K-horn

richieb

They used to make some basic models in fir plywood. Hence FR. You're probably looking at one of those.

The price seems high. You should check e-bay, particularly earlier, closed auctions. For that price you could get walnut or oak in a full cabinet.

Gil

Those must be the one Ki Choi (sp?) is selling on Audiogon. Personally, I think $1850 is high for a C-type plain plywood cabinet. I would think $1250 or less would be more in line. The individual is a member of the forum and if I am not mistaken did offer them here first prior to going to Audiogon with them. The sound would obviously be the same. Your call!

Klipsch went from manufacturing its speakers in marine-grade fir plywood to cabinet-grade birch plywood sometime before 1976, when I started there...likely around 1973 or 1974. The construction techniques remained the same, but the birch plywood was a much better material. Matter of fact, the birch Klipsch used was special-ordered from Georgia-Pacific so that it had 7 inner plys with two outer veneers and was consistently void-free on its inner plys. The wood panels used that were veneered in oak, walnut, etc...were poplar lumber-core plywood, though.

Richard,

It was a shame BMW came out with the R100S and didn't offer it up with the RS motor until they came out with the R100CS! Those RS motor 40mm carbs, 40mm exhausts with dual crossovers, and larger exhaust valves and such really make a difference in performance. No telling how many times I have had to explain the differences to folks with S models and CS models...and also explain the difference to those with post-1984 R100RS and RT models...32mm carbs and smaller valved heads and smaller interior-diameter headers with a single crossover just don't GRUNT the bike uphill under a load like the original RS motor's 40mm ones do! My goal is to eventually have two more airheads...a 1984 "last edition" R100CS, and a motorsport R100RS with the red eyebrow. I am kinda partial to pearl white beemers.