My HTS

DillonW

Well, with the addition of my Velodyne CT150, my HTS is in a reasonable state of completeness. I still would like to get some front effects speakers, and a rear center channel, but as you can see, space is limited. The Wife has been very understanding in allowing my system to reside in her living room. The sub made just a HUGE difference in the "feel" of the system. I love it! Now, just need to get my hands on the last remaining components! Q-Man, after viewing your system...... Your my HERO! I think Khorns would make GREAT front effect speakers, but alas, I think that would certainly be breaching the WAF (who also doubles as the family accountant- that would be two strikes against me!)

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70

Bill, my congrats to you and your snuggle/accountant... a great Klipsch accommodation to the room at hand. The "snuggle" part only functions when the "sound" investments pay "mutual" dividends... and that takes compatible ear sets... too often a rarity in modern marriage. cwm38.gifcwm38.gif Even without the K-horn front effects Bill, you will be the hero of many a male closet Klipsch fancier the world over... and Mrs. Bill, you shall forever reside on the pedestal of their fondest dreams.

As another Yamaha RX-V3000 preferred owner (oft challenged but still my HT standard), I feel your front effects and rear channel pain... more deeply because I know the joy of sonic depth they can bring with your receiver.

In my current HT experiment, I wanted to have the six primary speakers of 6.1 be the same (as soon as my custom motor board is completed, I shall have a KLF 30 center speaker to replace the KLF C-7). I chose to use high-mounted, inverted KLH 10's as front effects after several tests with other Klipsch models. The next best I tried were SB-2's on 6' swivel columns. The best front effects IMHO, are achieved with FE speakers set at about 5dB below the mains... and since their duty is to create an ethereal background sound stage for your LaScalas center stage stardom. Thus, the front effects do not need to be K-horns to do a magnificent job. (Sorry, Q, you know I am an old K-horn fan with the utmost regard for your system... but I prefer front effects that are supportive rather than competitive in this case.) You will find your LaScalas will sound more like K-horns with a proper front effects rig set up with an SPL meter (no matter how good your ear)... now that's cost effective, Madame Accountant.

One of the psychoacoustic joys of the V3000 (that is not currently yours) is hearing 5.1 formatted DVD's in matrixed 6.1 (or 6.1 as 6.1). Again, while I prefer a high quality, full range rear effects speaker at least 10' behind the sweet spot with the horn aimed just above the back of the sweet spot seat back, your room constraints do not allow that. In your case, I would be tempted to mount a single Chorus II near the floor with the speakers half way between the surrounds and pointed toward the ceiling. A less risky ploy might be to add a WDST speaker for the rear effects... mounted on the ceiling adjacent to the back wall. What I am trying to suggest is a curtain of sound against the back wall. You will find that a rear effects speaker adds a decided level of comfort for human beings... and brings out a quality dynamic to films only recently being realized by film sound engineers. Oh, and Madame Accountant, S.V.P., romantic films will be oh so much more romantic! How can mere dollars stand in the way when love (and popcorn) is in the air? cwm38.gifcwm39.gif

cwm35.gif I have seen the future... and it carries a PWK monogram! HornEd

------------------

"A Klipsch Powered HT Where Legends Live!"

Front Sound Stage:

KLF C7 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

Background Sound Stage:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

Large Mouth Bass:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra / Samson 1000 Subwoofer

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall II Music Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-09-2001 at 01:35 AM

Oh Horn-Ed-One,

Thank you for your observations, I did in fact show the post to my esteemed snuggle/accountant. Although she appriciates the improvements in the cinema sound, she does not always share my enthusiasm to the point of increasing budgetary priority levels assigned to equipment upgrades. At each level, and with the addition of each new component, she has noted the continued performance enhancements. However, at each step of the way, she has felt that current performance was "good enough". So in future presentations to her budgetary review board, I need assistance in compiling factual justification to aid in securing funding ahead of other budgetary demands. So, to HornEd and all you other Klipschsters out there, what irrefutable justification can I present to insure funding during these demanding ecconomic times? And what pieces would serve the system best, but must meet one single rule to prevent immidiate application termination- wall mounting- Thank you for your support!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Well here goes Wild Bill and Snuggle/Accountant... I would mount your Chorus II's along the side wall roughly across from your sweet spot... and find a single Chorus II for your rear speaker. Don't fall for the match your rear center to your front center fable... they have entirely different assignments in 6.1 on your already purchased Yamaha RX-V3000.

