Cornwall grill cloth not acoustically transparent

coda

Had the chance last night and further extended time today listening without the black grill cloth on my 1976 Cornwalls, a little more listening fatigue sans cloth, guessing it's heightened awareness of some ringing with the midrange horn that's not as apparent with the grill back on. Also noticed with certain material that the extra bit of revealing nature without the grill could be a nice thing. The weave pattern on this black grill cloth results in a heavier "stripe" that runs vertically. Looking at the cane grill cloth samples available at wendellfabrics.com it appears a heavier stripe weave runs both vertically and horizontally.

Couple of questions, are there audible differences changing from the original Cornwall black grill cloth to the cane cloth, is the fabric weave on the 1970's Khorn different from the Cornwall and if so, how, and lastly does anyone prefer listening to their Cornwalls full-time without the grill cloth? TIA for responses.

speak1.jpgcane7.jpg

There was a time when the cloth was actually part of the voicing of the speaker. Changes in the crossover were even made to accomodate the fabric choice for the grill. Not just Klipsch, but Advent, AR, Dahlquist, Magnepan, and a host of others. I would imagine even still, there are current designs out (new Heritage for sure) not using an acoustically "transparent" fabric.

Cornwalls greatly benefit from caulking the squawker lens, from the mouth of the horn all of the way to the motorboard. I even caulked the small lens for the tweeter when I had mine -- and I thought there was much improvement. Of course, I was trying to control resonances that were clearly audible at 85db and upwards.

I have owned a plethora of speakers over the years from monitors to floorstanders. Without fail, in every instance, once I got the system optimized, I ran the speakers WITHOUT grills. I found almost all of the grill coverings to restrict transparency somewhat, no matter what the material. Indeed, with my ProAc Mini Towers, I actually packed my grills up and have not seen them in almost 14 years; they are still in the original box. All my monitors are run without grills.

What's my point? The Klipsch Cornwalls, which are one year after Tad's and also Decorator Series with the grill kit, are the only speakers that I think sound BETTER with the grills on. While I have occassionaly run them off, it sounds as if it was voiced with them on.

I was actually at Tad's house late last night and told him to ditch the grills for a bit as I thought his system/setup and room might actually appreciate the CW sans grills. While some stuff did work well, just as noted, the majority sounded more neutral with the grill. Removing the grill seemed to push the reproduction just a "Tad" into the hot zone. So I still prefer my CW WITH the grills, whether digital or vinyl sources.

kh

ps - Tad, I dont know of ANY grill cloth that is totally acoustically transparent. Even models that CLAIM to be, while perhaps better than others, is still not as acoustically transparent sans grills.

Craig and me were just kidding about the cotton and the Cornwall squawker -- though the Cornwall does tend to brittle up in the midrange when pushed really hard. Of course we're talking REALLY hard.

I always wondered how grill cloths affect the dispersion pattern, or if they do at all.

The left hand cornwall grill cloth looks very like the cloth on the Heresy 2. That was certainly not transparent sonically although I prefered the Heresies playing with rather than without.

Of course there are grill covers and grill covers. My Sansui's are part cloth part wood:

Dsc00015.jpg?dc=4675391577013047905

And it that isnt enough - behind those grills are:

Dsc000180.jpg?dc=4675391577063648982

I tried all 4 combinations possible with varying results. Ultimately I ended up putting the whole thing back together and using them complete - if nothing else it means I dont lose the bits.

----------------

On 1/19/2004 12:17:58 AM mobile homeless wrote:

...What's my point? The Klipsch Cornwalls, which are one year after Tad's and also Decorator Series with the grill kit, are the only speakers that I think sound BETTER with the grills on. While I have occassionaly run them off, it sounds as if it was voiced with them on.

I was actually at Tad's house late last night and told him to ditch the grills for a bit as I thought his system/setup and room might actually appreciate the CW sans grills. While some stuff did work well, just as noted, the majority sounded more neutral with the grill. Removing the grill seemed to push the reproduction just a "Tad" into the hot zone. So I still prefer my CW WITH the grills, whether digital or vinyl sources.

kh----------------

Couldn't disagree more. I listened
extensively
to my Cornwall's both with and without grills (comprised of cane, linen, and speaker cloth from various mfrs.) before the final refinishing and found virtually
ZERO
difference. Oh sure, if you were sitting in the "sweet spot", didn't move your head and concentrated
real
hard, you might hear a minutely small difference. But then again, was the difference good, bad or "placebo"? Can't say for sure. But I will say when compared with source material (cd, sacd, vinyl) differences, it wasn't even worth discussion.

Regards,

Chris

PS The guy on the website listed below seems like kind of a wacko, but some of the points in the article seem to make sense. Any comments?

Chris, dont know what to say here. The grill cloth difference is anything but placebo as it's very discernable to me. It's actually detectable on every speaker I have ever heard and why many ditch the grills. In fact, the Cornwalls stand out in that they are one of the FEW spaekers that I DO like with grills. I am really surprised you hear zero difference. Tad and I heard a definite difference just the other night when we dropped the grills (it was the first time I think he had done this), this with the Sony SCD-777es, Wright Sound WLA-12a, WPA-3.5 Monos, and 76 Cornwalls with AlNiCo (mid/tweet) and Type B xovers. Just like mine, his speakers are basically stock. Lordy, Audrey heard the difference here.

Is the difference night and day? I dont think so on some material. IF the material is a bit hot to begin with, the grill actually does remove a bit of the last degree in sibilance just as Tad noted above. As I noted, I usually use ALL my speakers without the grills as it's been a easily definable improvement. The Cornwalls were the first speaker I felt sounded best to me with the grills on. Again, really surprised you heard ZERO difference. I have not heard a grill material that didnt affect the reproduction of the highs somewhat, the Cornwall definitely included.

kh

ps- As for the article, not going to comment on this guy but I have always noted this difference in vinyl vs digital, but the gap has narrowed. This was really more problematic on long tern listening early on. At least there has been some progress. Still, I agree in that vinyl reproduction is less fatiguing, even now (I still noticed the gap between the Sony SCD-77es and good vinyl although with the Sony 777se, it didnt seen related to the top end.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! 1.gif

My very first pair of Heresy's (which I still have) came with cane grilles. My next pair of Klipsch's were a pair of vertical horn model Cornwalls that were too good to pass up. Unfortunately, the grilles were black. Then I picked up three more Heresy's and they too had black grilles. Thus began my brain cramp of whether to get rid of the cane grilles (my favorite) and go all black or try to get cane grille material and convert the others (what I really wanted to do). Trouble was....Klipsch doesn't carry cane grille material and I could never find any place that had cane speaker grille material.

UNTIL NOW!!

WOO HOO!! 9.gif

Tom