How could speakers like these ...

BigBusa

BTW, the TT is a Clearaudio Champion II and the amps look like offerings from Bottlehead or custom jobs. The classical guitars suggest what the fellow has an affinity for so SD speakers are right up his alley and I seriously doubt that anyone would go to the trouble of setting up a SD system and then drop a subwoofer into the mix. It just goes against the whole idea of a SINGLE driver set up.To each his own but I never understood the logic behind trying to match subwoofers with horns except in HT where that kind of effect is desired and is an accepted compromise. JMHO.

Have Fun -Bryan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As an added 2 cents - I am a member of the group that finds FR single speakers lacking, but some of the folks go to great lengths to get the best out of these designs. They have some great skills that are worth tapping for your own projects (the good ones can take many influences into consideration that translate well to other speaker designs).

These same folks, much to their chagrin, convinced me that these good performing FRs (I am a big fan of the Fostex stuff) are excellent mid woofers. They perform admirably in that 70 - 1000hz range and I would recommend many FRs for that frequency range.

Then how come the Old Advent still sounds better to me than most of the 2-ways out there crossing over at 2500Hz and higher? I was surpised I even liked the Reference stuff when I first heard them because or their high crossovers. I just figured the cones were light and rigid enough to handle it, which I think they are.

Keeping the crossover low, lowers IMD in the midrange in most speakers. My Dad's JBL's with the LE8 sound nice. They go up to 5000Hz -- but that is a different "class" of driver compared to woofers used today in most two-ways.

I find there is no one perfect system that does it all well. Given that, you build a system for a specific purpose. Tom has put together a fantatic system for his love of classical music. This system is not for everyone or is it intended to be, but for jass, classical, vocals this system is sweet. The imaging and details are crisp and fast. The bass while not chest shaking is tight and what I equate to the sound of a 300 year old acoustic upright bass in contrast to a new electric bass. The combination of vinyl played through a pair of 2A3 SET amps is magical. I own a pair of these Bottlehead Paramours, along with some custom 2A3's and yes some mega power and current solid state amps too. I like it all from 6 watts (my living room) to 2000 watts (my den). I run everything from Martin Logan electrostats to Altec horns and even some DIY speakers. There are many roads to music bliss, so you don't have to travel someone else's to get to your destination.

----------------

low grades for the interior decorating as well, for the scene is one of cluttered busy-busy, rather than tranquil harmony that is the reflection of good fung-shei.

----------------

Hey that's MY room! Not. Seriously, the guy obviously only has a small space and by keeping the vinyl on the floor, his 10 x ? room is maxxed out for resonance. It looks to me like he could afford better if he could find better as all that gear plus guitars add up to more than most of us spend on our cars. That may well be his vinyl asylum where he gets away from the noise to concentrate on his craft. I have seen much worse posted here and elsewhere with pride. And I doubt he spends much time posting and criticizng other's systems.

My LE8T Plot out to 9k hz & they pi$$ louder than the Abbys in the same type enclouser. But where the both go wrong is the high doppler distortion. Hartly had a FR seven inch That PAUL KLIPSCH tore apart in a article between the two on a debate on full range speakers.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 10:35:10 AM Wardsweb wrote:

I find there is no one perfect system that does it all well. Given that, you build a system for a specific purpose. Tom has put together a fantatic system for his love of classical music. This system is not for everyone or is it intended to be, but for jass, classical, vocals this system is sweet. The imaging and details are crisp and fast. The bass while not chest shaking is tight and what I equate to the sound of a 300 year old acoustic upright bass in contrast to a new electric bass. The combination of vinyl played through a pair of 2A3 SET amps is magical. I own a pair of these Bottlehead Paramours, along with some custom 2A3's and yes some mega power and current solid state amps too. I like it all from 6 watts (my living room) to 2000 watts (my den). I run everything from Martin Logan electrostats to Altec horns and even some DIY speakers. There are many roads to music bliss, so you don't have to travel someone else's to get to your destination.

----------------

Wardsweb,

Thank you for bringing what I consider as the proper perspective to the original post.

