Topic for tomorrow's boardroom meeting: the Forum

sheltie dave

Here's another example for you: Tarr Concrete here is Washington, PA. The business was taken over by the owners son, Randy. He went to school with me, and is also 21. On the side of the truck it states over 70 years experience dealing with concrete, yet he's 21. Like mine, it is a family run organization, and we have every right to claim the experience.

==============

Nice try. But simple.

My father in law is a MD. 52 years

My Siter in law is an MD. 19 years

My Daughter is 20 and in Medical school. She is not a doctor.

================

I have 18 years as a Plastics Engineer. My kids all played with Silly Puddy. It does not make them plastics engineers.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Are you expecting anyone to believe that you began repairing Scott amps beginning at age 1."

Paul, I think he began to repair Scott amps before conception.

I was trying to point out his contradiction before in some posts but everyone seems to be on his side and just taking him for granted.

Audio Flynn:

If your daughter starts/joins a medical practice with your father-in-law and your sister-in-law when she first gets her MD, it is safe to advertise the practice as having over 71 (or more) years of experience, it is done every day.

That is not what Ryan said though, he said he had the experience, not the business.

Ryan, Paul, (et al):

The thread was read by many before being removed, it serves no useful purpose to keep bring it up again.

Tom's post with the link to posting guidelines was very on topic! Especially, in this case, the admonition:

Don't insist on the last word.

Some disagreements will result in a draw. Be willing to let a thread end on someone ELSE'S opinion. "Last words" which have no purpose other than to assert that, after all, you're REALLY right will be deleted.

IMHO of course, YMMV, and all that jazz! 2.gif

----------------

On 4/19/2004 7:22:01 PM edster00 wrote:

The thread was read by many before being removed, it serves no useful purpose to keep bring it up again.

----------------

Many read it, yes, but many missed it, and it contained important information.

----------------

On 4/19/2004 7:27:27 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 4/19/2004 7:22:01 PM edster00 wrote:

----------------

Many read it, yes, but many missed it, and it contained important information.

----------------

But it doesn't contain the most important fact.

I think the wording for the family-run business; "over 70 years experience" should stand, but when a new family member takes over said business, he should include his personal tenure in the business seperately, and not include it in the overall time frame.

Case in point: my dad worked for a pipe organ manufacturer here in FL back in the '80s that had been in business for over 25 years. When the owner of this business passed away, the son took over the organ firm. Their advertisments still proclaimed "over 25 years experience in the manufacture of fine tracker pipe organs", but to his own credit, the son also stated he had only 10 years personal experience in the business. No BS there!

Just my two cents worth...

My dad's present business card. He only started his little side business professionally in '99, yet he claims to have over 45 years experience overall in the restoration of tube radios (it's always been his hobby). I see no problem with this...

businesscard_012.jpg

post-11084-1381925409999_thumb.jpg

"My dad's present business card. He only started his little side business professionally in '99, yet he claims to have over 45 years experience overall in the restoration of tube radios (it's always been his hobby). I see no problem with this..."

Yes, but your dad must be in the late 60 or 70. The point is you can't claimed to have 30 years of experience when you're only 21 no matter how you put it, unless you're an unconceived soul 6.gif.

----------------

On 4/19/2004 7:44:37 PM neo33 wrote:

The point is you can't claimed to have 30 years of experience when you're only 21 no matter how you put it, unless you're an unconceived soul
6.gif

----------------

Especially when part of the con involves criticizing someone else for being a relative newbie in the field.

If your daughter starts/joins a medical practice with your father-in-law and your sister-in-law when she first gets her MD, it is safe to advertise the practice as having over 71 (or more) years of experience, it is done every day.

=============

Just because it is safe and done every day does not make a concept truthful.

If you have to create a justification for a concept being truthful, my opinion is; these concepts generallly are not truthful.

+++++++++++++

I am for the unpaid moderator mechanism that is accountable to the webmaster.

Webmaster is too busy with his daily functions to read every post.

I could be a moderator for General, 2 Channel or Analog. Intermittently anebrieted Irishman with 4 kids, 3 dogs, 3 cats who travels internationally makes me unstable enough to qualify as a moderator.

But only as part of a 3-7 person team of moderators. Moderators should have day jobs and outside interests.

Any action should be a consenus of the moderators; validated by the webmaster.