For a time, I used SB-2 monitors for my Front Effects with KLF 30 mains. They are small enough to be wall mounted and large enough to create a high & wide sound curtain against which your velvety LaScalas will really command center stage... as well they ought!

You are really quite close to a truly wonderful sonic experience... the bulk of which you have already paid!Love is the answer, cwm38.gif the ball is in your court! HornEd

PS: The Q-man is my hero too!

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall II / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-09-2001 at 01:53 AM

Very Nice! DillonW,

Love the Chorus II's for rears, I would like to upgrade to at least Forte II's for rears. I will someday if I can find them close enough to me to pick up. Congrats on the set-up. HornEd all those KLF-30's must envelop you in sound, I like hearing every detail hence the additional mains and rears. Once again, very nice set-up's guys and ditto on the understanding wife my living room is full of speakers. Klipsch On!

------------------

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (LF/RF) (LWE-I's w/Motion Feedback - Walnut)

Yamaha M-80 Auto Class A Amplifier (LF/RF) (Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane Grills)

DBX BX-2 2/3/4 Channel Power Amplifier (RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's (Walnut/Cane) & ESS Mini Monitors (Walnut))

DBX MPA-150 Mono Split Spectrum Amplifier © (KV-4 - Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

Nakamichi MB-10 Music Bank CD Changer

Technics SL-DL5 DDLinear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller (2) (1-LC) (1-RC)

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

BBE - ARS Audio Recovery System

A/D/S L300E Mini Speakers

GE 20" Television

Looking at the system's equipment in the front (TV, speakers, etc.) I do have to ask. What time is it?

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

O-HornEd-One, great to receive comments from the tweakin' master. Your eloquence, and ability to derive romance from a home theater system would lead me to believe that; "The strongest marriage is built around, a tonally balanced Klipsch "surround". What a concept! But wait, I think I read a post or two, that said your Khorns reside with the Ex, not you? Blast! Well, it was a good thought, and isn't that what really counts?

Frzninvt, Doggone this upgrade bug.... If I can get my hands on another pair of LaScalas, we can work a deal on the Chorus IIs.

tblasing, Nice One! You are gifted with the uncanny powers of keen observation! Are you a detective? My wife is an antique nut. Oops, maybe I should rephrase that, "A connoisseur of fine antiquities". While I was introduced to Klipsch during a tour in England, my wife was continually on the great antique hunt. The only clock that we keep running is on the left main LaScala. It is English, made in London around 1810 (wonder how my LaScalas will be kicking when they are that old?). When friends come over, it is really confusing for them. They never know which one to look at. It can be a good thing if things aren't going well and you want them to leave early Smile.gif.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Well done on the system! Looks a beauty and I am sure it packs a punch.

Like you I face a problem justifying expenditure to SWMBO (she who must be obeyed).

Here are a number of tricks you may want to use from time to time:

1. "But darling it barely cost 2 pairs of shoes!"

2. "Its here on approval - if you cant hear the difference I will send it back (you can't hear the difference? Have you had your ears checked lately...)."

3. "I know its expensive but you dont want the neighbours to think we are skimping do you?"

4. Put on her favorite album and ask "Honestly - have you ever heard ABBA sound so good?"

5. "It was either spend the money on this or a call girl. I thought this would last longer."

6. "I spent $200 less on this than I expected. Is there anything you want with the money I saved?"

