The worst good record

joshnich

I vote for Van Morrisons Moondance. I love the record but the recording s**ks. I have three different vinyl issues-the original in mint condition, a Super Disk half speed pressing and a German issue in heavy virgin vinyl. Overkill yes. But I was looking to hear one of my favs from the recent past on my current system. I have to say the music still stands up (although his masterpiece is still Astral Weeks) but the fidelity is flat flat flat.

Any other quality music that we should be weary of the fidelity?

Josh

Yeah, "Moondance" pretty much sucks but is heaven compared to "Who's Next." That has to be the worst recorded great lp of all time.

BTW - Moondance is one of my all-time favorite lps. The cd version is significantly better but still not great. "Into The Mystic" may be the all-time best song never to be a hit.

Here's a pair. Saliva - Back Into Your System, and Saliva - Every Six Seconds. Two excellent rock works, both recordings suck! They are way over compressed, thin, bright, brittle, just plain horrible recordings. The engineers butchered a good band otherwise. Many of my old country recordings from the late 60's far surpass these.

Brad

----------------

On 3/16/2004 11:44:00 PM garymd wrote:

BTW - Moondance is one of my all-time favorite lps. The cd version is significantly better but still not great. "Into The Mystic" may be the all-time best song never to be a hit.

----------------

Ah, YES - Into The Mystic! I first became familiar with that song when it was used in some movie I watched a long time ago. I liked it so much from that one exposure that I sought out the album it was on. It is definitely one of my favorite single tracks of all time. it even has a great title! Those horn parts are glorious, as is Van's performance.

Sound-wise, my CD really is not bad sounding either. I'd give it about a 6 for sound. (out of 10)

As for my nomination for "great music / lousy sound, how about the first releases of Elvis Costello's "My Aim Is True"? The LP and the first CD release both were pretty low-fi.

Joni Mitchell's "Court and Spark." Her high notes on "Car on a Hill" on original lp, 1/2 speed mastered lp and CD have been known to chase dogs from the yard. Apparently the engineer didn't know what it meant when the needles on the vu meters disappeared to the right. Why they let Ms. Mitchell out of the studio without a retake is anybody's guess.

The lp of Peter Paul & Mary's "Album" (not "Album 1700") "Hurry Sundown" is the working definition of inner groove distortion. Happily for me, the cd doesn't have this problem.

Any number of Columbia classical albums from the 1970's. No real highs, lots of compression, soggy lows and old truck tires ground up and mixed in the vinyl. 7.gif

I'm generally disappointed with the sonics on Todd Rundgren's albums, but I love the music. Seems strange, with Todd being such a techno-geek, that he didn't work things out a little better.

----------------

On 3/17/2004 11:46:53 AM CaptnBob wrote:

Joni Mitchell's "Court and Spark." Her high notes on "Car on a Hill" on original lp, 1/2 speed mastered lp and CD have been known to chase dogs from the yard. Apparently the engineer didn't know what it meant when the needles on the vu meters disappeared to the right. Why they let Ms. Mitchell out of the studio without a retake is anybody's guess.

----------------

Actually, the engineer, Henry Lewy, is *not* to blame. He insists that the multi-tracks do *not* have that horrendously distorted part. Something must have gone wrong when the master was made. Why on earth the master was approved, who knows.

----------------

On 3/16/2004 11:44:00 PM garymd wrote:

"Into The Mystic" may be the all-time best song never to be a hit.

----------------

That is a killer song...one fo my favorites.....

Been in a few movies too....heard it last night during the wedding dance scene in AMERICAN WEDDING...and it is also in a movie that I forget name of....the one with Jason Robards who kinda gets stuck in a dream world of a teens body....or something...I think it was Dream A Little Dream or something...but that song made the movie...IMO

I also got hooked on Into The Mystic from a movie. It starred James Woods who played the husband role when a couple was adopting a pregnant teenager's baby. The teen who's name I cannot remember was playing it on their stereo when they came home one evening. Said her parents listened to that music while she was growing up. I think the couple took in the teen until the baby was born. Sound familiar?

----------------

On 3/17/2004 2:25:26 PM garymd wrote:

I also got hooked on Into The Mystic from a movie. It starred James Woods who played the husband role when a couple was adopting a pregnant teenager's baby. The teen who's name I cannot remember was playing it on their stereo when they came home one evening. Said her parents listened to that music while she was growing up. I think the couple took in the teen until the baby was born. Sound familiar?

----------------

Yeah.....Glenn close was wife...I think

and that blonde girl ...ah whats her name was the teen....she was in Benny and Joon...Argggggggggggg..someone fill in her name....

As for my nomination for "great music / lousy sound, how about the first releases of Elvis Costello's "My Aim Is True"? The LP and the first CD release both were pretty low-fi.

----------------

What a coincidence. I was listening to Moondance when I posted this, and put the My Aim is True on right afterwards. I was starting to think that I needed a new stylus!

Josh

After Garymd stole my best worst "Who's Next". I'll comment on this:

"Any Rolling Stones album....? Just from what my uncle always says so I dunno, just throwing it out there...most likely their older stuff."

Get a copy of "Let It Bleed". That LP is one of the best produced albums ever! Some of the Stone's LPs didn't make the mark though like "Stickey Fingers".

I'm suprised that I am not the only Van Morrison fan here! His "Jackie Wilson Said" and "Saint Dominics Review" were two of the songs I auditioned my Khorns with in '77. I'll admit to having about a dozen Neil Diamond LPs too.15.gif

Rick

----------------

On 3/17/2004 4:13:56 PM 3dzapper wrote:

After Garymd stole my best worst "Who's Next". I'll comment on this:

"Any Rolling Stones album....? Just from what my uncle always says so I dunno, just throwing it out there...most likely their older stuff."

Get a copy of "Let It Bleed". That LP is one of the best produced albums ever! Some of the Stone's LPs didn't make the mark though like "Stickey Fingers".

I'm suprised that I am not the only Van Morrison fan here! His "Jackie Wilson Said" and "Saint Dominics Review" were two of the songs I auditioned my Khorns with in '77. I'll admit to having about a dozen Neil Diamond LPs too.
15.gif

Rick

----------------

Rick,

What do you think of his new lp, "What's Wrong With This Picture?" It's on Blue Note. Great recording BTW. I've yet to hear a bad Van lp (content-wise). My son's best friend's mother is Van's cousin. Says he's a real A-hole. Won't have anything to do with his family. I've met them and they're really nice people too.