F$%KING Snipers!!

gullahisland

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/16/2004 11:41:48 PM gullahisland wrote:

So Gary - What made you choose the 299b?

----------------

Wild guess. At the time, it seemed like the one everyone was raving about. Now folks rave about the higher powered 296 or 272 or 299C or D.

I like the unpowered center in the 299b for a powered sub (not that it really needs it). The power output is just fine for my needs at about 17 wpc. Actually, I happened across a really beautiful one on ebay with the original cabinet in almost mint condition. It sounds just amazing after Craig's rebuild. If I had to do it again, I'd do the same thing. I've heard the 222 series has a different sound than the 299s. I'd like to hear one sometime. After a good rebuild, I think it's only cosmetics. They really do sound amazing considering they weren't what you'd call audiophile amps in their day. If you get a chance, audition one that's already been beefed up by Craig. You'll be floored by the detail they provide.

Edit: The 299b is a 23 wpc, the 299a is 17.

Gullah, I'm still in the throes of an allergy episode, and everything gets jumbled together in my eggbeater. I think a correct thumbrule is any Scoot integrated with a "C" designator is a passive summed center channel, and the "D" means a powered center channel. They are different flavors of ice cream, with the wpc and the output tubes being the significant difference.

One of the best ways to get a good Scott is to watch the forum, as most members will sell what they are currently using when the upgrade bug hits. Craig has a few for sale (or did have,) so touch base there as well. A lot of these amps are like any fourty year old car that has been sitting for ten years. You can kick the tires and start the car in the lot, but until it has been thoroughly sorted and refurbished, it's like throwing your family in the Ford Falcon and driving to St. Louis on a whim. Who knows where the car will decide to stop...

Three newbies that have recent Scotts are Taylor here in the Lou, John White, and Georg(who upgraded and sold his to his bro.) The WAF is pretty high, if that comes into play10.gif

----------------

On 4/17/2004 12:01:32 AM garymd wrote:

Klipschfoot,

Actually, I'll be home all day doing audio related activities while the wife is in training.

----------------

Gary,

Can you post information on that "wife training?" Mine's starting to complain about all this audio gear again. I think she'll need a refresher.

• 3 weeks later...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 4/12/2004 at 9:33:54 Chuckears wrote:

Nowhere in this process was I dishonest; I admit that I had information that could have turned into a more financially lucrative auction for him, and some might fault me for withholding said information, but as long as both he and I felt that we made out well, I do not feel guilty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Withholding information is still considered a lie. -Dr. Phil 12.gif

----------------

On 5/4/2004 7:05:45 PM 007 wrote:

haha, mcdeath owned you!

916 holla!

McDeath we need to lan it up again! HLE is out

----------------

HUH?

Quite frankly I'm glad to have been "owned" because I just picked up a pair of '77 K-horns for $1,250. I was then made a VERY generous offer from one of the forum members (JorJen) to purchase some high-grade walnut veneer already trimmed out and ready to apply.

Guess whose will be nicer? And I'll STILL have over $700 to put toward upgrading the crossovers or expanding my music collection!!9.gif

Greg, is that a better image of what those rosewood Khorns look like after you finished them? That is not anywhere near as red as the previous pictures. I kinda like the red look.

John

----------------

On 4/12/2004 10:37:20 PM greg928s4 wrote:

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/PWKhorn11.jpg" border="0">

Thanks Rick, just trying it out here to see if it works.

That picture of the Rosewood Khorns really makes them look red, and I think that's one of the main things that makes that picture look so great.

Greg

----------------