Two Subs

RIGGED25

Two subs can be used to increase output, or produce a flatter response...

In theory, two identical subs can give you up to 6db of more out put if placed one right next to the other or will give you 3db of more out put if placed apart. The measured output increase should be somewhere in between.

Corners will give you the greatest output but the frequency response will be more variable according to your position in the room.

hope it helps, later...

Rob

I have 2 RSW-15's presently. As formica has already advised, you gain 3-6db of output over a single setup. I love the RSW's for music and when I was offered a great deal on the 2nd 15, I couldn't say no. For music the RSW's add such a great, solid bass line. It's punchy and very responsive. I've toyed with the idea of selling one off thinking it was overkill, but I just can't bring myself to do it. They just provide such a solid low octave foundation for music. As for placement, I used to have one in each front corner on the outside of my RF-7's. Now I know that scientifically, I'm not supposed to be able to localize low frequencies, but after listening and experimenting with placements, I found that I preferred to have one between the 7's and the other set over in what I would say is my more open front corner. Each person has their own personal preference on what sounds best to them, so if you get a 2nd one move them around a bit until you find what best works for you. Of course if your lugging RSW-15's around at 85lbs a piece, you might get tired of this in a hurry. 9.gif

~shoe

i think i read once somewhere that a sub placed in the front middle and rear middle performed better than an entire front wall bass array system...I'll see if i can't find the website again. Now that I think about it, the article might have been talking about using 3 subs though, not sure.

the best bet is to move stuff around until it sounds best. i personally would use no sub instead of one, but would however use two subs instead of none.

DrWho, you may be thinking about the Harmon White Paper at Subwoofers: Optimum Number and Locations where they tested 1 to 50 subwoofers in a single room to see what produced the flattest response over the largest area (I think they used theEAR's place for the latter 2.gif ). They concluded:

----------------

One subwoofer at each wall midpoint is the best in terms of Std, Max-ave and Max-min but does not support low frequencies particularly well. Two subwoofers, at opposing wall midpoints, performs very nearly as well as four at the midpoints and gives a much better LF factor. One subwoofer in each corner also has good low frequency support, but does not perform quite as well as one subwoofer at each wall midpoint, in terms of Std, Max-ave and Max-min. If cost and aesthetics are considered, subwoofers at 2 wall midpoints is preferred.

----------------

One must remember that acoustics are very room dependant, so these results will only be valid in a rectangular similar to theirs. In any case, its an interesting read...

Later...

Rob

well that wasn't the article i was referring to, but it covered everything in the other article which i still haven't been able to find.

if you scroll down to the very bottom of the pdf, it shows "the best" layouts they found as far as even freq. response goes.

most do put their sub(s) in the corner.

maybe its my M&K but I never liked the way it sounded when placed in a corner.

mine is placed on a side wall about in the middle.

not boomy at all there.

as said before, it all depends on the room.

like the above article and others (from Sterophile mag), corner placement is not recommended, but corners as usually the only place that most setups can handle a sub.

its all a balance, looks vs sound.

• 4 years later...

let me ask this. I have the RF62s,RC62, and 1 RW10d. I have the onkyo 605 which has one sub output. Would I need a splitter or RCA Y to hook another sub up, also would it matter if I got a RPW10 for the second. Or maybe just get a RW12d instead of two subs. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

on a 17' wall

La Scala and Sub......... La Scala............. Sub and La Scala

I toyed around placement wise... on the outside... on the inside... in the middle.....

I used this because I wanted the la scala's to be separated the farthest I could in the room (orginally for HT 106" Screen 17 foot wide room etc.)

So it was either next to the La Scala's or the subs in the middle more... For HT, it was fantastic either way up front!

Now for 2 channel I found them spread apart MUCH better, almost like they were part of the left and right La Scala's. So that is where they will stay! I listen to 2 Channel music in the HT it is just awesome!

People will say all day long you can't locate them, but in very very few situations (like Pickey's HT) I always know where they are... And a sub beside you or over only to the right.... or behind you when something is exploding in front oif you is just not right???? LOL

Good Luck!

Yes I have two subs,and four,and a dozen and so on. Lets say I have a wall of subs and another wall of subs. [:$] Never use more than four matched subs during music listening. [:P] For HT (where FAKE overblown effects fill the DVD's or BR discs...)I once ran 17 subs working as one. It is what you call a Beavis and Butthead experiment....[:D]

Two subs will do a great job,and yes I experimented with one front,dead center and one behind listening position. It works quite well. Those with two identical subs,a little experiment to try.