TV on a small budget

gtDark

Can I get any suggestions for a small direct-view tv, probably 32"? All I can afford at this time is $1000. Can anyone comment on Tau vs. Wega vs. Samsung? The guys over at AVS like Zenith but I have had no experience with them. Also, I think a 16:9 would be cool, but don't know of any in my price range, so I guess I'm stuck with 4:3. I would love if it was HD-ready too, maybe DVI. Thanks in advance guys, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

----------------

On 4/13/2004 9:30:19 AM TauRus wrote:

You can also add Philips MatchLine series direct view to your list. Personally I had experience with Sony Trinitron tubes and was always happy with them.

---------------

For CRT based TVs, Sony Trinitrons kick ***. I also had a Zenith that was real nice & FWIW I think they're the last brand that's still 'Made in USA'.

peace, mitch

For $1,000 forget the Tau and Wega widescreens. You would need to spend

double that. Sorry to give you this advise but save your thousand

until you can get what you desire. If you neeed something until then

spend $400-$500 on a standard direct view.

"For $1,000 forget the Tau and Wega widescreens. You would need to spend

spend $400-$500 on a standard direct view."

I wholeheartedly agree with this post.

If you attempt to buy anything other than a 4:3 basic TV right now, you will pay dearly for what you get.

A few years back I had a similar issue - I needed a display, but knowing about HD being around the corner, and associated changes that would come with the arrival of HD has me saying

NO

to any HD or expensive displays, until economies of scale take hold on HD products (which will happen once everything goes HD). In two or three years, you will be glad you did.

I would peruse your local paper and find a nice used 32-35" direct view 4:3 set (you will find these CHEAP), and live with it for 3 years. I have a feeling that no matter what you purchase now, you'll find MUCH BETTER size and performance in a display in 3 years.....and spend much less $$$$ in an attempt to find the top of the price/performance curve at that time.

It's like computers were 5 years ago: You buy one, the unit is worth half of what you paid a month later, and units with much better performance hit the market right afterwards. Now that PC's are doing what most people need (processor speed wars aren't so important now, because even the more basic units do almost everything - even video), the pace of changes/improvements are slowing, and the prices are less volatile.

I intend to wait until such phenomena occurs in the HDTV arena, then I'll persue the video display. Anything I buy now will be replaced in 3 years anyway.

----------------

On 4/14/2004 7:32:08 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

"For $1,000 forget the Tau and Wega widescreens. You would need to spend

spend $400-$500 on a standard direct view."

I wholeheartedly agree with this post.

If you attempt to buy anything other than a 4:3 basic TV right now, you will pay dearly for what you get.

A few years back I had a similar issue - I needed a display, but knowing about HD being around the corner, and associated changes that would come with the arrival of HD has me saying

NO

to any HD or expensive displays, until economies of scale take hold on HD products (which will happen once everything goes HD). In two or three years, you will be glad you did.

I would peruse your local paper and find a nice used 32-35" direct view 4:3 set (you will find these CHEAP), and live with it for 3 years. I have a feeling that no matter what you purchase now, you'll find MUCH BETTER size and performance in a display in 3 years.....and spend much less $$$$ in an attempt to find the top of the price/performance curve at that time.

It's like computers were 5 years ago: You buy one, the unit is worth half of what you paid a month later, and units with much better performance hit the market right afterwards. Now that PC's are doing what most people need (processor speed wars aren't so important now, because even the more basic units do almost everything - even video), the pace of changes/improvements are slowing, and the prices are less volatile.

I intend to wait until such phenomena occurs in the HDTV arena, then I'll persue the video display. Anything I buy now will be replaced in 3 years anyway.

----------------

I agree with Audio Nectar 100%. Plus my 2 cents:

Among the current conventional direct view TV's I haven't seen anything (including current Sony's) that beats the picture I'm getting from my 1996 KV27VT5 Trinitron.

I'd like to find a 32' or 36' old Trinitron, but they aren't easy to come by over here in Korea (land of Samsung and LG), and the people that do have them aren't about to give them up!

Makes you think.....

The most recent Sound and Vision magazine has an article about HTDV under $3000. Some are under $1000. Maybe steet prices are lower than they print.

It would be well worth the investment to buy the magazine. It has information on local broadcasters and their line up of HDTV.

It is my thought that you might be being a bit too frugal with the $1000 ceiling because maybe for $500 more you're getting a much better product.

I see that some models are HDTV monitors. This means there is no off the air HDTV tuner. But maybe you can buy the monitor type for now and invest in a set top box later on.

It looks like the recent fall in prices and the extablishment of a budget category is making the decision more difficult than ever. It is for me and I'm kinda itching to buy . . . something.

I could buy a low end set (or a small one) and then eventually move it to the bedroom. OTOH, I can buy something a bit more expensive and plan to make it the main unit for a long time.

