EBAY: WHAT ARE THESE? KLIPSCH?

Daddy Dee

----------------

On 2/5/2004 12:30:55 PM m00n wrote:

Oh and BTW, if these parts are in good working order, how much would these cost of I had to buy new, and or buy individually off ebay? Got to have some sence of reason to explain this to the wife... I am alredy in the doghouse.
----------------

You are going to love how much money you can save with this purchase.

9.gif

Klipsch parts sells new "upgrade" kits for LaScala and Khorn. Each kit includes the new tweeter, new K55X driver and new crossover. It assumes that the upgrader keeps their woofer and mid-horn. Kit price for a pair is $1800. If you were going to add the cost of new K33 woofer and K401 horn lenses to match, put another $360 on the total.

Yep, $2160 for all new parts! And note, that is a considerable savings over buying them all alacarte.

Even buying used parts, I'd still recommend buying the K401 (lens only) and K33 woofer new directly from Klipsch. the K401 resin horn lens is only $49 (a savings compared to a used K400 metal horn) and the K33 are $129 ea. (I think). IMO, the K33 woofers usually fetch top dollar on Ebay. For my money, it is usually close enough to price for a new one to tip the scales toward new in my considerations. Doing that and that and shopping on Ebay will still cost the better part of $1K to assemble all your parts and get them shipped.

I am not convinced those are K400's or K401's. Before bidding I suggest writing to the person and ask him to verify there is a Klipsch logo on the horn lenses. And what's with the black K55's? Is there a difference between a Klipsch k-55V and the Atlas driver (besides the soldered-terminal K-55 that had a special PWK phase plug)??

The K-77, K-55V, and K-33 are used in the Khorn, La Scala, Belle, and previously the Cornwall. The only thing dedicated to the La Scala is the AL crossover. I am certain that it could easily be modified to become an A, AA, or AK crossover that the Khorn uses rather easily.

----------------

On 2/5/2004 12:30:55 PM m00n wrote:

Oh and BTW, if these parts are in good working order, how much would these cost of I had to buy new, and or buy individually off ebay?

----------------

Do you know how to do a search on eBay? You want me to buy 'em for you, too??

2.gif

----------------

On 2/5/2004 1:04:42 PM johnnyp wrote:

I am not convinced those are K400's or K401's. Before bidding I suggest writing to the person and ask him to verify there is a Klipsch logo on the horn lenses. And what's with the black K55's? Is there a difference between a Klipsch k-55V and the Atlas driver (besides the soldered-terminal K-55 that had a special PWK phase plug)??
----------------

Yep, those are definitely not K401's. The K-401 is a cast resin replacement for the K400. It is currently used in Khorns and LaScalas. Sounds the same. Maybe better, it does not require any damping because the plastic horn doesn't have the ringing resonance of the K400. None of the K400 horns I've seen have that configuration of mounting holes. Of course, I have lived a sheltered life and I haven't seen any of the REALLY old Klipsch gear. With that disclaimer, the mid horn lens may well be Klipsch, and a predecessor to the K400. Your advice to mOOn on asking the seller check the casting is right on the money.

I believe that Atlas was the OEM on the K-55-V for Klipsch.

I was actually advised by someone in the know, that I should pass on this. Can't remember what it was off the top of my head but he said that for sure something was not a Klipsch part.

I will ask the seller if I can come see them. If he allows this, do you guys have a list of questions I should ask other than the one thats already been posted?

Thanks all.

mOOn,

Yep, if it comes to mind what the other guy observed as non Klipsch, hope you will post on that. I can then add the visual image to my host of useless facts that I have filed away.

Once had a teacher who was described as having a mind like a steel trap.

Well, I think my mind is more like a grease trap.6.gif

EEEK... The guy called while we were sitting having dinner and I just let the answering machine pick up the call. He then states who is and that he is the guy with the Klipsch speakers.

Well... I need not tell you my wifes reaction. I'm afraid to even call the guy back4.gif

Ok so I just called him. He is actually not willing to part with them for anything under 500.00. He told me they ARE all authentic klipsch parts, he has upgraded the crossovers to a newer lascala crossover. He said the parts are all out of a KHorn.

I have his number and he just lives a mile or so away. If anyone is interested in them contact me and I will see if he is ok with me giving his out to some of you who may be interested.

Guess he is some big ol audio buff himeself. He just sold a pair of la scalas a month ago. Has some big ol Altec speakers. He invited me over sometime to check out his toys. I will have to do that soon.1.gif

Here's a reasonable gameplan that your wife will hate, mOOn. You pick up these speakers for $400-$500. You call Mike Stehr up, and get hooked up with the commercial La Scala bass bins in Spokane, WA at Dutch's for $300. You build a set of tophats, pull the crossovers, and presto requesto, you have a set of Scalas for $7 to $800, and a set of spare K33s to build your subs at your own leisure. BTW, I have a cousin who can serve as your divorce lawyer if you have any inclination of following my advice2.gif

M00n,

These are most likely Speakerlab units. The mid lens is fiberglass, and the mid-driver is probably an Atlas PD-4. Not what you want for your project, but the rest (woofer/tweeter) might be fine. You need to ask about the Ohm rating for each speaker component first, to ensure it is compatible with the networks and the other components for your project.

Best of luck

----------------

On 2/5/2004 10:56:32 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Here's a reasonable gameplan that your wife will hate, mOOn. You pick up these speakers for $400-$500. You call Mike Stehr up, and get hooked up with the commercial La Scala bass bins in Spokane, WA at Dutch's for $300. You build a set of tophats, pull the crossovers, and presto requesto, you have a set of Scalas for $7 to $800, and a set of spare K33s to build your subs at your own leisure. BTW, I have a cousin who can serve as your divorce lawyer if you have any inclination of following my advice
2.gif

----------------

Well... to be quit honest I don't have the money for them right now. ANy money that I have is going into my shop.. I have to buy a dust collection system now... Have you ever ran a router of MDF? If not, it's quit a treat.

----------------

On 2/4/2004 11:54:01 AM DaddyDee wrote:

These speakers have got to be a DIY project of some kind. After another look at the pics...

The back panel a hole cut for the end of the compression driver to hang out the back!

Kinda cute.

----------------

He said they are klipsch internals in Utah boxes.

Those Utah cabinets aren't too bad.

Too bad they got hacked to install Klipsch parts.

"Guess he is some big ol audio buff himeself. He just sold a pair of la scalas a month ago. Has some big ol Altec speakers. He invited me over sometime to check out his toys. I will have to do that soon."

I would. It's nice to have a local to rap audio with.