OMG I just bought an Academy for $225 SWEET!!!

Freak On A Leash

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some great luck with one of my Academy centers. I found some old e-mail addresses through a google search and sent off about a dozen seeming pointless requests. I got one good response back from someone and they said they had upgraded(?) to a Martin Logan system he still had the Academy in his closet. I asked him what he wanted for it and I about fell over when he said I could have it for ... oh say . . . $75.

Absolute mint oiled oak.

Enjoy the sound!

Well, hopefully the link I posted and the 11 people that saw it had enough decency to not do such a thing as I wouldn't do it to them. I was just very happy with my purchase and thought I would share. After someone said something in the post I realized that I should have just kept my mouth shut on the subject because you never know what levels people will go to get something that they want.

I hope it all works out because like I said, my luck this past year has been crap with the divorce and all, it was a nice find. Hopefully I will be able to get this speaker. I also would give him more money for it if he said something to me, but I will see how things play out.

Freak

----------------

On 2/20/2004 12:47:44 PM Freak On A Leash wrote:

Well, hopefully the link I posted and the 11 people that saw it had enough decency to not do such a thing as I wouldn't do it to them. I was just very happy with my purchase and thought I would share. After someone said something in the post I realized that I should have just kept my mouth shut on the subject because you never know what levels people will go to get something that they want.

----------------

Unfortunatly, you are correct.

Like they say - "A bird in hand is better then two birds in the bush", or

"Don't count your chickens before they hatch."

I remember last spring, somebody posted up a pair of Cornwall IIs for sale on here. They were just down in Richmond, and the guy was asking $500. Practically right in my backyard! There where something like 3 people gunning for them (myself included). Somebody from out of the blue snatched them up from right under everybody else's noses! Ah well, no sweat off my back. I am certainly not mad at the guy that got them - this was definitly one of those "he who got there the fastest with the mostest" type scenarios, and I did not get there the fastest.

Once you do have that speaker in hand, let us know how this all panned out.

Well, I'm going to assume that SOMEONE emailed the seller and said something because GUESS WHAT? I got an email tonight stating that one of the cones had a tear in it after further inspection........Somehow I had this sinking feeling when I realized what I did yesterday that this was EXACTLY how this was going to play out.....

So, to anyone that may have been the culprit behind this...>THANK YOU. It's truely sad and it does nothing but keep pushing the prices of these things up.

Sorry if I'm a bit bitter......

I did pick up a KLF-C7 tonight though, not as nice of a price.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/20/2004 9:05:26 PM Freak On A Leash wrote:

Well, I'm going to assume that SOMEONE emailed the seller and said something because GUESS WHAT? I got an email tonight stating that one of the cones had a tear in it after further inspection........Somehow I had this sinking feeling when I realized what I did yesterday that this was EXACTLY how this was going to play out.....

So, to anyone that may have been the culprit behind this...>THANK YOU. It's truely sad and it does nothing but keep pushing the prices of these things up.

Sorry if I'm a bit bitter......

I did pick up a KLF-C7 tonight though, not as nice of a price.

----------------

Freak, email him back and say it's okay, you will take it anyway2.gif I am really starting to hate ebay sellers more and more. I really feel for you, I know how pissed off I got when I got screwed. Try at least to F*** with him, at least for FUN and to help relieve some of that built up aggravation. This is the reason I would not post earlier, my fingers were crossed for you to get this steal of a deal.

It's a shame when greed wins out over a person's integrity. In this case, the sellers integrity was probably worth an extra $200-300. I'd email him and tell him you have an extra driver for it and will still take it and see what he says. I bet he comes up with a different problem then.

On the plus side, I think you'll like the KLF-C7 better than the Academy anyway. It is a bit more accurate with the human voice in my opinion (and isn't that what a center channel is mainly used for- dialogue?). I think a lot of people have been duped into thinking the Academy is the holy grail for heritage speakers. Duped may be a harsh term as it is a very nice center channel, but it is not worth $500+.

Regards,

Dave

Suck's for the buyer when prices are over-inflated that way. I got lucky when I found my Academy in a pawn shop for $150. 2 short years ago I was buying KLF-C7's off of U-Bid for $240 delivered to my door. All my friends currently have C7's I sold to them at cost. Keep an eye out locally and you will eventually get lucky.