Klipsch Knockoffs - Shinall..Have You Seen These?

gullahisland

JHawk---What if they did? So what? If they own the stuff they can do what they like with it as long as they don't sell it as new Klipsch.

Seems to me that this Texian is going after a market that the Klipsch company has pretty much chosen to just give lip service to.

Also note that very few speaker companies are forthcoming about what drivers they use, this Shinall fella is under no obligation to tell us anything along those lines.

You know, it's not like ole PWK told everybody that a K-77 was an EV or a K-33 a CTS or whatever.

Dean---I don't see a lens. :)

Many here misuse the term "lens". This term has a specific technical meaning with horns as set forth by Western Electric and JBL. This imprecision of language can lead to confusion; refer to a plain horn as a lens to a JBL horny and he'll be thinking of something entirely different than what you intend.

Better I think to use the term "flare" or just plain "horn".

Check the photo, those are lenses and are similar to optical lenses in that the sound goes into the lens one way and comes out another. Lens.

Note that JBL has used lenses on direct-radiators as well as horns such the lens used on the 5" cone mid driver of the old L-220.

I know I'm being a pedantic pain in the *** but I've nothing better to do this morning. Indulge an old man.

post-6913-1381925411175_thumb.jpg

TB-

I wasn't trying to bash the company, I was just interested in what the outcome will be. But yes, if this guy can help with the "Heritage" market, more power to him. That's what makes a capitalist society great. No, I'm not trying to turn this into a political thread. :)

I think that KlipschCO has decided to give up the market on the Heritage line anyway, so the small business folks around the country can take a bite of the available remaining market which isn't very large anyway. This is a healthy and good thing.

I have never been convinced that a new pair of LACQUERED Klipschorns are actually worth the retail $$ being asked, let alone WAITING several months for the janitor to build them. It's not THAT tough... Magic is NOT involved.

I say more power to the small businesses, and good luck.

DM

What effect does that short throw lens really have? I don't know for sure, but the spec sheet says maximum 30 ft. of throw. I'm thinking you will still hear it just fine at say 32ft. But it won't have the personality of real Klipsch speakers.

Ever listen to a LaScala at say 50 yds? or 100yds? Outdoors? What that little tweeter can really do at those distances is nothing short of amazing. Does anyone know the maximum throw spec on a Klipsch tweeter?

Those lenses look cool, but I question the performance. Maybe they are not trying to achieve the Klipsch sound. That might be the case.

Mark----Note that the 2 horn-lens combos speced for under 30 feet are 1" throat. 1" throat drivers are suitable only for small theatres and for hi-fi use, in large rooms distortion gets too high.

Altec rated the A7 with it's 1" throat driver for theatres up to about 400 seats, any larger and they recommended A5s and A4s and such with 1.4" drivers.

Note that the other horn-lens combos are for use with 2" compression drivers and have no distance specs. That's because 4" diaphragm, 2" throat compression drivers can fill much larger spaces with undistorted sound than 1" drivers can.

Speakers like LaScalas, with 1" drivers and EV hi-fi tweeters and their willy-nilly dispersion, are small potatos when it comes to pro use. Note that Klpsch Pro themselves only putzes with 1" drivers in their smallest systems.

Clarke---Those lenses were designed by Bart Locanthi, I reckon he could have mimicked Klipsch sound had he been so inclined. :) He certainly had the resources and better quality drivers to start with too.

The acoustic lens was a Western Electric idea that JBL ran with; perhaps JBL hoped to find a cheaper means of directivity control than the expensive multi-cell horns used by Altec and RCA.

The lenses were eclipsed by CD horns which work better but don't look nearly so cool.

Locanthi desined many drivers at JBL and later designed some woofers at Altec. When Pioneer decided to get serious they hired Locanthi and he designed the HPM series, excellent speakers that still have a considerable cult following.

Locanthi also designed the TAD drivers for Pioneer.

Fella knew his business.2.gif

I always thought that a K-Horn design without the requirement for a corner would be great.

so, why not build a woofer cabinet with regular sealed or bass-reflex design.

thats what this company has done.

sounds like a great idea that should have been done a long time ago.

I recently purchased a pair of XT200's for my main speakers in a surround sound set up and they are majical!! They are so efficient it's unreal.

I traded in a pair of klipsch speakers for the XT200'S and when i got them home there was no comparison. Weather watching a DVD, tv, or stereo music they sound extremly clean and clear, very clear.

They are solid wood and the construction is as solid as you can get. I have these and they rival just about any speaker i've heard and that's saying a lot. Reguardless what everyone is saying, I can tell you 1st hand these babies are it!!

Okay, Hoorah, thank you for your input. Could you please tell us about yourself.

Which Klipsch speakers did you turn in? What are you playing these speakers through?

The endorsement sounds a little general and since it is your first post, it is only natural that we may be a little sceptical. If it was Dean, then we all know Dean and what he values. At this point you are an unknown entity and I would like a little more information to evaluate your opinion on these speakers.