My Hereseys

TBrennan

Here's the Hereseys I bought the other day from Smilin. At first I wasn't sure I liked them but they're growing on me. They don't have as nice a tonal balance as my KRKs but on the other hand they sound more "lively", well you guys know that kind of thing. These have the EV mid so I reckon I won't need a P trap, my buddy "P" who developed the trap was all set to send me a pair.

post-6913-13819251789986_thumb.jpg

The perfect setup for two channel HT. I thought mine were great for that when I had them, and actually preferred them over the Cornwalls. The sound was definitely more open. Must be that little speaker thing.

Man, you got me itching to hear those KRKs.

Guitar Center sells KRK Systems near-field monitors; they are very popular with their acurate presentation in the studio, and many of our customers at our store swear by them! I've never had the opportunity yet to audition any of them at great lengths, but from what little exposure I've had with them they are great sounding monitors. I would assume they sound totally different from the horn-loaded Heresys...a little more listening time spent with the Heresys will hopefully get only better for you, but I doubt whether they'll ever sound like your KRKs IMO.

jazman---I have KRK ST-6s, a picture is attached. They are $200 a pair at Guitar Center. These are excellent speakers of their type; small direct-radiating 2-ways. They have a natural tonal balance and are not bright like many small speakers. Clarity is good and dynamics are as good as any speakers of the type. They are very well built (7/8" thick MDF) and use an aluminum woof and a silk dome.

These sound better than so called "audiophile" small speakers I auditioned that cost $1000 a pair. Frankly speaker-building is a mature technology and this stuff can be done very well very cheaply in China, which is where the KRKs are made.

The Hereseys are growing on me, reminding me why it was I grew fond of Klipsch so many years ago. They are certainly more effortless than the little KRKs and are imaging at least as well. I think I'll keep them.

post-6913-13819251792136_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 1/27/2004 12:39:14 AM TBrennan wrote:

Here's the Hereseys I bought the other day from Smilin. At first I wasn't sure I liked them but they're growing on me. They don't have as nice a tonal balance as my KRKs but on the other hand they sound more "lively", well you guys know that kind of thing. These have the EV mid so I reckon I won't need a P trap, my buddy "P" who developed the trap was all set to send me a pair.
----------------

For the price and the size,I don't think you can beat the Heresy's. Glad you like them Tom and it was a pleasure meeting you in Chicago.

Hi,

I have a pair of Walnut finished Heresy I's from 1980. They have consecutive serial numbers and are in excellent condition. I just bought the RF7 surround setup and I am looking to sell my Heresys. The only thing that I am worried about is shipping them and preventing any damage to them, as they are in near-perfect condition. If you have some suggestions, please let me know.

Pick-up in New Orleans would be fantastic. These have the "straight" risers and are in much better shape then anything I've seen on Ebay in the last 6 months. I can send you some pictures tomorrow, if you're interested.

jkman1,

Pickup is always best. Otherwise, a wooden crate with good padding inside would be good. Trouble is, the crate is going to make the total weight go way up, maybe double, and it would have to be sent as oversize, overweight.

There are standard-sized moving boxes available that will hold one Heresy with some room for padding on every side. The only bad thing is there isn't a lot of room for padding, so you're still taking a chance. I received a single Heresy that way safely. And it'll just fit under UPS/USPS size restrictions. But make sure you buy a brand new box from a moving company so it has some structural integrity. A used box will not have anywhere near the same strength.

I'd really try local pickup for a while first. It is way easier and safer.

----------------

On 1/27/2004 12:49:57 AM DeanG wrote:

The perfect setup for two channel HT. I thought mine were great for that when I had them, and actually preferred them over the Cornwalls. The sound was definitely more open. Must be that little speaker thing.

----------------

Dean,

You've GOT to be joking! Heresys over cornwalls? Paaleeese!9.gif

Greg shipped my heresys back to me in one big box with each speaker wrapped in plastic and approx. 2" of styrofoam all around and between each speaker and lots of peanuts. They arrived unharmed.

Yeah, Tom Brennan is back to Klipsch! Watch this space for his modifications and tweaks first, he will start small (I noticed some sibilance off the tweeter horn that diminished with felt surrounds on the front baffle panel). Then he will get ambitious: dissembling the Heresy cabinet and rebuilding it with cross bracing and dampening material does indeed tighter up the upper bass and resolve cabinet resonances affecting the mid-range. Finally, I predict old Tom will get radical with his big ole horns: tri-amping with a custom crossover network increases amplifier energy ten-fold and allows use of inexpensive and delicate tube amplifiers.

Tom how could you ever sell off your big ole horns? The cone sound is just not like the horn sound at all.

just kidding3.gif

----------------

On 1/27/2004 10:45:27 AM Colin wrote:

Yeah, Tom Brennan is back to Klipsch! Watch this space for his modifications and tweaks – first, he will start small (“I noticed some sibilance off the tweeter horn that diminished with felt surrounds on the front baffle panel…). Then he will get ambitious: “dissembling the Heresy cabinet and rebuilding it with cross bracing and dampening material does indeed tighter up the upper bass and resolve cabinet resonances affecting the mid-range.” Finally, I predict old Tom will get radical with his big ole horns: “tri-amping with a custom crossover network increases amplifier energy ten-fold and allows use of inexpensive and delicate tube amplifiers.”

Tom – how could you ever sell off your big ole horns? The cone sound is just not like the horn sound at all.

just kidding
3.gif

----------------

I imagine Tom won't stop until he transforms the Klipsch to Altec

2.gif

BTW Tom - I fiddled quite a bit with the Heresy on their side as you have them and found that they really do sound best with the horns to the center. And after a couple of years comparing the HIs and HIIs, I have come around to appreciate the HIIs HF over the HI - so some piddling may help there (The HII is just a bit more tolerant of different amplification with that 'softer' HF).

Welcomr back - although I expect it is a short stay....

Henry----Yeah, a pal of mine just found a pair of those 90 degree bent horns with 802G drivers from a small Altec monitor, Model 15 I think. But they're too wide for the Heresey box. :-) Or I could replace the mid drivers with JBL 2426s or Altec 902s and then maybe cut-out the tweeter. :-)

But I'm an apartment guy now anyhow, I think I'll leave well enough alone and just use the things.