OT: Anyone here drink Scotch?

m00n

Guest Anonymous

The very best of the Irish is "Red Breast". Pricy but good. It used to be difficult to find in the USA. However, a few months ago I found it in the Centenial chain of stores in Dallas (the wet parts of Dallas).

]

Gil,

Now your talkin my language, Irish wiskey been bery bery good to me, BUT I never tried red breast, anyway for me to buy us a few bottles, 1 for you and 1 for me2.gif maybe for the gathering at smilins?

Steve12.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rick's opinions

Realy good mid price

Johnie Walker Black

Higher

Glen fidich 12 yr

Glen livit 12 yr

Better

Mc Callans 12-18 yr

Glenlivit 18 yr WHOOOO

overpriced

Johnnie Walker Blue( I would go for a good Cognac or tequila)

==========

never liked Scotch until I started working for my current boss 10 years a go it has been a bit of a scotch adventure and keeping on his good side.

hootch.jpg

I'm mostly a beer drinker, so whisky and scotch don't get touched too much in my house. The bottles you see here in my kitchen are from the mid to late '60s, given to my dad as office party Christmas gifts many years ago. The Seagram's V.O. Canadian Whisky bottle on the right has never been opened; the seal has never been broken, and is dated 1969 (and was bottled 6 years prior, making this bottle of whisky 41 years old). I wonder how this well aged whisky tastes today (I don't dare open it now after all these years...all the other bottles have been opened and are half empty). I hear the Johnnie Walker Red Scotch Whisky turns sour once it's been opened; if true, then this bottle from '66 has got to be pretty nasty! I don't have the balls (or the stomach) to try it!

Maybe the V.O. is worth something on eBay, huh?2.gif

post-11084-1381925140326_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 1/10/2004 11:06:46 PM DALE WALKER wrote:

Blended scotchs are for those who don't really appriciate what scotch really is.

----------------

Ahh! Scotch! My favorite drink!

While I tend to agree and most I know do too, I've read that this is also kind of a snobby attitude and that there are some blended scotches that, when egos are put aside, actually do not fail to impress. which blended scotches these were I don't remember. I've never actually tried Walker Blue or White, but I would assume they would be pretty smooth and finished?

Personally, I don't like Spring Bank, Oban, Lagulavan (spelling?), strathisla, glenmorangie, or talisker. all too oaky and woody to me. my favorite as of now is Macallan 18, rocks. I don't think there is another scotch i've tried within the $30-$70 bottle range that is better.

drunk dog 3.jpg

Whiskey Contains Traces Of Carcinogens

NEW YORK (Reuters)

Whiskey has been shown to contain small amounts of carcinogenic compounds, called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or PAHs.

"PAHs are of concern to human health because several representatives of this chemical family are considered to be carcinogenic," wrote Dr. Jos Kleinjans, of the Department of Health Risk Analysis and Toxicology at Maastricht University in The Netherlands.

Kleinjans and colleagues purchased 18 different whiskey brands and ranked them from highest to lowest in terms of carcinogenicity, which was calculated from animal studies of PAHs.

The worst? Scotch malt whiskeys, such as Glenfiddich, had the highest carcinogenic potential, with blended whiskeys such as Chivas Regal, Johnnie Walker Red and Ballantines next in line. Third were American bourbons, such as Southern Comfort, Jack Daniels, and Four Roses. The Irish whiskies, including Bushmill's Malt, Jameson and Tullamore Dew, had the lowest concentration of PAHs.

Previous studies have shown that drinking whiskey is linked to increased risk for developing cancers of the mouth, esophagus, and colon.

On 1/11/2004 11:41:09 AM Maron Horonzak said:

"Good Scotch has to be at least 16 yrs old or it tastes like the scrapings from a toilet bowl. BLETH!!!!"

Maron, please tell me you don't really know what scrapings from a toilet bowl taste like!

Just kidden! Last night my wife made a new dip that she saw made on TV. The kid and I agreed that it tasted like what gets flushed down the toilet. We really don't know either!