Klipsch out.

Kevin,

Yes I did, sorry me. I haven't written an email in a couple of days. The postPERSON hid them so neatly behind a planter pot near the front door that I did not see them until Tuesday because I almost always enter the house through the garage. Many Many Thanks. I need more hours in the day!

Klipsch out.

Just to bounce back for a second, and please don't hold me to this, because it's been a good forty years since I saw one, but, as I recall, the Air Coupler was a long, slender box - it looked a little like the ones in the picture - with a woofer mounted about a third of the way down in a plywood enclosure on the back. The idea was that the speaker would fire across slots in the cabinet, one upper and one lower. This was supposed to make the air in the chambers resonate the same way it does when when you blow over the top of a soda bottle and give you lots of bass - which it did if you were around the resonant frequencies of the chambers. There were two chambers so you'd have two big peaks instead of just one. My Sunday School teacher was going build giant ones on either side of his fireplace chimney extending down into the basement, but I don't think he ever got around to it.

Like I said, this was long ago and I could be misremembering, but I think that was it.2.gif

Capn---Ahh, now I remember reading a little about those back in the late 60s in my first ever DIY horn speaker book, Davis and Badmeinoff's (both Altec honchos) immortal "Building Loudspeaker Enclosures". How many of guys had that book? Still have my copy. Rememeber John Hilliard's huge Altec IB system built into a 2-story high stone fireplace? :-)

I know people still use that book for some of the plans: Klipsch Shorthorn, Jensen Imperials and Altec 825s among others.

On 2/13/2004 12:22:41 PM TBrennan wrote:

Capn---Ahh, now I remember reading a little about those back in the late 60s in my first ever DIY horn speaker book, Davis and Badmeinoff's (both Altec honchos) immortal "Building Loudspeaker Enclosures". How many of guys had that book? Still have my copy. Rememeber John Hilliard's huge Altec IB system built into a 2-story high stone fireplace? :-)

I know people still use that book for some of the plans: Klipsch Shorthorn, Jensen Imperials and Altec 825s among others.

----------------

Tom,

I remember that book - believe I still have a copy floating around somewhere. The stone fireplace "enclosure" was something I always wanted. Maybe it's time to revisit that book and paln for a new house

9.gif9.gif

MarkBK

In regards to the Abbeys...at $1500 they are an excellent choice for folks looking for hi-efficiency speakers...I have heard these and they are very musical with very little fatigue factor, especially nice with jazz, female vocalists etc...they are definitely not rockers...but I applaud Terry Cain for bringing something to the market other than another polite 2-way mid effecient speaker...by the way they are gorgeous in person withe huge WAF...if I hadn't owned Klipsch for the last 25 years would probably have considered them myself.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 10:01:25 AM mdeneen wrote:

"They perform admirably in that 70 - 1000hz range and I would recommend many FRs for that frequency range."

----------------

1 KHz always seemed to me the most inconvenient place imagineable to "change drivers." i.e. exactly where the ear is most sensitive to pitch, SPL, distortion, and direction. And, where most musical instruments begin to develop harmonics. OTOH, a driver that can cover 100Hz to 5KHz, will have managed to stuff about 95% of the musical content into one voice - good or bad as it may be.

----------------

Hello Mdeneen -

My point on the 70 - 1000hz range is that, if using this as a mid woofer, covering 80-850hz you have enough clean range to cover high xover transition from 500hz to 850hz. I agree with 1000hz not being an optimum frequency for Xover, but for the speakers I have built that LF up to 850 hz is very valuable - clean response to 1000hz is a great way to gaurantee that upper part of the range is well managed.

cheers

mark....yes, I've always like the JBL D130 too. In fact, not too many years ago, I put some D140's in a pair of Kustom (tuck & roll) bass (musical instrument amp) speaker cabs. On a regular weekly gig as house band, the sound guy asks over the monitor during sound check, what kind of drivers I'm using. He thought they sounded really good. One of these days I'd like to put them in the Khorns & Belle see what happens.