Ebay ??????

garymd

As a few of you know, I sold my Marantz last week on ebay. I originally stated US Buyers only but after a call or 2 from Japanese buyers who said I could ship it to friends in the states who would then take care of the overseas shipping, I decided to revise the auction, opening it to overseas bidders but stated that I WILL NOT UNDERVALUE for shipping purposes.

A guy from Taiwan won the auction and now wants me to value it at $85!!!!! He says, "Label as Old Preamp. Help me get less then customs." I won't do it. The 2nd highest bidder is also from Taiwan! The highest US bidder is not high enough for me to consider selling. I may just re-list.

Any thoughts or similiar experiences? I'm not a happy camper!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rules are rules. When they bid and win, they accept the contract on your terms. They want you to break Federal laws to save them a few bucks. You're absolutely right in not complying.

If they don't want to pay the price, then report them to Ebay for breach of contract and rebid. Post negative feedback on the seller.

If you relist, you might indicate in BOLD LETTERING, "customs weasels will be reported!" That should slow them down.

Personally, I won't ship or sell to anybody outside the USA anymore. It's just a PITA with all the paperwork and occasional dispute resolution.

That's how I started, Piranah. Probably should have left it that way but knew I'd get less. I was hoping one of the Japanese buyers would grab it. Turns out they were just trying to steal it cheap. I know undervaluing is done all the time but I'm just not comfortable with this type of transaction.

Gary,

I had a similar situation. Guy bought my receiver, and then claimed it was junk.....wanted me to pay for freight to get it back.......

I sent his money back, and just said keep it........... (he later was thown off ebay.............).

Must have missed that sale. Was that the Marantz 7c that you sold?....................if so Wow, sorry for your misfortunes..........

Bill,

It was the 7C. It wasn't a great auction anyway. I think relisting will work out better in the long run. I gave the guy 24 hrs to make a decision before I put it back up for auction. Since the 2nd highest bidder was from Taiwan also, I really don't feel like offering it to him either.

Is it better to wait a week or to relist right away?

hi,

in my opinion, i don't understand why you can't declare less

value for the item, also because if is wintage gear noone can

say that it really value more...

the vat that buyer will pay less are not money that go to US country

but to forengin country...

but for sure this things the bidder must to ask before to bid, after

will be in your right to decide if do in that way or not and bidder must

to pay for the item anyway if not is right you give negative feedback.

if you think not to do so you correctly give 24 hours to decide, after

relist and negative feedback.

It's really never a good idea to allow overseas buyers anyhow.

I listed a bass amplifier and stack combo on E-Bay for a friend - only offer i got was from an Indonesian guy who insisted on paying with a credit card only. I refused, offered the alternative of PayPal, Check, or MO, and he refused.

Come to find out, Southeast Asia is a hotbed for CC fraud. In all likelihood, the guy had a stolen card anyhow.

I guess the only two people that disagree would probably be Jeff Lessard and I. PErhaps I am missing something, but how is undervaluing the amp to save him shipping duties going to hurt you? IF you put an agreement in writing that he takes FULL resposibility for the amp, then I dont see how this is really hurting you. Actually, HE is the one taking the big chance, not you. Most will agree to this in writing.

I know Jeff wanted me to send stuff to Canada undervalued to avoid duty fees as it was insanely high making a used purchase not with it.

Unless I am reading you wrong, isnt this all that is being asked? Ask JEff about it...he has dont this several times. Actually, several forum members have gone this route as well.

Again, perhaps I am missing something in the loop but that is what it looks like to me. Of course, if you DID state that you WOULD NOT do it, then you have an easy way out. But if you want to work something out with the guy, I personally dont see anything wrong. He is taking the chance.

kh

Garymd,

Sorry to hear your troubles.Don't forget,Japan then Taiwan helped put people like Saul out of business in the first place.Here's your chance to really level the playing field in a small way."Sell Statedside" It's the Patriotic thing to do!!9.gif9.gif

The Troll

Underevaluating the paid price value for used stuff is of no consequence for the seller. Nobody can prove that you sold the the item $500 and not $45!. The seller is not at risk in anytime. What is important is to make sure the buyer undertsand that it is HIS risk in case of the package is lost, broken, etc. Which they totally understand in 99.99% of the time.

This being said I respect the decision of a salesman not to underevaluate. Therefore I would not ask to undervaluate if I would have bid on an item stating that the seller WON'T underevaluate.

But the dreaded "will ship to USA only" on 90% of the items on eBay piss me off to an extent you can't even imagine.

What happens if it falls out of the airplane and he never receives the item? If the seller wants recourse and the item is only insured for $85, what happens then?

Aren't I also committing fraud by doing this? Please enlighten me. I did state specifically that I wouldn't undervalue. Personally, I could care less if he doesn't want to pay his countries taxes. I just don't want ANY risk on my end.

----------------

On 3/7/2004 5:45:11 PM analogman wrote:

Garymd,

Sorry to hear your troubles.Don't forget,Japan then Taiwan helped put people like Saul out of business in the first place.Here's your chance to really level the playing field in a small way."Sell Statedside" It's the Patriotic thing to do!!
9.gif9.gif

The Troll

----------------

Analogman,

I can never tell if you're serious or not.

There's also a big difference between undervaluing to your friend in Canada versus a stranger in Taiwan.