m00n gots a new toy! Oh yeah, hand me them speaker plans!

m00n

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me want 4.gif

I really need a table saw to build the DIY sub I have bene thinking of. I also need a router for cutting the hole, port, etc. Also, it is a powerful 15" sub, and I want to use a 1" particle board front baffle (like the REALLY hi densidy particle board, not the Wal Mart furniture kind), and it will need some serious power to cut well.

----------------

On 1/24/2004 9:46:11 AM bkrop wrote:

Watch your fingers!

Good thing you don't have to climb a ladder to use it!

6.gif

----------------

Oh sure, just had to bring that up didn't ya?2.gif You realize that was a year ago this month, wow time flies. I need to get to the dr and ask about having the hardware removed from my wrist.

What am I gonna make? Probably lots of things over time. If I can find an accurate La Scala plan, I will be making a set of those. I want to make some nice things for the house, some Christmas gifts for peeps.

Kenratboy, I got a router and router table for Christmas (Thanks Pop) and they're not as easy to use as I thought. I keep getting wavy cuts. Yeah I think the first thing that popped in my head when I seen my router appearing from behind the Christmas paper was "driver slot" 2.gif

Congrats Moon. You've just wandered into my other hobby, power tools, umm, I mean, woodworking. I've been putting together a shop for the last 7 months. It's great buying tools!

Now you just need a jointer, planer, compound miter saw, router, router table, drill press, disk/belt sander, biscuit joiner, random orbit sander, circular saw, dado set, dial indicator, dust collection system, radial arm saw, lathe, a good work bench with front and tail vise...oh yeah, maybe some wood. 2.gif

Congrats again! Now start making sawdust!

Wow I'm jealous. I want a new table saw so bad, just can't bring myself to part with audio money to buy it. Anyway, so do you have a good shop vac you can hook up to that puppy? Oh yea, and the first thing you should build is a slider table for it. Comes in real handy when making speaker boxes, audio cabinets and other things not audio related. Enjoy

----------------

On 1/24/2004 11:44:07 AM erdric wrote:

Now you just need a jointer, planer, compound miter saw, router, router table, drill press, disk/belt sander, biscuit joiner, random orbit sander, circular saw, dado set, dial indicator, dust collection system, radial arm saw, lathe, a good work bench with front and tail vise...oh yeah, maybe some wood.
2.gif

Congrats again! Now start making sawdust!

----------------

Tell me about it... I almost bought at jointer/plainer combo last night when I bought my saw.

I have router and router table, orbital sander, radial arm saw, compound miter saw, long work bench I created before I evern took wood working into consideration.

As far as the biskets, it seems as though I seen a router bit for that BUT, not sure how it could make an oblong shape to match the bisket.

As far as air purification, well... I quit smoking about 4 months ago so I am able to breath better... I will just breath real hard and use my lugs as a filter. 2.gif

Actually I will most likey sell my Radial arm saw now... $100.00?

Oh and Keith, it's 110 but if I remember off the top of my head it can be wired for 220.

>> I want a new table saw so bad, just can't bring myself to part with audio money to buy it.<<

Do it Wardsweb, you won't regret it. Last May I was about to pull the trigger on a new Rotel setup but decided to put it on hold to get the new tools. I now have a beautiful Jet contractor saw. It's all cast iron, has the Xacta II fence, and it cuts like you wouldn't believe. As I'm sure you know, the TS is the heart of the shop and man, what a heart that Jet TS is. As much as I wanted that Rotel gear I have to say I'm glad I put off that purchase until after I upgraded the shop.

More tool gloat, I just picked up the 2 speed Delta planer. Wow, is that a sweet tool.

----------------

On 1/24/2004 5:22:12 AM fini wrote:

That's almost as nice as a Ryobi!