Single malt scotches are like people, no two are exactly alike, and some are total opposites. If you like lighter whisky then you should stick with the lowland or highland types. If your more adventurous then you should try the

Islay or Campbeltown malts. THe islay's are my favorite particularly laphroig, lagavulin, and ardbeg if you can find it. It pays to purchase some of the airline size bottles to see what you like, but be careful much like tubes, fly-fishing and belgian beer it can be a painfully expensive hobby. Also since whisky doesn't age in glass like it does in barrels the older whisky can only be damaged by improper storage and not improve much

----------------

On 1/11/2004 12:36:22 PM space_cowboy wrote:

No offense, but if you don't drink it, why keep all that junk in your kitchen? In another post, if you really sell the VO, I'll bid...

----------------

I don't know...my bro's and I keep it all for sentimental reasons. All that booze has been in our family since the '60s; they're like family to us!3.gif They're antiques that only get better (or worse) with age. I don't know if I want to sell the V.O. (obviously my folks don't care anymore; they don't really drink anyway, and they now live in CT while the whisky is down here in FL). Is the unopened bottle of V.O. even worth anything?

Hi Moon!

Yes, Scotch is a whiskey. But then, as whiskey is defined as:

"An alcoholic liquor distilled from grain, such as corn, rye, or barley, and containing approximately 40 to 50 percent ethyl alcohol by volume."

almost *ANYTHING* sold as alcohol is a whiskey.

I really, really like Johnie Walker Red. I think it has an up, lively, course character. I think JW Black is too flat. The single malt's (glenfeddich, et al) are "smoother", but I miss the bite. Comparing Scotch to American whiskeys like Jack Daniels is interesting. There are a lot of obvious similarities, but there are subtle differences. In fact, comparing Jack to JW is sort of like comparing solid state to tubes. They both have their high points, and I enjoy both on occation, but if I had to select one over the other, there wouldn't be any question in my mind.

If you take the time to compare a lot of different whiskeys against each other, you might find (as I have) that they fall into two camps. Crown Roayl, Chivas Regal and most other Scotch, White Label, Dewars, Jack Danials and several others are of similar ilk, while Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, Old Grandad, Maker's Mark and other "Old West USA" whiskeys are quite different. If you like any given drink from one group you'll probably find the others at least palitable, thile those from group two are awful.

Single malt scotch is my poison of choice. For a lighter, smoother taste, try a single malt finished in port wine casks such as Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish (12 years old). The sherry-finished malts are also good, not too heavy. Some of the more distinctive malts such as Lagavulin (some may say full-bodied) are from the Islay region. The Orkney Island malts such as Highland Park are typically not as bold. Generally, I think that the Speyside malts tend to be lighter, such as The Macallan, which is a great whiskey for someone trying single malts for the first time. Also, a little water brings out the best in most malts, so try diluting it with different water ratios until you find the right mixture for you (I like about 30% water, with a lot of ice, which will melt thereby diluting even more).

As for the high-end blends, I have a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue ($200 per bottle - it was a gift). It is incredibly smooth with a lot of character and a hint of a smoky, peaty taste (they claim that it is blended with malts that are over 60 years old). However, if I were going to spend $200, I would much rather come home with a bottle of Macallan 18, a bottle of Highland Park 12, and a bottle of Glenmorangie 18.11.gif

I used to be quite the single-malt snob several years back. Then I went to Scotland and while staying at the Golf Hotel at Glendronach I was invited to a local dance by one of my playing partners. (Aside to golfers--Royal Dornach is THE most amazing golf course I have ever seen and I have seen PLENTY!)

scotland4.jpg

Anyway, I went to this party/dance and was VERY excited to drink the famous single-malt from this little hamlet which is some 90 miles NORTH of Inverness--we're talking WAY WAY north--you can tee off at 9:30 PM and get in 18 EASY in July! I ordered a drink and the bartender was SHOCKED that I was wanted it neat! ALL OF THE LOCALS who INVENTED this stuff were drinking it mixec 50/50 with LEMONADE!

So much for being a snob . . . .