In Shock over comparing ChorusIIs with RF-7s

norcuron

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/1/2004 5:01:05 PM TBrennan wrote:

Fish---You likey the fishing lure woofers? You likey bright, pretty things? Captain Cook will bring you mirrors and beads, and shiny hatchets too. All he wants is some breadfruit and the liberal sexual use of your womanfolk. All pretty thing come by and by.

Just for that the next time I see you at the red light selling your flowers,I aint gonna buy any.

2.gif

Dean,

Your Klipschorns don't suck!

I've been fooled into thinking that many a speakers sound good untill I A/B them with one or two that I use as a reference.

Maybe someday you will have the opportunity to put a RF7 in your room with the Klipschorns. Then you will see how bad your memory is1.gif .

----------------

On 2/1/2004 10:25:10 PM DeanG wrote:

I would imagine it's well on its way by now. Amps are different than crossovers since there is significantly more voltage running through the caps.

So what do you think about sound? Different huh?

----------------

Oh yes, the sound is very warm and rich. Lots of bass and it has that spatial feeling, instruments sound natural and full of body. Even standar CD's sound good through my cheap Sony 300 disc changer that is used for standard CD's and SACD's just take on a life of thier own, its amazing!1.gif I cant wait to have you do my crossovers though, the money order should arrive to you Tuesday. Also, can you do the crossovers in KG 5.5's??

Thanks!

Beautiful khorns Dean. They look like Tom Longos with a shine!

BTW Dean - Just finished Dark Tower 5. Have you started it yet? It was OK. I would rate it lower than the others. It's sort of an adventure within the story. He does begin to incorporate some of the folks from his other books that are related. You find out a little more about the "breakers." Did you read "Hearts in Atlantis" or "Insomnia?" I heard he re-wrote "The Gunslingler" to bring in some of the other characters also.

• 4 weeks later...

Gents,

I know this thread has moved on, but since I read this thread on the RF-7's in detail before I ran down to the audio store, I feel like I've got to toss in my comments.

I had upgrade fever. A week ago, I stopped in a shop & listened to the RF-7's. They sounded great, so this week I took back some music I'm used to listening too. We listen to a mix. Had Peter Paul & Mary, Lyle Lovett's Pontiac, Dire Straits, Appalachian classical (lots of Cello/fiddle/violin). The RF-7 sounded great on the higher end stuff + I heard detail in the PPM cd that we'd never heard. But the Lyle Lovett Pontiac cd & the Dire Straits simply sounded flat. I'm not very good with the musical adjectives, but on Lyle's "Simple Song" played on my home system, I can close my eyes & hear the sound room he's singing in. All of that detail was missing. At the time, I thought it was because the Chorus II has a better bottom end & simply did a better job with male voices. Now I'm wondering whether it was mostly component problems. The store had them hooked up to higher end Sony preamps & Amps and I'm just not a fan of Sony (sorry). But my best guess is they need a subwoofer to round out the "presence" for rock and male voices.

Keeping my Chorus II's for now. BTW ... also listened to Martin Logan's, B&W, Wharfdale - but after 10 yrs on the horns, nothing else really does it for me. Kind of sucks when you get upgrade fever...

Dave

Hi David,

I would not judge the RF-7's by the junk recievers they use at the audio stores, They use nice cd players and decent cables but unfortunatley they use home theater recievers which are not at all good for music14.gif You need to audition a pair and bring them home and break them if for a good 3 weeks, you have a month to return them and hook them up to your nice tube amp and then get a gauge on them.

David----You did the right thing. The Chorii are "Real" Klipsches designed when ole PWK ran the company, you can't beat that, Klipschwise. The RFs are psuedohorns and a deviation from the loudspeaker philosophy the company had under PWK.

I think the RFs were designed as a cost cutting measure to replace the 3-way KLF series which had a dedicated midrange horn and driver. There's no way a serious designer of horn speakers thinks it's better sound quality to run a woofer to 2.2khz than to run it to 700hz.

----------------

On 2/28/2004 12:44:32 PM TBrennan wrote:

There's no way a serious designer of horn speakers thinks it's better sound quality to run a woofer to 2.2khz than to run it to 700hz.

----------------

Check out the crossover setting on the Dynaudio 3.4's or the Silverline ($6k) Sonata's or even the cheaper Sonatina's. They are all using a Dynaudio woofer crossed over at 2khz.