Fair price on used K-Horns?

Merscruggs

There is a used pair of K-Horns for sale in my city for $3200. Seller say's one cabinet is scratched up, needing sanding and refinishing. Other is fine, both fine sound wise. What is a fair price for late model K-Horns? I really have no idea. I'm in the market for new Klipsch speakers and while I wasn't particulary looking for K-Horns, sometimes things just fall in your lap!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 1/20/2004 9:48:51 AM Merscruggs wrote:

There is a used pair of K-Horns for sale in my city for $3200. Seller say's one cabinet is scratched up, needing sanding and refinishing. Other is fine, both fine sound wise. What is a fair price for late model K-Horns? I really have no idea. I'm in the market for new Klipsch speakers and while I wasn't particulary looking for K-Horns, sometimes things just fall in your lap!----------------

That's too much. Offer him $2000

----------------

On 1/20/2004 9:59:42 AM Merscruggs wrote:

I should mention the owner says they were bought new in Oct. 2002 for $7500.00. Is that really the new retail price?
----------------

I don't believe they are quite that much new.

DeanG from the Forum just bought a new pair recentl. I am sure he'd give you an approximation of what they go for new.

----------------

On 1/20/2004 9:59:42 AM Merscruggs wrote:

I should mention the owner says they were bought new in Oct. 2002 for $7500.00. Is that really the new retail price?
----------------

2002's and they need refinishing? Pass, unless you can steal them for less than $2K. Someone who would treat there horns will that little care and respect? Didn't deserve them in the first place. Oak? Walnut? You don't say.

----------------

On 1/20/2004 10:59:40 AM mbajner wrote:

a forum member DTLongo bought some 2003 K-horns.

I never seen him post what he paid for them.

if the list was $7500, should have gotten at least 10% off list.

----------------

Tom paid a lower price than retail. It's not my place to tell you what he paid but I saw the receipt. He got a reasonable discount. Baltimore you say? heh heh. Where did you find them? Was there an ad in the paper? I'm just outside of Baltimore also.

How does someone scratch up 1 year old speakers? Khorns nontheless! He's not worthy!

Greg,

I just re-read the zebrawood heresy project. I don't know how I missed the end where you show both risers. When I opened them I was a little dismayed to find just standard risers on them. When I opened the back of the speaker and found the slanted risers my jaw dropped! I popped them on last night. Too cool!

I've been listening to them every day instead of the altecs just because they look so damn nice! I haven't lugged them upstairs yet to find a suitable spot to use as side surrounds. I think I'll wait for the matching woofer. I may be able to get away with it once I put that in.2.gif

$7,500??? Retail bluebook you used car buyers!!

1996 models listed at $5,000 new, paid $3,500. Had a friend who heard mine and found a pair over the net for $1,750. Cabinets had minor wear, but nothing that needed refinishing.

I'm thinking you should go in at $1,800.00 or let him read these posts!!

Find out what he's going to buy to replace them and maybe that will lead you to the price he's asking..........

----------------

On 1/20/2004 11:44:22 AM Merscruggs wrote:

Well the guy posted them on Audiogon this morning. I just got an e-mail from him saying he has a "sale pending". Actually, they would be a little

----------------

Merscruggs,

Someone else in our area was selling a pair of cornwalls not long ago (maybe a week). I deleted his email address but I'm sure I could find it again if you're interested.

Let me know if you want me to hunt it down.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1079744793

If that one horn wasn't scratched up, being 2002 models, they would be worth the asking price IMHO. But a professional refinishing job on that one would be costly at a cabinette shop or auto body shop. Then there is the risk that they won't match afterwards. Of course if Merscruggs posted pictures of the damage it would be better. Who knows maybe he or his bride are overly fussy and the scratches aren't really as bad as it seems.

I would have put them on ebay after the forum. More eyes more bidders.

Rick

----------------

On 1/20/2004 11:44:22 AM Merscruggs wrote:

Well the guy posted them on Audiogon this morning. I just got an e-mail from him saying he has a "sale pending". Actually, they would be a little

Sale pending? lol

I'll belive it when he pulls them.

And I agree with Rick. Much more exposure on eBay. A worldwide target audience.

And generally speaking there are less experienced audiophiles lurking there which would be better for a seller of scratched up 2002 Khorns one would think.