Tube amp question.

Johnny dB

John,

To be safe you should buy a load resistor to mount across the speaker 0 and 8 ohm taps. It should be 8 Ohms 25 watts although you might get away with 5 watts as long as your not sending any signal to the channel. Anything to present a load to the output transformer is a good Idea.

Craig

Yesterday we were doing some side to side amp comparing, and was running just the right side of my amp.

Same with the other amp.

Both left sides of both amps were unloaded, no input, no load.

I asked if it's a wise thing to run the amps with one side

unloaded. He told me as long as there is no oscillation with the amps, it's not a problem at all.

Now these were SET amps, so I have no clue with PP circuits. Though I've done it with PP amps, it was only for a couple minutes at most.

We ran my amp for a couple of hours with one side unloaded, and the amp is going now with both sides.

"Welcome to my Nightmare" in glorious stereo.

I dunno man.......

----------------

On 3/14/2004 6:29:03 PM Ryan C. Inman wrote:

No, it is not safe to run just one channel.

To get more power and less distortion from the channel you will be using, connect a 60 Ohm 10W resistor to the channel that is not in use. The resistor will keep a steady load on the channel not in use, and won't need to dissipate full power.

It is not advisable to pull the tubes not in use, as they load the power supply. If you remove the load, the PS voltage will increase and possibly damage the filter capacitors.

-Ryan

----------------

Well I just got back from R.shack. All they had was a 50 ohm 10W $1.69 pr., will that work? Or should I just go downtown to Parts Express and get these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=019-020

----------------

On 3/15/2004 3:34:25 PM mdeneen wrote:

If I read your opening post correctly, you are NOT putting an input signal into the channel not connected to a speaker, right? So, you really don't need anything on the output tap. Leave the tubes in, connect one RCA to say, "A" channel input, connect one speaker to "A" channel output and you are done.

mdeneen

----------------

Would this same logic and procedure apply if one wanted to use a tube receiver as as an AM/FM source only. There would be not source inputs connected to the receiver, the only connection would an output to seperate preamp & amplifier.

Would this subject the receiver to potential harm?

----------------

On 3/15/2004 3:34:25 PM mdeneen wrote:

If I read your opening post correctly, you are NOT putting an input signal into the channel not connected to a speaker, right? So, you really don't need anything on the output tap. Leave the tubes in, connect one RCA to say, "A" channel input, connect one speaker to "A" channel output and you are done.

As for oscillations - this is generally going to be an issue with PP amps that have a lot of NFB and you run a signal into them with no load at all on the OPT. With no signal, nothing much happens with any layout.

mdeneen

----------------

Thanks Mark! That's what I wanted to hear!9.gif

----------------

On 3/14/2004 11:46:02 PM tubinhard wrote:

Is this from an electronic engineer's standpoint, or an electrical engineer's? Which degree are you utilizing here?

----------------

How does this add to the subject?

This is the type of behavior that needs to be stopped on the BB...it is intended to start more trouble IMHO.

Craig, Ryan, and Mark are able to advise quite nicely!

"No. Assuming you are just grabbing the "tape out" jack off the rec'vr and plugging that into the preamp, you are done. Turn the volume control on the rec'vr to zero (off). turn the selector switch to Am or FM, and don't worry about it. I've done this myself using Fisher rec'vrs as FM tuners."

Mark,

Yea, I want to connect my Fisher to a CJ Preamp, and that to a pair Laurel's to power my downstairs Cornwalls. Your clarification will allow me to have AM/FM through the CJ and not harm the Fisher, plus continue to use those 300B's.

Many Thanks!!

Wes

"50 Ohms would be just fine, the important thing is that you have a load on the output. Since the gain will be used for the other channel, any amplified pops, sizzles, spikes, noise, etc can damage the other channel if it doesn't have a load connected. These factors can occur at any time, and without the load, there is a possibility of damage resulting.

-Ryan"

OK let me get this right. I'm getting mixed signals here!15.gif

Do I:

A. not hook up a patch cord to the R ch and not use the R ch.? no harm done?

or B. Use the RS resistors?