----------------

On 4/19/2004 5:42:57 PM Ryan C. Inman wrote:

"I am a general repairman
, I can fix anything, not just tube amplifiers. I have a great business going here locally that I don't need the internet. I fix guitar amplifier, televisions, everything. You know why I can fix anything?
Education and experience
. In a few years, tubes will be extinct again, and the hype, opinion, and other garbage will fade back into the woodwork. Tube audio was a great hobby in the early to mid 90's, and then it got out of control. Suddenly everyone is a tube tech, even construction workers. Give me a break. This nonsense wouldn't have happened in the 60's, no one in their right state of mind would hire a construction worker as
an electronics technician
."

-Ryan

----------------

"and I'm an electronics engineer"

LOL.... so are you a "general repairman", an "electronic technician", or "electronic engineer"????

education AND experience???? you are 21.... how much experience do you have personally????

really...it's pretty simple.... do the math..... you took an electronics course at a trade school for 18 months or maybe two years and you have maybe 1 year of real experience as a technician.....

engineers have college degrees.... you would graduate from college when you are 22.... sorry that doesn't seem to fit your description.....

general repairman.... maybe i can accept that.....

LOL

9.gif

Oh joy!

I teach in an senior public school in Toronto (grades 7 & 8) and when encountered with this silly ***-for-that arguing my principal and the staff resort to the Board's "zero tolerance" policy. You fight, you go home, we don't care who started it, you had a choice to back off, but chose not to.

But... he called me, "a @@#$*& #$%^&*( or choose whatever phrase you want!

and... you chose to slug him. He's going for three days for starting it and you are going home for two days for choosing to respond the way you did.

----

We all have choices to make and are responsible for what comes out of our mouths. Once you say it or put it in writing it is for public consumption and you have to deal with the compliments or consequences. To the members who want the last word, be prepared to have the right to have the last word and then suffer the loss of priviledges for using that same right.

I second the comments that I have learned an enormous amount of information about my Klipsch Cornwalls and how to modify them, to buying an integratde Scott amp and Mapletree preamp, and later on a tube amp/monoblocks to go with it. I am sure many of you will offer advice and I will search for past comments. This why I like this place and check in most days.

Friendly banter is one thing, misrepresentation, vulgarity and boorish manners are another kettle of fish.

Minn--My daughter graduated from U of I Urbana-Champaign at 20 and law school (magna cum laude, Wisconsin-Madison) when she was 23. But like her father she is exceptionally brilliant and hard-working.

Jeez, I hope I spelled "laude" right. Champaign too.

Speaking of Champaign I'm going down there Wednesday to see "Lawrence of Arabia" shown in all it's 70mm, multi-channel splendor.

----------------

On 4/19/2004 8:06:58 PM TBrennan wrote:

Minn--My daughter graduated from U of I Urbana-Champaign at 20 and law school (magna cum laude, Wisconsin-Madison) when she was 23. But like her father she is exceptionally brilliant and hard-working.

Jeez, I hope I spelled "laude" right. Champaign too.

Speaking of Champaign I'm going down there Wednesday to see "Lawrence of Arabia" shown in all it's 70mm, multi-channel splendor.----------------

congrats on your daughter!!!

you are right ...there are many exceptions...... even if i am off by a few years... still very little experience from this young man......1.gif

i for one...will read his posts in a much different light after all of this "interesting" information.....

I didn't see the thread in question, but until this thread, I believed that Inman HIMSELF (not him plus a family member or 2) had 30 years as a tube tech. It was certainly IMPLIED in his posts.

This really is a misrepresentation when soliciting business from (or leaving yourself open to business from) a fourm such as this. I can't actually see Inman or his shop. No one has any idea that they are sending their equipment to a 21 yr. old - no offense really intended here Ryan, but you are not who you held yourself out to be. Maybe I INFER too much - bottom line, however, is I would be ticked right now if I was a customer.

BTW - Cubs Win! Cubs Win! holy cow

I am surprised to hear that Ryan is 21. He has shown problem solving ability and insight beyond his years -- and beyond that of many who are twice or even three times his age. This fact is evident enough now, is it not? My gosh, I have read 'exchanges' between members of this forum that were far more immature, mean, and in most cases totally out-of-place. Why not give this rest and stop the public flogging!?

I am not proud of everything I have said here in the past, and think that some of you might feel the same about your own forum behavior. Who is perfect, afterall?

Beating a younger guy into the ground does nothing to help him or improve one's own merit or character.