteen, not because of its looks, but because it sounds great. Looks are in second place until you get married and your wife wants everything to look nice.13.gif2.gif

I can atest to the fact about big amps vs small amps as far as bass goes. I originally ran my Belles with a Tandberg 2075 Reciever. When I upgraded it to the 3006 & 3008 pre-amp and amp (conservative 150 WPS) it made a big differnce. But when I recently bought a McIntosh MC 352 (350 WPS) the bass really opened up at low watts. It was such a differnce I couldn't believe it nwas the same speakers. I feel in love with my Belles all over again whether hi or very low volumes. Buy the best highest quality amp you can afford because it really does make a big differnce. At least in my case it did.

hog

Taylor,

I'm sorry, but I had a rough night last night. Our baby was sick, and I had to stay up til midnight to watch a news report on my little brother's company in Iraq. I called and left a message for Zal. Monday I will be able to make it over there, as I have to take Zal an Apt Holman preamp I want repaired.

I will target amps between 25 and 60 watts. That will be enough to rock the house, but should not cause your neighbors to call the police. College is when you really want to wait for the police to start calling on you regarding noise complaints!2.gif

Remember the thumbrule for sound pressure level when calculating the different power requirements for an 80 vs a 100 dB efficiency speaker system. An 80 dB speaker will need an 140 to 200 watt amp to get as loud as a 20 watt amp with 100dB efficiency speakers. With your Heresys, 20 to 50 good, clean watts will glaze your eyes, crack your teeth, and make Elton John sound like Ozzy or Metallica! Well, maybe...