Ryan, do I just connect the resistor between the - and + ?

The problem is when you have signal going into the amplifier. In the case of a stereo amp, which would have separate OPTs for each channel, only one OPT would be receiving an input signal. As long as THAT particular side sees a load (voice coil), it's fine. The other side without an input signal would just be in idle, and from my experience shouldn't need a resistive load across the outputs. If you do have a signal to BOTH right and left sides, then absolutely put a resistor across the outputs that doesn't have a speaker connected to it. It's possible to do serious damage to the transformer if a signal is being sent through without a load connected on the output.

edit: Ryan said: The only way I would run this amplifier without a load on the unused channel is if the amp had separate gain or volume controls, which would be set to minimum. Damage is not likely to occur with this setup.

Hey Ryan, this certainly sounds like a good point. I'm just wondering, though: Even a stereo volume control is basically two mono potentiometers connected to a common shaft. If there were only a single input going into the amp, that means that only one of those sections of the control would be getting a signal. This might imply that the amplifier also has a balance control, which could then be turned to one side so that it's dedicated to the single channel being used. It might not be a bad idea to also use a shorting jack on the unused input.

Johnny

Just curious

Why do you want to run only one channel of the AQ ?

If you want to use it to power a centre channel there are simple and inexpensive plans available here on the forum for a circuit designed by PWK himself that creates a derived centre out from a pair of mono ( or a stereo ) amp(s).

If you wish to use the AQ to power a subwoofer the same applies but frankly with SS plate amps of higher power being available for about 1/10th the price of an AQ1003 using the AQ for that purpose seems to be a waste.

Erik

"If there were only a single input going into the amp, that means that only one of those sections of the control would be getting a signal. This might imply that the amplifier also has a balance control, which could then be turned to one side so that it's dedicated to the single channel being used. "

Your suggestion makes sense but the ASL AQ1003DT has no balance control.

Hi, Lynn:

Thanks for letting me know -- sometimes I don't know if I make sense, or not!1.gif I was just sort of thinking out loud about this, but what Ryan is saying about experiencing problems just from noises and pops (like a dirty control or switch, maybe?)makes sense. He works on this stuff, as do both Mark and Craig, lots more than I!

edit: I'm not familiar with the amp in question, but what about the idea of bridging the inputs and outputs for monoblock operation? Check with your owner's manual (my disclaimer!1.gif) to see if it says anything about this. It's easy to do externally: just connect a jumper between the two positive speaker binding posts, and use a Y jack on both inputs. The common (neg) on the speaker outputs should already have a common chassis ground. By doing this, you get the benefit of perhaps more balanced response, extra power (which may or may not be important), and a load on both channels. Check your owner's manual first, though -- that is if you happen to have one.

Once bridged, you can use either pair of binding posts to drive the single connected speaker.

• Klipsch Employees

tubinhard

Cool Newbie

Total Posts: 46

Last Post: 3/14/2004

" Is this from an electronic engineer's standpoint, or an electrical engineer's? Which degree are you utilizing here?"

This is the kind of post we want to stop. It will be deleted and you are ask not to post questions like this again...

This is a hard one for me but I'm from the "better safe then sorry camp" so I would have to agree with Ryan and say run the resistor for safety sake. However I don't understand why if a amp had separate volume controls it would change the need to use a resistor. Spikes and weird circuit noises have nothing to do with the volume control unless they happen before the control in the circuit which would always leave at least one tube to create the spike that supposedly could damage the OT.

Also I think this is all splitting hairs minor instantaneous noises in the circuit are not going to take out or damage a healthy OT the noise would have to be constant and of high gain to really damage a healthy transformer. But like I said better safe then sorry.

Craig

Lynn,

I'm using one ch. of the ASL for the center output of an SACD player. This is just temporary until I get a Scott 99 from Craig. I'm using a 299A on the Khorns, a 299B on Heresy rears, and the ASL on the Heresy center. I've been really enjoying this setup for both music and movies so far! 9.gif