In Shock over comparing ChorusIIs with RF-7s

norcuron

I posted this on the Home Theater Forum but it was sugested I post it here:

I have owned a set of Chorus IIs for 13 years. It was a great when I put down 15 $100 dollar bills on the counter and took them home. I have loved those speakers since day 1.

I went out today looking at upgrading my Marantz Receiver and wound up at Good Guys. I noticed they had a pair of RF-7s and decided to demo them...Loud.... ;)The sales guy had to finish up another sale so his exact words were "Do whatever ya like, and see if you can Blow them up" I laughed and decided to put some serious Rock and Roll through them. My one concern was that the room that they had them in had two large door openings that led out to the rest of the store (without Doors attached, so it opened right into everything). I put in an old Winger CD, that has a great intro and some serious bass. I had 4 different sales guys from different parts of the store run into the room freaking out about how loud I had them. My sales guy just laughed and said don't worry about them, if you are going to spend $2200 ya have to know what they will do. He said that they had never had anyone demo the speakers like I did. My goal was to test them to their limits, but never have them distort or start to "bap" the woofers.

I can honestly say I felt they were cleaner and louder than my Chrous IIs. My Wife agreed and both of us are a little shell shocked.

Has anyone else here done any serious comparing? The Mgr offered to sell me the pair on the spot for $2k even, but I told him I wanted to wait until my SVS PB2+ arrives. What do you guys think? What advantages do you think the Chorus IIs have over the RF-7?

Thanks for info and input.

p.s. I am going to go grab a pair and compre them in my home now.

Mark

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What size room were they in? That could have a lot to do with the quality of sound compared to your home listening environment. A side by side comparison with same source material is the only way to really compare. Take your C IIs to the store for a closed listening test. I am interested in hearing the results.

Oh yeah, the RF-7's are an awesome speaker for sure. You think it sounds good on those new recievers, Wait till you run it with a rebuilt Scott 299-C from NOSvalves!! Damn it sounds good and the bass and the treble is so rich and lively, they will rock out hardcore. Jazz, classical, movies they rock!

Oh BTW, tell them you found them online for $700 shipped. I did that with Ultimate Electronics and they said ok and matched the price and sold them to me for $1484 out the door for a brand new pair of RF-7's. Their cost is $516 on those RF-7's each.

I am picking up a pair tomorrow from Good Guys to demo side by side in my room. i will then be taking them back, mainly due to Good Guys not wanting to come down from 2 grand a pair. It will give me a good story for other local dealers though: 1 pair needed, no demo....just sell them to me for 1500 and let me walk away. I will post what I think. I am also so stoked my SVS PB2+ shipped today.

Mark

If you never listened to your Chorus IIs with a tube amp, you are missing the fullpotential of the speaker.

Before I plunked down $ 2000 for RF-7; I would buy a $ 400-700 fully refurbed vintage tube integrated.

I have listen to the RF-7 for years in auditions with Aragon, Rotel, and 300B SET.

They sounded best with the 300B SET; but I could still hear the crossover easier in the 2 way than a 3 way.

My recomendation is to cautious rather than impulsive.

I've put the 7's up against speakers that cost a lot more,right in my own home and I still have the 7's.I bought my 7's with the chance to upgrade to anything within a year and I tried plenty.Def Tech,Paradigm,Thiel were a few.I loaded up the floor models(my store has a great trial policy) and tried em'for about a week each.I was really in an upgrade mood because my full trade in allowance time was about up.I didn't know for sure at the time I already had the best speakers they sell within $1k of my price range.The 7's are even better today than when I got em'a few yrs back.All the others I tried were good in different ways but the 7's edged each one out in overall sound.The 7's can do a killer Les Paul or an equaly good acoustic,and a snare or ride,piano,yep I also was a little shocked.I was all ready to move on up till I realized just what a fine sound the 7's have.Whether its late and you just want to mellow out or you want to raise the roof the 7's will do it.

it sounds more like a decbiel contest than a comparo...loudness is not my number one reason for choosing speakers...I have heard the RF-7s, they are nice speakers. I prefer the sound of my k-horns, though perhaps the RF-7s could play louder without blapping the woofers or blowing the tweeters, the k-horns to me play with more delicacy of detail and a more coehsive overall presentation of the sound. If you want to play rock as loud as you can than the chorus will lose to the RF-7s on other counts I cannot say...

