Record industry is doomed by freeloaders...

formica

3) DVDA and SACD were released to spur sales once again, but don't have enough superiority to the CD to have all the boomers repurchase their collection a third time... (they have succeeded on a small scale, as how many have DSOTM on all three formats?)

----------------

This I have to disagree with. There are a number of DVDa and sacds that I have that blow away anything on a cd. The only way I obtain CDs is when BMG has a 3 for one. SACDs and DVDas make up for roughly 95% of my music listening.

The initial releases of both were questionable. The more recent ones are fantastic.

DSOTM Record, cassette, cd, sacd, gold cd

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boo Hoo

I am so0 worried about a few talentless so called artists losing their fat paychecks,I am petrified and worried about these clowns.

99.9% of so called pop artists should be on welfare or foodstamps,that is how much talent they have.Remove the looks of most female pop stars and what have you got? What have you got? NOTHING

Do you seriouslythink people will continue paying for NOTHING?

talented artists I buy their CD's,no talents get not even one dime from me.As far as I care they could sleep in the streets.

The RIAA, fortunately, doesn't control all 'studies' regarding file sharing

Here's an article that just appeared on Yahoo News in the last day -

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/washpost/20040330/tc_washpost/a34300_2004mar29

This study estimated a 'whopping' 1 CD sale lost for every FIVE THOUSAND shared files! I know that personally, I have bought DVD's of movies that I downloaded first that I probably never would have bought had I not the chance to 'audition' them via Kazaa - (K-19, Signs, the 2002 Solaris for example)

Its all over the news today in Canada ... check out the CBC link to the Canadian Music swapping lawsuit rejected by the courts as well as the same story on Canoe

File swappers in Canada can rest easy for the moment after a Federal Court ruling Wednesday said uploading music files into shared folders on peer-to-peer networks like Kazaa is legal.

Justice Konrad von Finckenstein's decision throws a wrench into plans by the music industry to sue people who share songs over the Internet. Unlike similar cases in the United States, he said the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA) didn't prove there was copyright infringement by 29 so-called music uploaders.

The ruling follows a recent decision by the Copyright Board of Canada that downloading music in this country is legal. 10.gif

Rob

lancestorm:

Whoa! I'm not sure if you are trying to suggest that, based on my views, I am living in the stone age, or that my taste in music implies that I am deaf, or that Queens of the stone age: 'Songs for the deaf' is actually worth a listen? 9.gif That's the first time I've heard of the group. Are they pretty good for real?

Audible Nectar:

You commented: "Crappy, lowest common denominator music rules the day. This is not a "generational" issue."

I just wanted to clarify with you that it was not my intention to make this either a generational, nor music genre issue. I believe the problems exist for all ages and all musical tastes. My mention of my age was the easiest way I know to illustrate that I have been buying (and enjoying) music for many years. I hope I did not trip you up with my enormous post (sorry).

I tend to agree with what you said including about the RIAA. Let us not forget ASCAP and BMI as well. Yes, this is a new era. I actually believe that the music companies should consider direct marketing to the customer via downloading services, for both music and movies. That will be happening sooner than we think with the Internet-2 (superspeed internet) just over the horizon. However, if the music industry does decide to go this new route, it is my hope that the files are of at least CD-quality rather than MP3 compressed files. Also, the full album price had better be far less than the going rate for a store-bought CD, now that the actual plastic CD, the delivery costs and the middleman have been taken out of the picture! (Apologies to music & video store owners.) Blame it on "PROGRESS"!

-Picky 2.gif

I'll second that, Queens of the Stone Age rock, and they are also made up of guys from the early 90s hey-day of rock. Dave Grohl, most of Kryss and I think a guy from Soundgarden. Saw them in concert with Red Hot Chili Peppers and they were tremendous. As were the RHCP.

I'll plug Dave Grohl (ex-Nirvana) again, since he's now my favorite "practicing" artist. He did a Heavy Metal tribute of sorts with a band called Probot on which he wrote all the songs and played all the instruments, but recruited singers from bands like Motorhead (Lemmy of course), Corrosion of Confomity and a bunch of other really hardcore metal bands. The music is tremendous for this genre since Grohl is doing all the hard work, and if you;ve listened to the Foo Fighters over the years, you'll know that Grohl has become an outstanding songwriter and has always been one of the best drummers on earth.

So much for my plug. :)

Radiohead is another outstanding band putting out music these days. RHCP are still solid. Bowie's Heathen was terrific, his best release probably since Station to Station.

Today's television commercials are filled with yesterday's music because Madison Avenue (in their infinite wisdom) thinks the boomers (by their sheer numbers) are the only ones with any money.

----------------

On 4/2/2004 8:36:06 AM picky-picky wrote:

Today's television commercials are filled with yesterday's music because Madison Avenue (in their infinite wisdom) thinks the boomers (by their sheer numbers) are the only ones with any money.

----------------

That's the truth.

"Meet the new boss......same as the old boss."

"I just wanted to clarify with you that it was not my intention to make this either a generational, nor music genre issue. I believe the problems exist for all ages and all musical tastes. My mention of my age was the easiest way I know to illustrate that I have been buying (and enjoying) music for many years. I hope I did not trip you up with my enormous post (sorry)."

No problem!

The reason I mentioned this is as follows: I have expressed the opinion to some (as above) about the decline of the music industry. I have occasionally been met with the "you're just getting older and you can't relate to the new stuff anymore - it's just generational" argument. I specifically mentioned the generational issue for my part because I don't fit the norm demographically - I am very likely to be amongst the oldest in the room when many bands I enjoy take the stage. I consider myself to be a regular consumer of music, it's just that I don't always spend my "music money" where the RIAA expects me to.

And yes, this is a problem across all genres.

Audible:

I could not agree with you more! I absolutely hate being "pidgeon-holed" by somebody else as they try to mentally stuff everyone they meet into their pre-conceived mold of what it is they think you are supposed to be based on your age, gender and ethnicity! PHOOEY! (for lack of a better, off-color-expletive). I guess I must really freak people like that out when I wear my "GERITOL" T-Shirt to Red Hot Chili concerts! HE-HEEEE! 11.gif

-Picky 2.gif

----------------

On 4/2/2004 9:05:08 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

No problem!

The reason I mentioned this is as follows: I have expressed the opinion to some (as above) about the decline of the music industry. I have occasionally been met with the "you're just getting older and you can't relate to the new stuff anymore - it's just generational" argument. I specifically mentioned the generational issue for my part because I don't fit the norm demographically - I am very likely to be amongst the oldest in the room when many bands I enjoy take the stage. I consider myself to be a regular consumer of music, it's just that I don't always spend my "music money" where the RIAA expects me to.

And yes, this is a problem across all genres.

----------------

well i'm of the "new generation" and i can attest that 99% of today's music sucks so bad that i even hesitate to call it music 10.gif

as far as "free loading"...i did a term paper last year in college researching music piracy and all that crap expecting the facts to show how it's hurting the industry (but hoping to disprove it). by the time i collected all the facts and numbers, the music had about a 200% increase in music sales since p2p networks became popular (this was relative to the economy which was suffering a rather large slump). another interesting fact is that musicians are recieving about 50% per album less than they originally did and live shows are significantly less frequent. this means that artists are getting paid way less and it's certainly not as attractive as it used to be (unless you get signed on with mtv or any of that other crap pop culture). so it totally makes sense that newer music is getting suckier...it's cuz there's no motivation for the artists. in my research, i came across a few articles where the artists themselves were getting sued for sharing their files over the internet and all sorts of things like that...the artists want their music to get passed around and popular, but the recording companies sue them for doing this. anyways, imma shut up now even though i have a lot to say about this...the RIAA can go screw themselves, sheesh.

----------------

On 4/6/2004 6:01:45 PM DrWho wrote:

anyways, imma shut up now even though i have a lot to say about this...

----------------

Why stop now? It just got interesting. Post that paper. I want to read it.

haha, i just reread my paper and it wasn't as blunt as i remembered it to be (didn't wanna make the prof totally disagree and have it affect my grade) 2.gif

nevertheless, i feel the suggestions that i make for the industry at the end of my paper give a good feel for what can and should be done and ya, im done again 2.gif

EDIT: also, don't be fooled by the numbers talking about "singles" sales...the amount of singles being produced nowadays is probably even lower than the % decrease they like to cry about.

On 4/2/2004 8:36:06 AM picky-picky wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bzzzzzzzzztzzzzz! Wrong answer.

Today's television commercials are filled with yesterday's music because it's music, not noise.