Cornwall Rebuild Project Pics!!!

jorjen

These started out as really beat up 1981 COL with cane grilles. Cabinets have been repaired/filled and veneered in beautiful flat-cut Cherry. All black surfaces have been stripped, filled, sanded and repainted better than factory. The inside of the cabinets have been painted also so you do not see raw wood through the ports with the grilles off. New grilles using OEM fabric from Klipsch. New cabinet(internal)damping material, new internal wiring and ALK Networks(built by me). I replaced the suggested resistors with Mills and replaced the Solen caps in the Squawker and tweeter circuits with conditioned(by me, thanks Leo)AudioCap PPT Thetas. All new internal wiring. The tags on the back of the cabinet were scratched, torn/scuffed, etc., so I carefully sliced them off the backs, scanned them into my PC, restored them to better than new and reprinted them on identical size sticky back paper and reapplied. I will keep originals of course. Should be much better than new if that is possible. I will post more pics as they become available. Oh, this is my first attempt at posting pics, if they are too big or anything, please let me know.

post-9114-13819253396154_thumb.jpg

Digitally restored labels applied and Cardas binding posts installed.

I originally intended to aniline dye these in Dark Wine Red with black OEM/Klipsch cloth to match the Cherry and Mahogany furniture already in the room in which the Corns WERE to reside. But since I scored a beautiful set of KB-WL's this weekend(yeah baaaaby!!!!)and cannot keep the Corns when complete, I am thinking of using Tung Oil only which turns the Cherry a beautiful golden color with brown grain and using OEM/Klipsch brown cloth to bring out the grain....man they will look sweeeet. Then at some point(when completed)offer them up here on the board to whomever may like them. Let me qualify that last statement though. I WILL NOT sell these Corns before Fini finds a home for his beauties. These will not be ready for some time anyway.

post-9114-13819253427614_thumb.jpg

Dean,

Can you imagine trying to stack the woofer circuit with Thetas on this size board, YIKES! What happened was I had already completed the networks using all Solen caps when I decided to change to AudioCap. Well, after all the time it takes to do a decent job on ALK's, I was not about to strip them and build bigger boards and start over. Rack 'em and stack 'em baby! 2.gif.

Jorgen, dude, you are an artist..... rock on.

Brad

----------------

On 3/14/2004 8:20:38 PM jorjen wrote:

Digitally restored labels applied and Cardas binding posts installed.

I originally intended to aniline dye these in Dark Wine Red with black OEM/Klipsch cloth to match the Cherry and Mahogany furniture already in the room in which the Corns WERE to reside. But since I scored a beautiful set of KB-WL's this weekend(yeah baaaaby!!!!)and cannot keep the Corns when complete, I am thinking of using Tung Oil only which turns the Cherry a beautiful golden color with brown grain and using OEM/Klipsch brown cloth to bring out the grain....man they will look sweeeet. Then at some point(when completed)offer them up here on the board to whomever may like them. Let me qualify that last statement though. I WILL NOT sell these Corns before Fini finds a home for his beauties. These will not be ready for some time anyway.

----------------