why do people really want Khorns?

mandi

The classic Klipschorn was patented in 1948... and fifty-six years later its being essentially hand-built in Hope. That's the longest run of a loudspeaker in audio history... or so I've been told. Owning a bona fide Classic has a mystique of its own... but owning one that replicates the essential character of symphony with horn clarity makes a Klipschorn a joy beyond.

When Mr. Paul became fascinated with the Bell Labs "three-channel stereo" concept, he put two Klipschorns in the corner and invented the LaScala to fill in the middle as a non-corner loaded horn. The first Mrs. B. Klipsch was not impressed with the visual effect... and, so, Mr. Paul whittled and fiddled until he came up with the spruced up Belle Klipsch... which just happened to be his wife's name.

Listening to a symphonic concert with the same set-up as Mr. Paul had in his own home until his dying day gives extra dimension to the classic loudspeaker built in an Arkansas shed by a classic maverick with a yellow button for a wayward would-be audiophile. Good night Mr. Paul, somewhere in the world, there must always be a Klipschorn singing your praises in abstentia. =HornEd

You know, as big as Klipschorns are, I'm guessing they'd make less of a visual impact being in the corners than, say, my Cornwalls. It kind of gives the corners a purpose in life. I have two good corners, therefore I want Klipschorns!

----------------

On 2/23/2004 11:40:49 PM fini wrote:

You know, as big as Klipschorns are, I'm guessing they'd make less of a visual impact being in the corners than, say, my Cornwalls. It kind of gives the corners a purpose in life. I have two good corners, therefore I want Klipschorns!

----------------

Which is why I so badly want K-Horns for my basement HT - I'm going to have 4 good corners. The other three in my 7.1 will have to be Belles or LaScalas - but dammit I want K-Horns in my corners!

If I wanted something unobtrusive, fer chrissakes I can buy Triad In-Wall speakers at dealer cost. My wife and I already have a fundamental understanding that, when I build the basement HT, it's my baby, I do what I want with it, as long as she still has her upstairs living room to be relatively equipment-free.

We have a 20" TV up there with a DVD player and a VCR. That's it.

Downstairs will be my domain, and I will fill it with whatever monstrosities I choose to. 11.gif

Why do people want them? Because they are the best. I heard my first pair at 18, and never thought I'd be able to afford them. Then, after being reintroduced to them a couple years ago in Hope, I knew I needed to get a pair. About a year later, I did, and marvel at their sound every time I turn them on.

First impressions will last a life time. A properly set up pair of Khorn`s driven by Mcintosh spinning BOSTON in the 77-78 era will put you on a path to try to get that special sound at home. Not there yet but getting close; Heresy`s and LaScala`s come close but still not the magic. I will have to keep my eyes open for a set of Belles and Khorns and of course Mcintosh.

BigBusa,

Guess my old khorns arent real as I can lift them alone. I have moved my khorn sevrel times all by myself.

but I use to have a horn loaded live sound sytem and learn how to lift big speaker alone.

Hell the khorn are small compared to myn old horn loaded bass bins.

Well, me says you gotta have goals, and I think a natural progression would be to own the top o' the line. The thrill of the chase is also exciting, and until then, you always wonder "what would THOSE sound like"!

I don't think I want to listen to a pair first 'cause then I'd get a bad itch and end up making some foolish decision (since I already have 2 sets of Klipsch gathering dust).

Yeah, I'd want a pair of Korns but I'm a piker at heart and would have to fund them with a part-time job as long as I'm married!!

NP - Rush in Rio (This sounds pretty darn nice on my Forte's tonite - very live recording !)

Certain products leave lasting impressions. For me, hearing a great (really!) Jonathan Edwards LP over a pair of klipschorns at the "House of Sound" in Springfield, MO, in about 1976 was it. That experience became the "holy grail" that every other hi-fi encounter therafter was compared to. I bought that LP on the spot (Sailboat), and it has remained a life-long favorite to this day. (I just wish SOMEBODY would put it out on CD!) And of course, though I didn't really know it at the time, I started that day on a path that did finally lead to owning my own k-horns about twenty-two years later. 16.gif