BEST RECEIVER UNDER $1000

dtximages

I know that you do not need tons of power to make Klipsches sound good and loud but I have hear many people say that more power just makes them that much better. THis is my issue with HK, they are rated very low in power. I would love to pump about 150 watts into them. What do you guys think about this low power rating?

Im looking at the new Sony ES line, they are beautiful!! I like the STR-DA5000ES and THE STR-DA3000es. Im also looking at the HK AVR-630 and the AVR-7200. Im also looking at the Denon AVR-2803 and AVR-3803. I wish i could listen to each of them but thats not really possible. I have a sony ES now and its a bit bright. I just want someone to tell me straight up which one to buy. THe HK 630 is so awesome looking as well as the sony. But sound comes first. THANKS ALOT!!

----------------

On 1/11/2004 4:10:45 PM clspruiell wrote:

Im looking at the new Sony ES line, they are beautiful!! I like the STR-DA5000ES and THE STR-DA3000es. Im also looking at the HK AVR-630 and the AVR-7200. Im also looking at the Denon AVR-2803 and AVR-3803. I wish i could listen to each of them but thats not really possible. I have a sony ES now and its a bit bright. I just want someone to tell me straight up which one to buy. THe HK 630 is so awesome looking as well as the sony. But sound comes first. THANKS ALOT!!

----------------

I have a Sony DA5ES receiver and a bit bright as well, but plays nicely, getting used to it is part of the journey I think. I've heard tell the 5000ES has a more Tube like sound to them, a bit warmer, tempted to move up a notch but have only had my receiver a little over a year so I'll wait probably two more years and see whats available by then!

Playing RF7s as mains

RC7 for the center and

SB2s for the rears

Using a lovely Velodyne SPL1200 for the sub, that thing pounds! plus has a very small footprint as well!

Good luck sir, I always envy those that are about to buy! 2.gif

G2

Sony doesn't get much love when it comes to audio components, but I'm still building my HT, and bought a Sony 1000ES, and LOVE it! Then again, I have a much lower budget, and that receiver was the "best bang for the buck" for my needs.

That said, the 2000ES and up use the new digital amplification. Many people who have auditioned them said they sound wonderful, and very "tube like". However, at least the 3000ES has been plagued with low volume, and hiss at normal listening levels. At this time its unclear whether its fixed or not, so I would steer clear of this model. A *few* have said the 5000ES requires you to crank the volume up to get a decent listening level, but the new digital amplification could be the reason why. I am not sure, but a digital receiver may be able to have the volume cranked all the way up without clipping, while an analog receiver may start clipping before the volume gets halfway. Again, I am not positive about this, but its a guess-that would at least account for why you seem to have to crank the volume up more so than an analog unit.

Also, while the Sonys can drive low impedance speakers, you normally have to flip a switch in the back, which effectively lowers the output power, so the receiver can handle the lower impedance speakers. Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend running anything but 8 ohm speakers with the Sony. The digital amps seem to be even more touchy about low impedance speakers.

I would say the best thing is to audition one if you really like it. Noone can tell if you will like the sound or not but you. If you like the looks of the newer Sony ES's, but they are not to your liking, I would suggest looking at a Denon 3803S (silver). That would have been my choice, had it have fell in my budget.

My nickel...

-Alan

Just to let you know, I wouldn't use my DA5ES for music no matter what. It's horrible. Great for HT but really bad for 2-channel music. My '70s kenwood reciever blows it away. Tubes blow the kenwood away. Not a question of preference. It's a fact.

BTW - Music DVDs sound good with the sony. Just not 2-channel.

Don't worry about HK's power ratings...they are more than

enough to power the RF7's. As you can see from the posts

every one has opinions as to what they like. You say that

you cannot audition the receiver, but you need to. I can tell

you what I like but honestly it may be not to your liking. The best

question would be what receivers, models or brands to stay away from. At least people can tell you features they wish they had or

problems with their current model. For $1,000 dollars you can

get a great receiver whether Denon, HK, Sony, Pioneer or Yamaha.

Good Luck

----------------

On 1/11/2004 8:49:38 PM garymd wrote:

Just to let you know, I wouldn't use my DA5ES for music no matter what. It's horrible. Great for HT but really bad for 2-channel music. My '70s kenwood reciever blows it away. Tubes blow the kenwood away. Not a question of preference. It's a fact.

BTW - Music DVDs sound good with the sony. Just not 2-channel.

----------------

Amen to that! I can't believe the sound my CD's have on the DA5ES...ugh, I need to get a dual system up!

HT though as you say rocks!

G2

i second whoever said NAD.

btw, if you guys think that the 1000-2000ES and DA5ES rocks.........if you ever have a chance to hear the 9000ES separates and 777ES(sold for less then 6months due to lack of profit) receiver, you be amazed. To get the same sony ES quality now from the two, you may need to opt for their new $4-5k DA9000ES reciever.

Dont under judge Sony audio amps. I know used to, but when i auditioned the 60lbs 777ES, the only thing that could best it was the Marantz SR-18 at the time, but that cost nearly 4 times more. The Yamaha DSP-A1, and Denon 4800 and 5700 sound similiar or a tad better and sometimes worst, but 3-4 times more for the asking price does not justify it. If you have either the 9000ES separates or the 777ES, you be sure to use it for music. The 777 were used to powered PSB Gold series, Rf-7, martin logans, and many other speakers. Unluckily, Sony didnt make alot of money of off it and discontinued the model. Then came out with their less then superior DA3ES to the DA7ES line. If you want more info, check out this site http://jbmaudio.com.

Unfortunately i never heard the new ES, so i am not able to say the same for their 1000ES to 3000ES line, and even the 5000ES. But i have seen the guts of the new 9000, and it looks up to par with the 5803.

ANYWAYS........for under 1000 dollars, you cant go wrong with NAD. Their integrate amps and separates are very musical. And i always said that if a component can do well in music, it can do decent in home theater even though musical components are tuned for naturally made sounds as home theater components are tuned for man made effects. ( dont ask me what that means, but i always heard it from people, now if only if someone can explain that to me, lol, 2.gif )

Harman kardon is the sweetest sound iv'e heard yet. Don't look at their watts their alot more powerful than sony or onkyo. Beleive me when you here hk with klipsh's you will be late for work you won't beable to sleep. You will just want to listen to your speakers all the time they never fatigue you. Seriously I have an onyko it doesn't cut it know that i heard my brothers hk hooked up to my system i am now saving up for the hk. I heard nad is sweet to, and i am sure the rotels are. If i had that kind of money i would try the rotel then nad then hk. But i don't. But if you want to save money and have a guaranteed sweet sound hk is the way to go.