New KHorns??

sja

Considering the purchase of a new pair of(2004) Klipschhorns--I think my ARC amp and pre will work well with them. However, I've heard here and there that Klipsch is slipping and that current Heritage models are not what they once were. True or Not?? Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

I just bought new Klipschorns. Klipsch is slipping all right...right to the top. A lot of hard work went into the redesigns (new drivers and networks), and the opinion of those who have actually heard the new models compared to those of the past -- consider them to be the best sounding Klipschorns ever. As far as workmanship goes -- mine are gorgeous in every respect, and I see no evidence indicating a lack of pride in the craft.

Dean,

Thanks for the input--I was hoping for that response! I'm a bit torn on the finish to choose. I've narrowed it down (I think) to the Mahogany or black--looking for a finish that won't go 'out of style' as I plan on holding on to these forever. (choices at this time are apparently Walnut, Oak, Unfinished Oak, Mahogany, and Black) Do you know if the fine folks in Hope will do any other "custom" finishes?? What is your opinion on taking the Unfinished Oak and refinishing after purchase? Again, appreciate the info--

Steve

I think Mahogany would be great. Do you have any other furniture-matching considerations? Whether you should refinish them yourself is a question of whether you would be any good at it and whether you want the extra work involved, as opposed to paying Klipsch to do it for you. If I were buying new, I'd get the Klipsch finish at the same time.

Well...I, for one, "ACTUALLY HEARD" the new Klipschorns at Indy last summer. I hope they sell the hell outta em!...along with the rest of the Heritage line! I just can't foresee myself being able to afford them in my future...so I go for other alternatives. It helps when one knows how to build them, though. 9.gif

SJA...I got a little chuckle out of your quandry over a finish for your K-horns that wouldn't go out of style. In the late 70's when I was there, the decision was made to discontinue offering Mahogany finished speakers because the finish was "out of style"!!!!

Put paisley print on them and they sound "Just the same"!!

I always liked listening to them in the dark best anyway.9.gif

----------------

On 2/21/2004 9:04:55 PM Mr. P wrote:

In the late 70's when I was there, the decision was made to discontinue offering Mahogany finished speakers because the finish was "out of style"!!!!

I always liked listening to them in the dark best anyway.
9.gif

----------------

That's funny on the mahogany.

Listening in the dark: You've got that right. The absolute best way to listen. Nothing else can pull you into the music better.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 6:46:47 PM mark1101 wrote:

Hey Dean,

As I look at the picture the Khorns are certainly not the problem. It's that high school AV rack. What does the wife say about that?

By the way the horns are gorgeous.

----------------

No doubt. I'd find a good spot on the exterior wall to build a false-wall "built-in" rack. Then I'd install one of those kitchen stove type exhaust systems behind it, so there'd be no troubles with keeping those tubes cool.