I finally took the plunge! Khorns

playntheblues

Please welcome a pair of.....KBBR Khorns Serial #'s 6506683, 6506685. After talking with the guys at Klipsch, we are sure that the "0" is probably a d,g or c. Ether way I will pick them up on Saturday morning . Now for the best part...This guy had them on ebay in Ft worth (I'm in Dallas) starting bid was $800.00 I emailed him the first hour and asked him what his buy it now price was before he had any bids. He responded with his phone number and a price $600.00 .

I have heard about these deals but have never seen any YAHOOOOOOOOOOO! They will be mated with a Cayin TA 30 with focus control, bias, sub out and upgraded caps (aura?). They will be placed in my game room 25' X 15'. Along the 25' wall. I am told they work perfectly and that the finish is very good. The cain grills have some spots so we will see if they come out or have to be replaced.

This guy has owned them for 8 years and has replaced one of the diaphragms in a tweeter. Now for the bad or not so bad news. One of the speakers has a 2' water stain on the bottom . Apparently this happened prior to his purchase but I have been assured that the birch is fine etc. etc. other then the water mark.

I will update everyone this weekend after a nice scotch and some good jazz . I do want to thank everyone for their help and patients as it has been very helpful in my search. Which by the way has taken about two years. Now only to be able to sleep the next couple of nights. All the best, Guy9.gif6.gif15.gif2.gif

Playn, don't sweat the small stuff with these bad mamas. Are you moving them in an enclosed van, or in a pickup bed?

I had to wait five months before I got my babies hooked up to a good system, and was away from home for four of the five. Talk about some seperation anxiety! When you do get them, resist the urge to change anything for a couple months. The best thing you can do soundwise is to make sure the tailboard is firmly mated with the corners of the walls. Get some bigger channels if you have to, but getting a great seal is #1 on the priority list. Way to go!3.gif3.gif

Yikes, $600 for the pair?? As Q said, no plunge there. That's like a politician taking candy from a baby. Congrats on an incredible deal. Please provide plenty of pics when you get those babies home. That Excursion should have plenty of room for them; I brought mine home shoehorned into an Explorer. Wow, $600!

Plan on two trips in your Excursion. There is absolutely no way you will get two horns in that space. I used a full size cargo van. Too tall to stand them upright. Wrapped them in moving blankets and layed them down. I had to negotiate about 8 stairs and they are heavy mothers for two guys. Good luck - at $600 you can afford to pay someone to haul them for you.

Great price!

Congrats.

If your vehicle can't handle them with ease, then maybe a rental van or enclosed trailer is in order.

I hauled mine home in an enclosed trailer and had no worries at all.

IMO. For that purchase price, it would be worth spending a few extra bucks to rent.

Better safe than sorry....I always say.10.gif

Regards,

John.

What a great deal.

I once moved a pair in a Chevy Tahoe, so an Excursion should't be any problem. It was a little tricky, I took the tops and grills off to make it easier to get them in the back. Since the guy I bought them from was about 70 years old, he really didn't help me much. Without the tops off, they would fit laying down on their sides, face to face. Bring plenty of blankets and a person to help get them into the back of the truck.

Greg

Greg, Thanks I feel better about them fitting in the truck now, if they fit in your Tahoe. I think sheltie dave had some good advice too. Don't do anything to them for at least a couple of months and get use to them. Good advise....but it might be had to follow11.gif .

My Cayin amp is 35 watts push pull with 4 el34's, but you can remove the 2nd and fourth el34, rebiais (spelling?) it and it is NOW a 4 watt S.E.T. amp. Can't wait to play

9.gif

We had a 1971 large Westinghouse freezer. Built heavier than the proverbial brick shiphouse. Close to three hundred pounds of viscous misery down in the basement. It took us fifteen seconds to get it up the flight of thirteen steps and the porch. We got a moving dolly, strapped it on the frame, laid out long planks on the stairs, threw a couple sheets of plywood against the finished wall, and pulled the sucker up the stairs with a long rope. Didn't even break a sweat. It worked so well we pulled twelve more items out this way, including my ex La Scalas.

Hopefully you have a straight run of stairs and can do likewise. The thump-thump-thump if you use a dolly step by step, or the agony of carrying the bastops upstairs is difficult at best. Gives new meaning to the phrase , "the agony and the ecstacy."2.gif

playntheblues,

Congratulations on landing a pair of Khorns at $600! I havaen't stop kicking myself to verify reality for the $750 price for mine.

One additional piece of advice. Regardless which vehicle you use. Rent an appliance dolly from UHaul or anyone else who may have them for rent! It will allow you to strap those Khorns to the dolly, wrapped with a blanket or some heavy duty bubble wrap, and move them fairly effortlessly with the two of you. The appliance dolly also has skids for assisting you with leaning and lifting the load against and up the steps. The appliance dolly is only about $10 dollars to rent per day and will pay for itself in how easy it will make moving those beasts up any flight of stairs, not to mention moving them from their present location, then lifting them onto or into any vehicle.

Enjoy your Khorns, and enjoy the music.

Klipsch out.