Ever listen to stuff you wouldn't tell your friends about?

jtice

Sixties and seventiesRock'n Roll foreverdisco sucksnever trust anybody over thirty. We swore to never change. Tonight I'm listening to J.S. Bach, The Great Organ Works by Peter Hurford. Man, this stuff kicks serious butt! Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Fantasia and Fugue in G minor, half volume, LaScalas, 299Bawesome sounds. I'll have to go through the house tomorrow and see if any nails worked loose. Ever surprised yourself by discovering something so different that you wonder if it's actually you enjoying it?

----------------

On 2/14/2004 12:43:12 AM DeanG wrote:

No, never. I only listen to Kosher music. Tonight I listened to The Beatles, David Gilmour's first solo effort, and Korn.

----------------

Throw in some " Four Horseman " and you've hit all the 4 major food groups .9.gif

We must have well balanced and healthy listening habits ya know 11.gif

Digital Master Disc, "The Bee Gees Music" Maestro Carmen Dragon conducting The Glendale Symphony Orchestra with Sabu.

This is basically Saturday Night Fever. An Orinda Records 1979 lp I picked up God knows where but it's an amazing recording which is why I play it on occasion.

My guess is I'm the only forum member with a copy.9.gif

----------------

On 2/13/2004 11:05:53 PM jtice wrote:

Sixties and seventies–Rock'n Roll forever–disco sucks–never trust anybody over thirty. We swore to never change. Tonight I'm listening to J.S. Bach, The Great Organ Works by Peter Hurford. Man, this stuff kicks serious butt! Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Fantasia and Fugue in G minor, half volume, LaScalas, 299B–awesome sounds. I'll have to go through the house tomorrow and see if any nails worked loose. Ever surprised yourself by discovering something so different that you wonder if it's actually you enjoying it?

----------------

Was a teen in the '70s who grew up on Bach, Franck, and Widor organ compositions played by Hurford, Biggs, and Fox, and was too embarrassed to admit I loved classical organ works to my peers. Now I'll also listen to Marilyn Manson, 311, Crash Test Dummies, and Norah Jones...should I still be embarrassed to admit I like this music to all you here?

Oh, and I also have the "Saturday Night Fever" LP...You should be dancing, yeah...4.gif

----------------

On 2/14/2004 2:21:23 AM jt1stcav wrote:

----------------

On 2/14/2004 2:12:27 AM m00n wrote:

No, I am not gay. I am just secure in my manly man.
2.gif

----------------

m00n, just how securely are you IN your manly man?
2.gif
The things your poor wife has to put up with...LOL!
6.gif

----------------

Alright... Damn, guess that didn't come out right did it. 9.gif You get my point though.11.gif

The Dave Brubeck Quartet: "Jazz Impressions of New york City."

Charlie Shavers: "Excitement Unlimited" (Mono)

A couple of one dollar estate sale records. In great shape, though used.

The Jimi Hendrix "Axis: Bold as Love" is pretty trashed, and that sucks!

I really need to get a TT, if I keep buying LP's.

----------------

On 2/14/2004 1:49:52 AM jt1stcav wrote:

Was a teen in the '70s who grew up on Bach, Franck, and Widor organ compositions played by Hurford, Biggs, and Fox, and was too embarrassed to admit I loved classical organ works to my peers.

----------------

No kiddin I had hardly even heard of Bach in those days. A few references in some of the rock music. Now, I often start the day with Bach. The cello suites is what lit lit my fuseup to four versions. Then sonatas and partitas for solo violin, Goldberg variations... Something about the intricate patterns, energizing yet relaxingand with solo instrumentation. It's almost as if Bach is it's own category of music.

I also sampled recordings by Fox and Biggs in the store but chose Hurford because it seemed to have more body, dynamics, better pace. But I was probably only hearing 1/10 of the sound through h-phones. How would you say the Fox and Biggs recordings compare?

According to my old LPs, the Columbia Masterworks label that E. Power Biggs recorded with was decent sounding, with good sonic clarity and warmth. Not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but not the worse either.

On the other hand, I don't know what Dr. Virgil Fox was thinking when he recorded with the RCA Red Seal label...awful is the only word to describe it! Flat, two dimensional sound, dull, lifeless, and at times highly distorted! The CD versions of these LPs have been remastered for better dynamics and imaging, but the source tapes and/or direct-to-disc masters still suck out loud, so it's hard to improve on them. Which is a real shame seeing how I thoroughly enjoy Fox's post-romantic interpretations and playing technique over Bigg's strictly purist's interpretations (both late, great organists were outstanding in their style of performance, but I like how Fox would jazz things up a bit IMO)!

----------------

On 2/14/2004 2:12:27 AM m00n wrote:

Oh just thought of another... It's actually not old, it's not just music, it's a musical... Moulin Rouge. Not sure why but damn, I fricken love that movie.

No, I am not gay. I am just secure in my manly man.
2.gif

----------------

Interesting. I'm gay and I can't stand that movie. Maybe there's a correlation here.

woo

----------------

On 2/14/2004 9:34:31 AM jt1stcav wrote:

According to my old LPs, the Columbia Masterworks label that E. Power Biggs recorded with was decent sounding, with good sonic clarity and warmth. Not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but not the worse either.

On the other hand, I don't know what Dr. Virgil Fox was thinking when he recorded with the RCA Red Seal label...awful is the only word to describe it! Flat, two dimensional sound, dull, lifeless, and at times highly distorted! The CD versions of these LPs have been remastered for better dynamics and imaging, but the source tapes and/or direct-to-disc masters still suck out loud, so it's hard to improve on them. Which is a real shame seeing how I thoroughly enjoy Fox's post-romantic interpretations and playing technique over Bigg's strictly purist's interpretations (both late, great organists were outstanding in their style of performance, but I like how Fox would jazz things up a bit IMO)!

----------------

You hit the nail on the head with those thoughts. I truly *LOVE* Dr. Fox's interpretations, but the Red Seal Label was a horrible injustice to his work. I'm with you in that I don't understand why he kept them around.

BTW, how does that SET work with your organ music?

woo