Dynamat on the Klipsch mid horns ??

tcb

Search function is in the top right hand corner of this screen , type in the " key " word your looking for and hit search.

This will bring up all past posts on the topic your looking for, try different words and combinations of words.

If you have no success someone will chime in here and post you a link to a old thread.

It sure made a big difference when I did it to my Cornwalls.

I tend to agree with you on the "ringing" thing. When I had one of the lenses out, tapping on it did make it do the Liberty Bell thing pretty good, but I when I went over to the other Cornwall and did the same thing to the lens still attached to the motorboard -- it didn't do it all. I don't think the problem is that they "ring", I think the problem is that they vibrate. I figure it takes very little movement in the throat area to create fairly audible effects at the mouth and beyond. I think the caulk helps because of the mass it adds.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 1:35:20 AM Piranha wrote:

So, this method supposedly takes the ringing out of the horns? I guess in the future I should just buy newer Heritage with platic horns?
----------------

Piranha,

It does make a difference. The Zebras at Smilin's I did with modeling clay - one horn at a time - one cab at a time - reassembled and listened extensively. Back when I did the Cornwalls - Frank Van Alstine was publishing a newsletter on effective mods and recommended this dampening using modeling clay (available from toys r' us at 1.00 /lb). It's reversable and easy to do. I found it made a differnce. Even the plastic horns vibrate to a degree - I'm thinking of trying it on the RF5' s I now use.

MarkBK10.gif

um, I used dynamat on the squawker horn and liked the sound. It was pretty much covered, much like the rope caulk picture there, only I also wrapped my horn in duct tape for added classiness.

Then in a fit of cognitive dissonance I took it off, which BTW, screwed up the dynamat to the point where it wouldn't go back on.

I hated the sound then, agonized over whether it was right, and finally after about a month bought some rope caulk. Two boxes, not twenty, and put about 1/8 as much as was on the picture above. I used a four wide stripe of rope caulk and went along the vertical sides of the horn, and used two more four wide stripes along the left and right sides of the top and bottom of the horn. Then I wrapped the mouth area (closest to the driver) with about an eight wide stripe. Pushed all these down hard with a little roller like you use for wallpaper, so there is a good bond between caulk and the horn.

The results are good. I have felt no compulsion to change them. If I ever am not lazy I will take a picture and post it.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 10:34:48 AM TBrennan wrote:

My buddy Chang puttied the living Hell out of the horns of his LaScalas and the speakers still sounded lousy. :-)

----------------

Been to that party !

We chopped the top off our LaScala's and mounted an oris horn , took awhile to get the crossover cooking but what we lost in listening time we gained back in cool looks 3.gif

BB---Yeah, once I did a bi-amped setup with Maggie MG-Is above 400hz and LaScala basshorns below; made for a VERY dynamic set of Maggies.

I also found that substituting EV SM-120A horns for the K-400s improved my LSs, in my room the wider dispersion of the EVs took away the "fierceness" of the LSs. So much is room and layout dependant.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 1:35:20 AM Piranha wrote:

So, this method supposedly takes the ringing out of the horns? I guess in the future I should just buy newer Heritage with platic horns?

----------------

Tell you the truth, I don't hear no stinkin ringing, they sound lively and clear to me.

Tom