While working in the lab late one night..........

3dzapper

Georg, With the price of 7591s going up to nearly $200 for a matched set of used tubes and NOS even more I decided to try this. A good sounding set of Svetlana EL-34s from Uncle Ned costs only $70. I will be the lab rat in this. If it works long term I will reveal the secrets to the conversion. Right now I am just burning it in with a set of old Sovteks. The sound is almost there, it needs just a little more tweaking These tubes are a little warm sounding (more emphisis in the bass) than the Svetlanas. If the bias holds steady I'll swap in the Svets later for a real listening test. Everything else in the amp ahead of the output circuit is NOS design.

One more thing, you can not use a Scott cabinette with these tubes. They are an inch taller than 7591s.

Rick

I got my NOS 7591 matched quad of Sylvania tubes in last night and they sound pretty nice, almost identical to the EH 7591 tubes. How would you compare your EL-34 to a good 6L6GC output tube? I have heard that the EH are basicall rebottled 6L6GC tubes with a 7591 pinout, and they sound close to a 6L6 than a NOS 7591.

----------------

On 2/17/2004 4:30:33 PM bclarke421 wrote:

GFH-

Really? Almost identical? That certainly surprises me. The EH is neither a 6L6 or a 7591, but somewhere betwixt.

----------------

To be quite honest, i let it warm up for a good 2 hours and to me it sounds about the same, the NOS seem to be a tad brighter on the voices but all in all, the bass response and high end seem to be about the same to my ears. They both sound very dynamic with a warm tone. I am using JJ Tesla 12AX7's and i have a set of Telefunken 12ax7 that ill swap in tonight and see what diffrence i notice, plus I have a set of Ei Gold pin 12ax7 on order that should be here in a week or two and swap them out and see if i gain a diffrent sound.

I am concerned about that too Ryan. I have small 6.3V tranny that I am going to power one pair with. Sound wise this is fabulous! All the good points of the 299 front end and all the good points of the EL34s. So far after about seven hours of continous running the tranny temps are: 113 and 126 on the outputs and 155 on the power. Just a little warmer on the OPTs than before but the EL34s put out a lot more heat than 7591s. I have the EL34s biased at 50mA right now I think I'm going to keep them at more like 45 in the end. Plus I just got done playing the Greatful Dead at 95+ dbs for a little bit more than 2 hours.

Rick