----------------

On 1/31/2004 11:11:50 AM TBrennan wrote:

Handel----The RF-7 is "unmatched" in dynamics??!!? Are you serious? If so such a ridiculously ignorant statement destroys any credibility you might have.

----------------

Ive heard many many speakers, B&W nautilus 810 and multiple 12k speakers and up. The RF-7 kept bringing me back, and instead of posting remarks like that how bout you post something relevant to this thread and state what you like instead of attacking what i say??

Handel---You made the statement the RF-7s are unmatched in dynamics, the statement is in error, grossly in error, and fair game for attack.

There are quite a number of speaker systems with better dynamics than the 7s; the Altec A5s I used to use for instance which would make your RFs sound like TV speakers. And more relevent to this board the KHorn, Belle and LaScala have better dynamics.

It's important to understand whether or not people know what they're talking about; when it comes to speakers, especially horn type speakers, it seems you don't.

the real handel is turning over in his grave...dynamics? for dynamics just about any horn speaker, any electrostatic or, in fact, any panel speaker burns what I heard from the RF-7 in dynamics.

bass, the RF-7s go deep and powerfull, they are nice, but a little boomy for me, a little overly dramatic if you ask me, good for rock but I feel less than "accurate".

as for treble, do sound very nice but there are better speakers out there for treble IMO.

RF-7s are very good speakers but put them up there as world class in dynamics and treble I think is overeaching. they sounded to me a little more like "wowee" speakers, for rock and pop, techno etc. extended and powerful but somewhat less than balanced, detailed and accurate.

I am sure you will very happy with the purchase of the RF-7s but keep the chorus IIs perhaps for a second system for chamber music or jazz listening. at lower volumes and with that music I feel the chorus shine (over the RF-7? I suspect so).

regards, tony

For his room and what he is comparing to , the RF-7's are the best choice for his price point unless he wants to spend 5k oh Khorns or Electrostatic speakers and even then he might not notice a diffrence in his current setup and situation, its all relative. You can sit there and spit "My speaker can beat your speaker up" all day, but judging by what he is wanting and what he has already demo'ed, he has found the right speakers.

----------------

On 1/31/2004 11:51:42 AM sunnysal wrote:

I am sure you will very happy with the purchase of the RF-7s but keep the chorus IIs perhaps for a second system for chamber music or jazz listening. at lower volumes and with that music I feel the chorus shine (over the RF-7? I suspect so).

regards, tony

----------------

Tony,

You might want to speak to LeoK what he thinks about the RF-7's after they have been conditioned and how they sound with Classical chamber pieces and Jazz, you would be surprised. He said that it is very detailed and nice.

Read these threads by LeoK.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=43297&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={4887E329-D1C3-4B92-95E5-A3794521E8EB}

Tony,

Have not heard from you in a while.

RF series does a compromise of price point, HT and 2 channel. Althought is does it well.

Heritage with the expensive 3 way crossover and mid squacker is PWK's dynamic music speaker line.

As some know he had a Bosendorfer and Stienway in his listening room.

Prety good reference pianos!

boy, as a music lover (all kinds) and professional musician, i almost have to wince at the thought of someone auditioning speakers based primarily on volume level, and laughing at the notion of seeing whether one can "blow them up". it seems almost juvenile, and at the risk of offending someone with my remarks, may i suggest that music should be about more than seeing if we can blow up our toys in the sandbox.

it reminds me of a concert i did recently with a rather well-known jazz drummer. during the sound check, he hit his bass drum,this was in a university concert hall, and it sounded HUGE!! this drummer argued a bit with the young sound engineer, who was only accustomed to loud thumping kick-drums, until he got fed up and told the kid to turn off all the mikes on the drums. he then played a little around his kit, smiled, and said, "that's the way it's supposed to sound". there is a great deal to be said for subtlety---in ALL music.

to judge a music transducer based solely on whether it can break glass, eardrums, or burn rubber, "cleanly" or uncleanly, is really missing the point of it all. IMHO!

I will respond with the following:

It never even entered my mind to try and damage the speakers at all. I do play music and HT loud some times. I feel it is fair to push the speakers that I have very close to their limits on occasion. I think this is one area where Klipsch shines. I listen to all kinds of music from Rush to Sting to classical. I was impressed with the overall sound last night in the store and am now going to bring them home and demo them for a week or 2 to see what I think. I merely asked for opinions and you obviously gave yours. I appreciate all feedback and will keep all of this in mind.