m00n gots a new toy! Oh yeah, hand me them speaker plans!

m00n

m00n,

Thanks! I used a jig saw, and came up with the pattern using a quart size paint can and a garbage can lid! Finished off with a belt sander, random orbit sander, and hand sanding. Yes, solid cherry. About $60 worth! Oh, I used a chamfer bit for the corners.

I'd show you the bed it's supposed to match, but Ethan Allen's website shows it in black. Here's a dresser from the same "collection," to give you an idea of my inspiration:

eadresser.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fini... I miss you more than you know. I am having a special "wedding bed" constructed after a single bed that I had commissioned years ago out of solid oak. That one was a Twin XL "Captain's Bed" with a 72" bottom drawer that had casters and rolled on the carpeted floor... rather than slides. It also has three dove-tailed drawers. It was built to match the custom oak furniture for my personal computer room. The bed matches the computer furniture so I could take cat naps while working very long hours.

The new bed is an Eastern King using two interlocking Captain's Beds on which a custom mattress rests. The exterior wood is all maple harvested on my resort property and properly dried and run through my neighbors saw mill. I've got to a point where the craftsmen who work for me just can't seem to finish the drawers and corners to my satisfaction.

Are you up for a little email consulting on the side? -HornEd

PS: I could mount a Klipsch loudspeaker system in the bed if you could clue me in on the timber-timbre matching.2.gif

Go mOOn Go!!! It's an addiction isn't it?

As for blades, I agree with Fini but I'd also suggest a good combo blade. I've got the Freud LU85 80T for cross-cutting and the LU84 50T for general work. Both are fantastic. Currently I'm using the stock rip blade that came with the Jet but soon I'll pick up the Freud 24T.

Do you have a dado set, yet? I've got the Freud SD506. Nice, but pricey.

Nope, no dado blades yet. They are very pricy. Think I'm gonna tackle them via router. I built a cheezy but decent router table. Tried to make a fence for it out of oak and poplar. I think I jointed it down to far cause now I have a slight bow in it. Going to try making another fence. If I can't get it perfect this time, I'll go buy a fence. Plus I still have to get my new porter cable table mounted. I have the accrylic for the base plate, just have not had a chance to do it yet. SO, that's really my first line of biz, get my router table situated, and get my dust collector hooked up.

Actually, I want to build a router table insert for my table saw. My shop is small enough as is, so I need all the space I can get. I've just yet seen something that I like. I've seen a few premade ones you can purchase but I don't like the fact that there is no support under them. I don't want to bend my rails on my fence. Guess if I had gone ahead and gotten the GI with the beizmire (sp?) fence I would'nt have that issue. Nice and sturdy rails on that bad boy.

.4.gif

>>Nope, no dado blades yet. They are very pricy. Think I'm gonna tackle them via router. I built a cheezy but decent router table. Tried to make a fence for it out of oak and poplar. I think I jointed it down to far cause now I have a slight bow in it. Going to try making another fence. If I can't get it perfect this time, I'll go buy a fence. Plus I still have to get my new porter cable table mounted. I have the accrylic for the base plate, just have not had a chance to do it yet. SO, that's really my first line of biz, get my router table situated, and get my dust collector hooked up.<<

Agreed, I had a hard time passing the credit card over for the dado set. I use it but I still use the router as well. I've picked up a set of the undersized plywood straight bits and they work great. BTW, I don't know if you have a preference for bits but I tend to get either Freud or Katana. The Katana is the high-end line for MLCS and it's pretty good. The regular MLCS is garbage and you should stay away from it.

As for the router table, I wussed out and bought one. I picked up the Bench Dog complete table. I wanted to make sure I had a dead accurate table top and fence. http://www.benchdog.com/Products/Protop/CB400.htm The latest American Woodworker has plans for a shop-built router lift that looks interesting. I might give it a shot.

>>Actually, I want to build a router table insert for my table saw. My shop is small enough as is, so I need all the space I can get. I've just yet seen something that I like. I've seen a few premade ones you can purchase but I don't like the fact that there is no support under them. I don't want to bend my rails on my fence. Guess if I had gone ahead and gotten the GI with the beizmire (sp?) fence I would'nt have that issue. Nice and sturdy rails on that bad boy.<<

I'm lucky that I have enough space for a dedicated router table. You do want to make sure that you don't have deflection, especially if that PC router is heavy. BTW, since you (sp?), it's Biesemeyer. 1.gif

Here's another tip. I was in Home Depot yesterday. They had marked-down Bessey (a brand) clamps 25-33%. These are GREAT woodworking clamps. I don't know if your local HD will have the same deal, but I'd be interested to find out...

>>Here's another tip. I was in Home Depot yesterday. They had marked-down Bessey (a brand) clamps 25-33%. These are GREAT woodworking clamps. I don't know if your local HD will have the same deal, but I'd be interested to find out...<<

Word on Woodnet is that HD is clearing out the Bessey brand to make room for an all Jorgie line. Apparently there's a bigger profit margin with Orange. I managed to get 5 of the 24" Tradesman clamps at one of the local HD's. Everything else was cleared out. What I'm drooling over is the potential for 25-33% off the K-Body clamps.

>>Eric,

Yeah, the local HD hasn't dropped the price of the K-bodies. Have you tried the smaller, gray ones that look like K-bodies?<<

No, I haven't. I looked at them when Woodworkers Warehouse was running their going out of business sale. They seemed like they were only meant for light duty but I could be wrong. I do have some of the Kliklamps. I'm using them for setting up jigs, attaching stop blocks to the TS fence, etc. They're pretty good for that type of thing, IMO.

Heaven forbid M00n ever lopping off a piece of himself. I mean what would we call him on the forums then?

We would have to cut off part of his name in keeping with the situation. Would you like to be called M00 or ICK ? I dont think so. How in bareass sing is dat? 2.gif9.gif

it's a good thing I've never told you all about my run in with my skill saw. You guys give me enough greif over my ladder incident as it is. 9.gif.

Now that I think about it, it's been over a year now. I think I can go in and have my pins and plates removed. But I won't go under the sleepy time tase this time. Waking up from that stuff was... Well, no thank you.

I'd keep the plates in M00n.They keep the blade from going completely through the bone. Take my word for it. I know. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz CRUNCH!!!!

That's why I have a patent on the Bzzzzzzzzz Crunch Fried Chicken I inventend. How do you like my motto: "A plate in every leg and a leg on every plate" Pretty catchy , hugh? What is the secret behind that spicy crunch? We use welding rods instead of pop-up-thermometers. 9.gif