My Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" arrived today

BigBusa

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/6/2004 8:49:15 PM garymd wrote:

My wife HATES jazz. She throws a fit when I play it too loud for her liking. We met because we were both into the Grateful Dead in college and she thinks I'm listening to jazz and classical music now in part to convince myself I'm a sophisticated audiophile.

----------------

Ha! that made me laugh! My classical music friends thought I was listening to rock and roll in college because I wanted to be hip! I loved the Grateful Dead as well, but tastes change, and though I still crank Jerry and the boys now and then, I have to have musical complexity (or at least complex simplicity) and sonic variety. It seems that as my system gets better (and with horns and tubes it made a quantum leap), the more I expect of the music that comes out of it.

peace,

Forrest

Forrest,

That's exactly where I am today. There's only so much Dead you can listen to in a lifetime. I had to move on. It's nice to have a balanced mix. It's also nice to know there is so much out there I've never heard that I know I'll enjoy. It's like being a teenager again in many ways.

----------------

On 3/9/2004 2:35:14 PM StuDog wrote:

Nothing is like being a teenager again, I'm sorry to say.

----------------

LOL. How true. I meant musically.

Sunday I sat down and listened to KOB from start to finish and wondered how anyone could possibly find it boring. Adderley, Coltrane and Davis trading solos is just amazing. Completely different styles yet they blend together so well on this lp.

I got my sealed 180 gram copy of Something Else in the mail today. Can't wait to hear it on lp for the first time.3.gif

Gary-

I'm sure you would enjoy this. Very fine performances all around, and exceptional recording as well. I believe CD only, but I haven't looked into it. Audio clipped title track is mellow, but there is some up stuff as well. There are some mixed-in old performances (ala Unforgettable) that tweak my purist bone, but it's done as tastefully as I can imagine. They don't pretend to be playing along with dead people, or anything like that.

hauntedheart.gif

Click for title track (real audio)

Listening to Sonny clarks "cool struttin" at about 1 min and 32 secs into the song a piano actually plays the song pop goes the weasel! Jazz is so unscripted. It's a bunch of instruments playing up and down the scale over and over with no rhyme or reason. It's so repetative that they even have to resort to pop goes the weasel sometimes.

sheesh.

BigBusa, that has to be one of the most blatantly ignorant posts I have seen in a long while. You have to go way out of your way to come up with these gems, with or without love of jazz.

Do you really think things are as simple as you paint them here? Has it crossed your mind that you might not be grasping the relation between the notes as they fly over your head?

Apparently, the 600w Monoblocks into 100dB speakers was only a start. Awaiting the next installment with pre-groan. Unscripted clue: Look up the word improvisation.

kh

Maybe pop goes the weasel is really jazz? I dunno? According to sonny clarks cool struttin it is.

I heard pop goes the weasel and thought ..."wow, this 11 min song is so lame that the unscripted up and down the scale solos have to include pop goes the weasel?"

If it's a joke then the laughs are on them IMO. Newbies listening to it hear pop goes the weasel and tune out immediately. Pop goes the weasel?!

6.gif9.gif

This is not a troll. Pop goes the weasel?! WTF?

MH improv IS jazz ...jazz IS improv! That's why I said earlier how ta heck can anyone hear a jazz "song" and know who it is or what the title is? That's my whole complaint about jazz ...it's all improv ...up and down and up and down the scale until they've done it so many times, in, out, up down, sideward, backward and forward ...then they have to resort to pop goes the weasel.

Yeah I guess I CAN see the humor.

It's called a "quote," dumb*ss! It happens ALL THE TIME during improvised solos and can rise to the level of GENIUS in the hands of a master improvisor. You should really try not to post too much of these idiotic ruminations--they really make you look stupid and devoid of ANY humor or understanding!

Dexter Gordon used this device more often and with as great effect as anyone in the history of jazz, but here are some of my favorites off the top of my head:

Johnny Griffin "Surry with the Fringe On Top" quote on Monk's Misterioso recorded live at the Five Spot on Riverside.

Dexter Gordon "Mexican Hat Dance" quote on "Go" and "Take me Out to the Ballgame" quote on "Our Man in Paris" both on Blue Note.

Ornette Coleman "Cherokee" quote on "The Great London Concert"

I could go on and on here, but suffice it to say that I think Clark's "Pop Goes the Weasal" quote on Cool Struttin is one of the greatest on record as well. But it isn't even the coolest use of this chestnut--that has to go to Thad Jones on Basie's "April in Paris"--one of the HIPPEST solos in the history of big band jazz. You MUST have heard this at SOME point? If not you've led a far more insular life than I even I expected!

You will never understand this music, so just MOVE ON!

BigBusa, to put it in reference, are you a Jimi Hendrix fan? I know you love Zeppelin but what about Hendrix? Hendrix was known to do this in his live peformances as well.

Ironically, one of his most famous instances was caught on tape during the Monterey Pop Festival rendition of the Trogg's Wild Thing where he suddenly broke into a few bars of what famous jazz standard?

kh