m00n gots a new toy! Oh yeah, hand me them speaker plans!

m00n

----------------

On 1/24/2005 3:47:13 PM J.4knee wrote:

Know any place to get a panel bit set for a router? Been to HD, Lowes, Sears, Harbor Freight...nuttin!
14.gif
I am building an entertainment center to accomdate my 52 in DLP TV and I want to make raised panel doors for the CD/DVD storage areas.

----------------

Try http://www.eagle-america.com

and Google "CMT router bits" and see who sells them online.

I've got a bunch of the orange CMT bits as well as a panel bit set from them and have always been happy with the quality of their bits. You're going to need a BA router (5HP or so) or a shaper to spin that big bit that raises the panels. Be careful. Every time I've used one I always felt like it was itching to trim my fingernails.

Moon, I've got an 8" Freud Dado set that I use on a 10" saw. To tell you the truth, I've gotten to where I use a router to cut dados and rabbets instead of my table saw. CMT makes some bits that are sized specifically for plywood thicknesses (3/4" plywood is not 3/4" thick). I've found set-up quicker with better accuracy. Also, I like to keep the splitter and blade guard on my saw, and you have to remove these (usually) for to use a dado blade. If you are going to use a dado blade, make sure you get an extra zero-clearance throat plate to use with it to improve dust collection and minimize tear-out.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on. While I know that the table saw is supposed to be the heart of the shop, I fear and respect it. I avoid it if I can. Thus, if I can do it with a router, i will.

As far as dust collection? *CAUGH-CAUGH* see that ploom of dust? 4.gif Actually i have a HF dust collector, I've just never gotten the hoses to attatch it all up. That stuff is expensive so I've been trying to use my shop vac. But, I've got to start getting the stuff I need for the DC even if it's a piece here and there. My lungs don't care a lot for this fine dust.

m00n, check this out:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/

I've amassed a fair number of his tools over the years, and love 'em. Outstanding workmanship, quality, and utility. They're almost too pretty to use. This one's my favorite:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=62

It's old-school, but it's not as hard to use as you might think. You won't lose a digit, but I have taken off a chunk of hide large enough to throw on the grill.

m00n, m00n, m00n, when you gonna learn??? 2.gif

You sound like a Mexican Resturant that waited until after its' Grand Opening to get the bathrooms installed!! A good collection system is first on my list of goodies for the woodshop, I KNOW that SWMBO won't tolerate fine dust slowly wafting up from the downstairs and covering everything in the house. Especially with it sharing a wall with the listening room, I need to make darn sure I'm collecting all the dust I possibly can.

GET THAT SHOP VAC HOOKED UP TO THE DUST PORTS!! I know it's a pain to switch back and forth, but when I was doing my beadboard this weekend, I made a couple adapter fittings to get the Dewalt DW760 hooked up to the shop vac, had hardly any dust on the table and none I could notice in the air or surrounding area.

YeeeOUCH.. That's an expensive plane. I have no doubt it's VERY nice, but a bit more than I wanna spend right now. His chisels are not cheap either. Nice, but again... I better hold off. I do need some however. I think my price range are the ones I seen at costco the other day. 2.gif

Champaign...

I do wheel the shop vac from tool to tool as needed. That planer makes a HUGE mess. I'm not worried about the dust getting in the house, but I am worried about it getting into my theater. My shop and theater are in a sepparate building from the house.

But m00n, with those expensive planes you won't need a dust collector!

As for chisels, don't go cheap. Granted the L-Ns are expensive, but get some decent chisels with good steel. They'll hold their edge longer and you can get them a lot sharper. And sharpness is the key to using a chisel (or a plane) properly. You should be able to shave with them. Look for a set of bench chisels, not the butt chisels you can get at Costco. They'll be a lot more versatile and they've got enough backbone to chop a mortise.

Have fun!

----------------

On 1/24/2005 9:16:26 PM rpittman wrote:

But m00n, with those expensive planes you won't need a dust collector!

Have fun!

----------------

True, but I like to work fast. With 2 children and a full time job, I don't get much shop time. But a lack of dust everwhere would be nice!

Congrats on the new toys! It sure is nice to have tools.

When my uncle died, I bought most of his machines just to keep them in the family as I am not a wood worker they are not getting used. I picked up a 6" jointer 8" plainer, 10" table saw, shaper, wood lathe and chisels, about 30 saw blades including a couple of dado sets, his metal lathe and industrial drillpress, some odds and ends. I have had the equipment for about 10 years and really haven't done anything with it. With the exception of the metal lathe, it sits in the corner of the garage with junk stacked on it. Now with the new shop, it will sit out there, so I can use the garage again.

To tell the truth, I doubt I will ever use it much. I need to rip some plywood into shelves to fit the pallet racking I have. Other than that, I don't do wood.

I know someone mentioned their preferances for brands of various power tools a page or two back, but I forget who it was. I was killing a few minutes in HD the other night, thinking I should get a jigsaw. When did the prices of these things skyrocket? Seems last I recall 70 or 80 bucks would buy you a good one, now a lot of em were 120-150 or more. For occasional use, would one of the 50-60 dollar ones work, or do I need to step up to the plate? I do want scrolling, but like I said, just occasional use.

I would answer that with, what are you going to be using it for? Also, i would direct your attention to Woodnet Forums Me hangs out there a lot, just look for my purple Chode avitar. They have a good off topic area. Little more relaxed than here, but then they are not trying sell a product either. Just a grouping of folk.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Mainly light stuff, doing circles or irregular shapes inside of a piece, but nothing intricate like you'd need a scroll saw for. I really have no current plans for it, but there have been a few times in the last month or so when I knew it was the right tool for the job, but not having one, made do with something else.

I'll check out the link too, thanks.

Moon,

Checkout this link:http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/

If I remember correctly the Jan/Feb edition has a dust collection system that a user submitted under shop tips. Readers submit ideas they have used in the shop and the best tip wins a prize.

Any way the reader used a garbage can, shop vac,PVC fittings and hose that attaches to his table saw to collect the dust.

I agree with your table saw comment. They are nice for percise cuts.

Every thing I have made in the last 2 years has been with a miter saw, router,circular saw and a piece of angle iron for a straight edge.

The best tool I have bought in the last year is a brad gun.

Someday when I get the room I will get a table saw.

Danny