What 's the deal with Audiogon?

SteelerFan

I've emailed more than five different people with a question on their ad. It's usually an innocent question like how long have they had it or could I pick it up if I buy it. I would never want to send someone a payment for an item without at least trying to get a feel for their motives to sell. Only one ever responded to my query and he tried to play me on the price. Is it just me or is Audiogon just like ebay, ripe with crooks?

Steelerfan,...

I have had a very good experience with one of the regulars over there. Wally at Underwood HiFi is a straight shooter. He has excelent feedback, and took care of me like I was his best buddy. Be prepared though, if you ever deal with him. He is a very busy guy, and his mannerism reflex that. You can tell he is busy, but will listen to every question you have, and answer on the spot. Straigh forward, no messing around. I purchased a BPT transformer from him. Got a good deal, and great service.

GRCRY,...>>>--->

ps,..I'm still debating about my surround situation, if you remember the posts I have made on it. You mentioned you would be interested in how things turn out. I haven't got all the info I need yet.

Audiogon, like eBay, is just a prism. There are a lot of people left in the world who still believe in things like honesty and integrity, and there is a somewhat smaller number that turn that belief into action. Then there's got the "money makes the world go 'round" crowd, and for them inetegrity is either an abstract concept or a word that suckers use to make themselves feel better.

Unfortunately money is attracted to people who will do anything for it, so a lot of really nice toys are in the hands of sociopaths. I think you've just had a run of bad luck, and I hope things will turn around for you.

I would say for the most part they are a pretty good bunch but as was said,there's some in every crowd.It would be nice if sellers responded to all questions good or bad.I have gotten a few good deals on audiogon and dealt w/good people.If they don't answer or care you're prolly better off they didn't.

I, too, have had good results on Audiogon. I've gotten many emails about items I had for sale that were absolutely rediculous, but the sane ones who wanted a reasonable value for their $ always win out. Same has been true as a buyer. They may be knee deep in emails, or thinking someone's deal is the one they want. That's not my approach, but I'm trying to second guess.

SSH

The stuff that is fairly priced on Audiogon will be sold within a week with a phone call. As I have learned to my chagrin three times in the past two weeks, great deals move within an hour. Most of the people on Audiogon are honest - I have never received a phone call from a seller whose buyer left them standing at the altar holding a thousand dollar set of amps. They know value, ask for it, and also are willing to provide a limited buyback period if anything bellys up.

Most gon people will not be receptive to inviting a stranger to their house, but feel free to ask. At some time, your stars will align, and you'll find a fair price on something you want, a willing seller, and they will live a block from you. Just keep trying and be patient! If you are really needing something, throw a wanted on gon and in your local paper. Something will turn up...

----------------

On 2/23/2004 9:50:04 PM BigBusa wrote:

heretic, does this mean you have all junk or are you a sociopath too?
9.gif

----------------

LOL. I knew someone would take the opportunity to turn what I said into something I didn't say. Maybe I gave the impression that I think there are more bad apples than I really do. 1.gif

And no, I'm not a sociopath, and yes, all of my stuff is decidedly low to mid-range, but I've worked hard to get what I do have, and it's mine, and I never screwed anybody in the least way to get any of it, and I enjoy the heck out of it, and as time goes by and my fortunes change for the better again I'll upgrade. 9.gif

Audiogon is great I had nothing but a great experience their. It makes me never want to buy something new I really do not like ebay. More con men their but you do have a gamble no matter what route you take on used products. I know what you mean by sometimes people take awhile to respond to emails. Like one time i had an awesome deal on a rotel av receiver for 300 and waited and waited. So i figured it was already sold so i go an bid on a denon on ebay. I win the bid and the guy emails me saying he well sell the rotel to me and he has another buyer lined up so let him know soon. Bummer i shouldv'e waited a day but i didn't expect an email back after a week or two after i sent it.