F$%KING Snipers!!

gullahisland

Thanks Ed!

I think these are going to be keepers. I'm hoping to get them all dialed in with some nice burled walnut...or maybe cherry...or rosewood....mmm.

I'm also hoping Jorjen will help me with some crossover upgrade recommendations. Or maybe DeanG or one of the other "professional tweakers" can rebuild them for me??

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Jordan! You wasted NO time in getting started on those beauties.

I really like the cherry veneer that you put on your Cornwalls. The cherry that I usually see doesn't have a lot of grain pattern to it and either gets stained too red or too light. Yours are really beautiful.

I'm really quite fond of the black walnut on Ed's Belles. The tops in particular have a gorgeous grain pattern with lots of contrast. That got me looking at walnut veneer samples on the internet. On Ebay I saw a bunch of burled walnut veneer from a guy down in Fresno. I'm thinking that would look GORGEOUS on a pair of K-horns. Most of it looks to be about $60-90 for about a hundred square feet.

As I mentioned, I'm picking them up week after next. My hope is to get started on veneering them shortly after - say by the middle of May.

I have no clue, however, what's involved in prepping them or how many man-hours it will take to complete the job.

If it's alright with you, maybe I can make a trip down to Merced one of these days soon and take a look at your "shop" and pick your brain a little??

I can vouch for Southern Lumber, theyve always had a good selection of rare woods, but pricey.

I remember in 1973 I was living in Saratoga and one night Southern Lumber caught fire. It was a big event, went up on the hill and watched it, big, big fire, could see it all the way across the valley. The whole lumberyard burned completely to the ground. Ohhhhhhhhh, all that nice wood, must have been worth millions.

P.S. If you're buying ebony there, be sure it's really ebony, LOL!

Dan,

Santos Rosewood is what Greg used on his beautiful Khorns, really nice stuff. Nice Brazilian is becoming increasingly more difficult to find in lenghts over about 3 feet or so with any width to it. That makes it kind of difficult to cover the front of a Khorn. Pao Ferro is also very nice, I think Greg is doing his La Scala project with it, nice, nice wood. Lots of beautiful wood out there Dan, I think Walnut would be a fine choice among others. Regarding Cherry, it depends on the cut. I used "Flat Cut" because it has the nicest, most pronounced grain pattern. Other cuts give you a "straighter" more boring grain pattern. So, not only do you have multiple choices of wood but also which cutting method used in production gives you your desired result with that wood.

You are welcome to come down whenever you like for a chat, I would like to meet you. We can talk about xovers too! My garage becomes my shop when I move the wifes Tahoe into the driveway2.gif, but I make it work.

Look forward to talking with you on this project.

Gullah, I tell everyone to get their system dialed in, and then mess with their speakers. I feel PWK knew how to build speakers better than I know how to tinker with them, and I have been able to listen to them for almost a year without turning a screw yet. What type of amp/preamp are you thinking of running, or are you sticking with the Adcom for a while?

You have a great bunch of guys in Cali to help you with the reveneering!

I've got to dig out my old price list. Ed didn't the rosewood just about double the price of a K-horn back then?

The KD-BR was 710;KC-BR $800ea; KB-WO $1094ea;KB-RL(rosewood), KB-TO (teak),KB-OL (oak) and KB-CL(cherry) were $1515ea.

That veneer stuff was for the rich guys, my raw birch sounded the same and I usually did my serious listening with the lights down and my eyes closed unless it was my turn. Now with their beautiful black walnut finish, Let the sun shine in!3.gif

More info BR Corns $415 w/grill$444; C-RL $684

Belles BK WO $880 BK-RL $1261

Lascalas LS-Br $570

HD-BR $261 w/grill $282 H-WO $313 H-RL $400

(all prices per speaker effective 15 Jan.1977)

Rick

----------------

On 4/16/2004 11:14:51 PM garymd wrote:

Full grill for only $7 more on the lascalas. I'm really suprised you don't see more of them fully grilled. Actually it's pretty rare.

----------------

Rare? That's odd...You'd think if it was fully grilled, it would be well done!

Ed - Where's the little face icon that shows drool dripping out of the side of the mouth??

My system is evolving -- I've been trying a bunch of stuff. Not sure where you got the impression that I'm using Adcom. I have a pair of Antique Sound Labs Wave 8 Monos and a VTL 75/75. For preamps I have a Counterpoint SA-1000, Forte Model 2 and a VTL Super Deluxe.

I am trying to work out a trade for a 300B integrated amp. It's a custom design for Sophia. My only hesitation is that it doesn't have a phono stage.

Anyway, all of the above combinations seem to work very well with the Belles, so I'm not too concerned about the mechanics of system matching. I'd be pretty happy with any of the above in any combination.

I am, however, open to suggestions. Can an old Scott really sound as good or better than, say for example, my VTL?

Which of all the various Scotts is the BEST?

----------------

On 4/16/2004 11:37:02 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 4/16/2004 11:32:06 PM gullahisland wrote:

Which of all the various Scotts is the BEST?

----------------

Mine.
9.gif

Fini,

Always fun setting you up. You'd be suprised how often it's done.
2.gif

----------------

Always appreciated, Mr. P!