There are several more - but I am thinking of writing a book of them! LOL

maxg, I have aquired more useful infomation since joining this board, than from all my encounters with "Professional" hi-fi salesman combined. Thanks for sharing your tactical manuvers! The last one looks like a real winner, I just have to work on keeping a strait face, and be sure I actually have the $200, cuz I know I will have to follow through on that offer. Of course... if it gets me more Klipsch speakers.... Hey, I'll let you know how it works out!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank everyone for their inputs, and maxg, I will try your suggestion as soon as I can. Looks like the HTS upgrading is going to have to take an intermission. I got a call from my Uncle Sam, he recons its my turn to go supervise those darn kids playing in the sandbox. Have to make sure they mind their manners and play nice. So, for 90 days starting about mid August, I may be absent from my favorite, newly discovered BB. Instead I will be flying high into the wild blue yonder, and left to go tenting and living the camper's life.

A special thanks to HornEd who has provided very insightful and practical information to an avid Klipsch HT newbie. "May the joy of your Legendary HT system be eKlipsched only in conjunction with your newest hobby - fishing for large mouth bass!"

But... Until then, I'll be around.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Hey Bill,

Watch out for those cats in the sandbox... no telling where their mama's housebreaking techniques may have led! Rolleyes.gif But, as many of us vets on this board know all too well, they need to be well grounded if they are going to keep the airspace AOK.

I second "DougToo's" salute and wish you a speedy return to the wild blue yonder.cwm25.gif Catch you on the flip side... and don't take any wooden bass.

HornEd

love all that dark wood - looks like a muesum - bet things really start to rattle when you play your action movies ...

------------------

big old Cornwalls, 2A3 tube amps, Dynaco tube pre-amp, Rotel CD player, KSW200 & LF10 subs

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. I best the sound is simply awsome in there. Humm maybe if you got a set of Bose you could get some more room (ducking as assorted speaker parts fly past my head). Just kidding of course cwm30.gif

------------------

Main System -

CORNWALLS (circa '79 yippe)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running bridged 800W/4 ohms for sub)

ProMedia 4.1 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's or RF-3's (haven't decided yet)

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

eq_shadimar - Your Bose suggestion might go over real well with my wife. I found another set of LaScalas that I took a shot at suggesting. Unfortunatly that idea was shot down quicker than an Iraqie fighter in the "no-fly" zone. Seems for the moment, matching rear surrounds is deep in the surround sound "No-Fly" zone. Could have had something to do with my idea to hang the Chorus IIs from the ceiling in the front corners of the living room (I do need a pair of front effects speakers after all). I was just trying to do the right thing, you know, save a few bucks by using speakers you already have instead of buying new ones. Sure seemed logical to me. Must be that Mars vs Venus thing! Although I'm quite sure a quality surround system would sound great on any planet.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

quote:

Originally posted by eq_shadimar:

Very nice. I best the sound is simply awsome in there. Humm maybe if you got a set of Bose you could get some more room (ducking as assorted speaker parts fly past my head). Just kidding of course
cwm30.gif

LoL! My parents and the rest of teh family know that that is not a word to be in our vocabulary!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy.

Email Amy

IM Amy

Or pick up that phone and call right now Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

-------------------------

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site!

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm about a month into my camping expedition. I got on a computer wanted to take a look a friendly reminder of my living room and HTS. (Here we have six people per tent and a common area with a big 19" TV to share) Sorry to bring this thread back to the top, but I wanted to make sure I could take a look from time to time at what I have been missing, and get to look forward to again. KLIPSCH ON!!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Nice place,the system is clean.And I bet you never ask anybody around the house the time. LOL

A place where one can relax and enjoy fine music.

And to answer your first question,how could you improve and get aproval.Hmm not easy

The system looks and I am sure sound great as it is.

Maybe a tube amp,oh so sweet with large Klipsch,so mucical she may aprove!

This is until the price is revealed. Frown.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears