Would YOU have paid $450 for THESE?

gullahisland

Hey guys,

I just picked up a pair of Heresy IIs to see what they're all about. Take a look at the picture and you'll see that they're in (dare I say it) "mint" condition. The seller included the tilted riser bases as well as one extra 12" woofer and an extra crossover.

Unfortunately, they don't quite work in my listening space. The room is just too big and, while these little guys sound great, it looks like I'm going to need something a little bigger.

So...Did I pay too much? Anyone interested in these? I've seen them sell on Ebay for more than this and very few of them are in this kind of condition.

I'd really prefer not to ship these guys, so if you're in Northern California and have the need for a pair of Heresy IIs lemme' know. I'll keep this in the "forum" until Friday and then list them in the usual places.

Thanks guys!

post-14706-13819253567484_thumb.jpg

Me again. One more thing....

I looked at a pair of LaScalas this weekend. The seller had told me that the cabinets were "rough", but I thought I'd take a peek anyway and see what exactly that meant. After all, some like it rough!

Anyway, they were indeed pretty beat up with gouges and chips in the plywood as well as some deepish scratches.

My question is this. If I were to try to veneer them, would I have to fill in the gouges with wood putty? How much of a project is this? They sounded terrific, just looked kinda' bad.

Finally - how much would you pay for a pair of LaScalas in this condition. He was asking $700. That seems pretty steep to me considering the amount of work that would need to go into them. If I offered $500, would that be a good deal?

Sorry for all the questions. I just know that you guys are a wealth of knowledge and would like to learn your opinions.

Best,

Dan

I would guess that the guts alone in working condition are worth about $500 bucks or so.

To veneer the cabs, you would have to fill in the gouges with wood putty, as thin veneer will "follow" the mounting surface. Shiny finishes will then reflect the imperfections of the surface and look like dimples or such. A dull finish may look ok.

DM

"My question is this. If I were to try to veneer them, would I have to fill in the gouges with wood putty? How much of a project is this?"

Dan,

Yes you will have to fill in the gouges and sand them smooth but that is no big deal with a good power sander. I have a little Dewalt unit that works very well on this type of project. The only problem with veneering Lascalas is getting into the bass units. I would make grills for the fronts and veneer the top,bottom and sides if i were to do them.

$450 was a fair price for those Heresys. Did you try them on those speaker stands I see? I find that I have to raose the fronts of my heresys four inches and toe them in at about a thirty to thirty five degree angle to achieve a good sound in my 14x 25' room with about 14' between them. At those dimensions the sound stage is centered between the speakers at a height of 4 feet (center of TV screen when used in HT). With the SW-15 subwoofer set at 60Hz those "little" suckers sound almost as good as the Khorns!1.gif

Rick

Edit: I forgot to mention that my '84 Heresys are modded with: K-700 horns with K55v drivers; rope caulk on tweets squakers and woofer basket; rewired woofer and tweeter;and dacron stuffing. I ordered some asphalt dampening sheets from Parts Express but it was back ordered so I will damp the back panel at a later date.

I bought a pair just like you are talking about for $500.

They play great, but the cabinets are in rough shape.

I would offer him $450 and not go over $550.

For a couple of hundred more you can get a not so rough pair and not worry about refinishing.

Danny

Thanks guys,

DB - I think you're right about the offer. Anything over $550 makes them less of a relative "bargain".

As for putting the Heresys on stands, I did not try it because I figured the bass (which is already a bit shy) would diminish entirely.

GREAT idea about building grills for the fronts of the LaScalas. That was one of my concerns about trying to veneer them. It would be my first time attempting such a project and that would be pretty tricky.

Fini - Your Corns are truly beautiful, I just have myself set on a fully hornloaded speaker.

On another side note, I saw my first pair of K-horns in person this weekend. They're friggen HUGE. I was very surprised by how large and imposing they are. Ironically though, they take up a lot less space than the Belles that are stil gracing my living room. HornEd - Any prognosis on when you might want these? Not that I'm complaining. I sure do enjoy them. 9.gif3.gif6.gif2.gif

Best,

Dan

Dan,

I would certainly consider Rick's suggestion of a Heresy/sub combo. I have compared such a setup with a LaScala/sub combo in a friend's place and there wasn't much (if any) difference. Unless you are curious to try something new, I'd really bear this option in mind!

Wolfram