MkIIIs Up And Running

garymd

I received Craig's MkIIIs yesterday and after a test run with Larry's khorns today, I brought them home and hooked them up to my altec system. Needless to say, they sound absolutely fantastic. Certainly the best my altecs have ever sounded, by far. Incredible clarity with deep, rich but still tight bass.

It goes without saying that they sounded great on Larry's khorns. The imaging on the khorns was maybe the best I've ever heard.

Did I mention they are beautiful also? I know a few of you have seen them before. They look brand new! Actually better than new since they have those nice banana plugs on them. Also, easy as pie to bias. They run pretty hot compared to the scott but they're on an open shelf in my cool basement so I'm not worried.

They seem to mate very well with the Marantz too.1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may not get much sleep tonight!3.gif After a couple SACDs, I'm on to vinyl. The more I play, the better it sounds. Warren Zevon never sounded this good! My old technics never sounded this good! DAMN! This is sweeeet!!!!!9.gif I haven't even thrown any jazz on yet.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 9:10:56 PM Georg F. Handel wrote:

Very nice Gary, I cant wait to get mine and set them up with the Audio Experience preamp
1.gif

----------------

If they're anything like mine, you won't be dissappointed. Are you having them rebuilt?

Busa,

I've always been happy with the bass on the A-7s. The highs really sparkle now.

Thanks Guy. Thanks Dave. They really are special little amps.

GFH,

I saw those before. They're beauts!

Cool Struttin' on 200 gram vinyl. Amazing! 10 more minutes of my wife watching West Wing upstairs. I have to make the most of them.3.gif

Craig,

You da man!10.gif

As Gary said, I heard these today on my K's. The bass was VERY impressive -- powerful, deep, and very, very clean and well defined. Beyond that, I thought the entire top-to-bottom musical range and image were very well integrated, and his fine James Taylor CD sounded full K-horn size in the entire room. His Altecs generate the same kind of large, detailed image, so his Altec setup should be a terrific combination!

Larry

I have heard the amps you have at Craig's Lab.

I listened to them for about 4 hours last summer when I picked up my LK-48 after all of the full bias mod implementation.

It was a bit depressing to take the LK-48 home knowing it woulf never sound like the Dynaco Mark IIIs.

Neddless to say i will never part with the LK-48; sweet sound but not the effortless handling of the transients.

I have heard them with the Scott and Maple tree pre amps.

As hard as it may be to beleive; his new mono block amp implementation sounds better.

Listened to the mono blocks through the Mapletree into Craig's LaScalas and them my Chorus IIs for several hours on Saturday. Pure FUN! No audiophile adjectives needed.

============

We even did an A<=>B between Sony 333 SACD and MMF-7 both playing Weather Report "Heavy Weather".

Who won?

Let Craig and Whell chime in.

I'm trying not to think about the new amps. They must be really something to top these. I decided to spend a little less and grab these since he actually said yes when I asked him if he'd sell them to me. I'm just thrilled that the Marantz, as old as it is, is holding its own.

Larry,

Fingal's Cave is in the cue.2.gif

----------------

On 2/25/2004 10:44:09 PM NOSValves wrote:

I think I may have to drive to Marland and repossess them you have me drooling
2.gif
Thanks for the great comments.

Craig

----------------

Just bring a pair of your new amps with you and you can take these back.9.gif In fact, due to their sentimental value, I think you should do just that!2.gif

BTW - They're running nice at 72. Hard to get the bias exact but I made sure they all topped out at 72 as they were jumping around.

When biasing do it with the preamp off !! Your preamp is leaking DC and disrupting the bias slightlyit could take 5 minutes for the preamp to quite doing this once turned off. Also to fine tune it once you have them all close. Leave the red lead in a test point and insert the black into all the other 3 tests points one at a time and make the meter read zero by adjusting the bias pot for each test point. Your basically doing the same thing as when you balance your 299B. I am able to get each tube dead on this way but I also have to shut my preamp off because it causes slight distirbance becuase of mild DC leakage. Mark Deneens Blueberry and my Scott 130 never did.

One thing that should be mentioned and I think is very important point. These amps have one NOS tube in them the 12AU7 is a mullard CV4003 all other are inexpensive new production tubes. This is exactly as I run my own amps and audition them at meetings. A well designed and built amplifier does not require hundreds of dollars in NOS tubes to sound great.

Craig