Right now I'm waiting to see what happens after next Christmas. New stuff should be out and the prices still lower.

It makes sense to be armed with information in any event. So I suggest you read up on things and be patient.

Gil

Don't listen to these guys' bad advice. I get so mad when I hear people say stupid stuff like "I'm going to wait until...price comes down--It already has, There is more programming--There Already Is. Until they all have built in tuners--That will only give you local channels, Until EVERYTHING is in HD--It May Never Be. Hike up your skirt, quit making excuses and get rid of that piece of $#!+ you call a TV.

For the people saying buy a 4:3 Analog TV, Yeah-- that is Real solid advice. Just Throw away $500 now on a TV because The Good TV that you really want might come down $300-400 "in a couple of years." Smart thinking. Not to mention the fact that an HD set is Totally Worth It. Losers. Ask anyone who has an HDTV if they regret buying it.

I'm happy for the people who are happy with your 27-inch "Trinitron," or whatever, but let's face it, there is nothing impressive about that set. When people come to my house, they always compliment me on my TV, when is the last time anyone has done that for you? I'm sure that 10 years ago it was top of the line, but today you can buy something just like it at Wal-Mart.

Of course I don't really have any strong feelings on the subject. 9.gif

I agree with Todd in this case. Yeah, the prices might be come down over the years but if you dont if you buy a 16x9 HDTV and want to upgrade in a couple of years you can always put the one you just bought in another room. I just bought a 26" 16x9 Samsung HDTV for $600 in January because I didnt see any reason in spending money on something that was going to be obsolete in a few years. You all may disagree, but to me buying 4x3 would be wasting money.

First I want to thank everyone for the replies so far. Now onto business: unfortunately there is no higher budget, there is no waiting, period. I'm moving into an empty house at the end of the month and I need to get something, I could wait maybe a month, maybe, but that's it. I'm also a college student with income only every other semester (alternate study and work semesters), so money is always tight. As of right now I'm looking at a 30" Samsung TXN 16:9 and a Zenith 32" 4:3, both HD-ready. I guess I just have to decide which aspect ratio fits my viewing habits better (4:3 for standard tv, a few video games; 16:9 for HDTV, DVDs). I am more critical of the 16:9 material so I am leaning towards that aspect display. I guess I'll have to look more into the features of the sets, especially how they handle different aspect ratios. Man, you would think looking for a new tv would be fun!

----------------

On 4/15/2004 11:52:19 PM toddvj wrote:

Don't listen to these guys' bad advice. I get so mad when I hear people say stupid stuff like "I'm going to wait until...price comes down--It already has, There is more programming--There Already Is. Until they all have built in tuners--That will only give you local channels, Until EVERYTHING is in HD--It May Never Be. Hike up your skirt, quit making excuses and get rid of that piece of $#!+ you call a TV.

Ok let's take your comments one at a time... Price..do you not think a two years

ago people who spent 10,000 for a 42" plasma is now kicking them selves. Maybe

you are one of them . Programming..what a few channels. Built-in turners only for local channels... try HD cable cards. Until everythng is in HD...I'm sure everything will not be in HD but if you think HD programming has taken off

think again...Let's see in two plus years you have a few channels and select local

primetime. Yes it's been a boom. I will stick by MY advice..if he want's to spend

less than a grand of a HD TV he is going to regret it soon.

Actually, I think that people who spend $3000 dollars today on a 42" Plasma are wasting their money. You can buy a much larger CRT based Rear Projection and have a lot better picture for the same or less money.

Gcoker, You've got a 40" XBR, are you not happy with it? Why would you tell someone not to get a HD set?

About 6 or 7 Years ago, I bought a BASIC JVC 27" TV, open box, no manual for $500 something, and thought I got a good deal and that it was totally worth it. Now you can buy a HD set for about the same money. How much more do you think the price is going to come down?

As far as programming, or lack thereof, I watch HD almost exclusively, and I have HD channels that I hardly ever watch. On a good night I have up to 10 shows I can watch in HD, but you're right, that isn't enough. You're forgetting how much better HD is. Even if I only watched 3-4 hours a week, it would still be totally worth it.

Tod, I'm very happy with my 40" Sony. However, I will admit the vast

majority of my viewing is regular Sat TV. In terms of HD I have

check them out (DirecTV, Dish and Cox Cable) and I'm not impressed with

the lineup. Now I have not checked out VOOM but now that they have comeout

with no money dowm for the system with 30 channels it may be worth a look.

At $750 before I thought it was a waste. But back to the original post,

with a $1,000 dollars I still would get a a standard Direct View in the

300-500 (27"-32")range and begin saving for a HD set. Then in a year or so

he can get a 42" or bigger set. But spending a grand on a 32" HD no way.