Mcintosh Tuners

I'm looking for recommendations on McIntosh tuners. I occasionally listen to FM and rarely to AM but I want a quality older tuner to complete my transition to McIntosh separates.

I'm currently considering either the MR 74 or the MR 77...both seem to be priced competitively on ebay.

Any thoughts are appreciated...charles

Charles - I can't recall the specifics, but I think I recently saw a Mac tuner at my favorite local (Phoenix) used audio store. They may be happy to ship. Call either Steve or Richard at Audio Alternative, (602) 957-1332. They are a reputable outfit, and I've bought several Klipsch speakers and some other components from them.

Doug

You might also want to try Audio Classics in Vestal, NY. http://www.audioclassics.com . I just bought a C33 for $1,200 from them and this thing is immaculate and sounds great! Maybe someday a MC2255 to go with it.

------------------

Tom

Monster Power HTS-5000 coming July 5th!

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough boxes for a fire hazard!

Charles,

I have a McIntosh MR78 tuner. It has switchable selectivity between 3 bandwidths. The widest is good only for local stuff. Most anyhting else will not triger the stereo circuits unless you are on the middle width position. The MR77 ONLY HAS THE WIDEST bandwidth of the 78. I wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole! If you notice, you don't see MR77s very often. I bet they didn't sell many of them. I would ask somebody at Audio Classics about that and see if they agree though.

I think your are ok with the MR74. I recomend the 78 except for the reed-relay muting circuit. I never use it. It's slow and often can't make up it's mind on a week signal. Its poping on and off will drive you nuts!

AL K.

Hi everybody,

I certainly respect your collected expertise, but I think you are a bit unfair on the 77. There is quite an interesting review on audioreview.com that compares the 77 and the 78. I have mailed the person directly and it turns out that he seems to know a LOT about Mc gear. I haven't heard the 78, but I am quite pleased with the 77. As to tube tuners, well they might be superior in sound, but if you are not a technician able to service it, you can end up in a mess (as I am with a Dynaco tuner I bought via ebay). So I suggest that the 77 shouldn't be ruled out that quickly.

Thanks for reading this message and please excuse any faulty English.

Wolfram

Charles,

I also have a MR-78 and I love it. I have been told that the phono section is one of the best Mac ever made (although I don't have a TT or albums at this pointcwm20.gif ).

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 07-05-2001 at 02:37 PM

Charles,

I have owned both the MR71 and the MR67 MAC tuners and I found the MR67 was a better sounding tuner. You might also consider reviewing the issue of Vacuum Tube Valley which did a tuner shootout. I Charlie Kittelson opinion he votes for the granddaddy of tuners the Marantz 10b as the best. He rates the MR67 very good.

Mark F

Mark,

I did a side-by-side comparison between my fathers Marantz 10B and a Mac MR71 when I got out of the Air-Force. The Marantz was more sensitive on weak stations. The best thing about the MR71 was the "IF injected muting". It works so well that there was just no noise. It was fast and linear. It would fade in slowly as a signal went down into the noise. I wish the MR78 had that!

Anyhow, I kept my Fathers Marantz when he died and sold the MR71.

Al K.

There's a 10-B for sale on Ebay right now. Looks very clean in a nice walnut cabinet. Only $3,250 (Buy it Now!) Smile.gif

------------------

Denon AVR-4800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

• 5 years later...

I am sure those folks will appreciate the advice...despite the fact that the thread is 6 years old!

Ooops, did not see that little fact. A mistake I am willing to live with. I did respond with useful information within the confines of the thread...no matter how old and rotted the thread actually is, and I am chuckling at my own stupidity. You, however, responded with sarcasm and malice and I'm sorry if this wadded your panties.

There's a 10-B for sale on Ebay right now. Looks very clean in a nice walnut cabinet. Only $3,250 (Buy it Now!) Smile.gif

------------------

Denon AVR-4800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Oh, oh, man I gotta go after this one. I hope it's hasn't ended yet.