----------------

It's funny you should say that... There is one particular Ryobi that people REALLY seem to love. I was looking at it last night at home depot. Does look like a damn nice benchtop saw. Had a sliding table and router table. If I didn't have enough money to buy the saw I did I am sure I would have got that ryobi. It's like the BT3100 or something like that.

>>As far as the biskets, it seems as though I seen a router bit for that BUT, not sure how it could make an oblong shape to match the bisket.<<

I have one of those router bit sets for biscuits. It works alright but once I picked up the DeWalt biscuit joiner I smacked myself for waiting so long to do so.

>>As far as air purification, well... I quit smoking about 4 months ago so I am able to breath better... I will just breath real hard and use my lugs as a filter.<<

I have asthema so I have to deal with the dust. I have a small dust collector that I roll from machine to machine to go along with the Jet air filtration unit for ambient air cleaning. Works really well but sometimes I still need to wear a respirator.

Ed... Yeah I was looking at the Jet Contractor. Unless I got the Exacta fence there is no way I would have settled for the stock fence that was on it cuase the backend on that stock fence moved a good 1/4"

You got a planar? Dog! I still have bonus money to play with... I was looking hard at that planar/joiner combo last night. I think the reason I held off was because I don't know how much stuff I will be building... Meaning, I am not sure how long it would take me to get my money back out of it by buying rough cut woods. Know what I'm saying?

Oh... yeah I do have a small 2hp shop vac to plug into the back of tools, but nothign for ambiant air.

----------------

On 1/24/2004 12:55:35 PM erdric wrote:

I have one of those router bit sets for biscuits. It works alright but once I picked up the DeWalt biscuit joiner I smacked myself for waiting so long to do so.

----------------

Hmmmmm... I have a $100.00 gift certificate to the local mall. Mall has a sears and you guess it, sears carries dewalt. 10.gif

>>It's funny you should say that... There is one particular Ryobi that people REALLY seem to love. I was looking at it last night at home depot. Does look like a damn nice benchtop saw. Had a sliding table and router table. If I didn't have enough money to buy the saw I did I am sure I would have got that ryobi. It's like the BT3100 or something like that.<<

FYI, Ridgid's parent company sold their at least part of their power tools division this past year. Guess who picked up the Ridgid power tools line, remade it with new cosmetics, improvements, and now sells it exclusively at Home Depot? Yup, Ryobi. I kid you not.

Other jointly owned product lines:

Delta and Porter Cable

Black + Decker and DeWALT

Jet and Powermatic

EDIT: Had to edit the above comment about the selling of the power tool division. I know it happened but I guess it wasn't their whole line. I just came back from the Depot where I saw a Ridgid jointer and drill press in the old design. Don't exactly know what's going on with all of their stuff, I guess.

>>Ed... Yeah I was looking at the Jet Contractor. Unless I got the Exacta fence there is no way I would have settled for the stock fence that was on it cuase the backend on that stock fence moved a good 1/4"<<

Agree with you completely. The stock fence on the Jet CS is junk. I didn't really want to go up to the price of the Jet with the Xacta but a solid fence is the key to the TS so....

>>You got a planar? Dog! I still have bonus money to play with... I was looking hard at that planar/joiner combo last night. I think the reason I held off was because I don't know how much stuff I will be building... Meaning, I am not sure how long it would take me to get my money back out of it by buying rough cut woods. Know what I'm saying?<<

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the planer. I got it during the Woodworkers Warehouse 'going out of business' sale. Grand total= $350. What planer/jointer combo are you talking about?

When I started to put together the shop it was after a 15 year hiatus from doing any serious woodworking. I didn't have the space nor the funding to take up the hobby during that time. Now that I have a house and a good sized basement I decided to get back into the hobby. I was concerned about spending the money because I didn't know how much I'd really use it and when I'd start to see some payback on my investment. Lets face it, it's an expensive hobby, not as bad as A/V can be but it's up there. In the end I decided that the amount of fun I'd have turning out projects for friends and family would be worth the money for all the tools. Now if could only get some of those projects finished...