Klipsch Knockoffs - Shinall..Have You Seen These?

gullahisland

mbajner,how you do it for easy viewing please?

The only way I know is like an attached file.

thanks

----------------

On 4/24/2004 11:45:48 AM mbajner wrote:

the build quality looks good on these

here are the pics for easy viewing

"<ahttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/KKS-1front.jpg">

"<ahttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/KKS-1back.jpg">

----------------

Very impressive! Gary obviously takes great pride in his work.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd kinda feel like I'd be letting Klipsch down by owning a Shinall. Even though the Shinalls are not exact replicas of Klipsch loudspeakers, and may or may not sound better overall then the Heritage line, I think I'd feel guilty for owning a new Model KKS-1 just on the grounds that it's more affordable than an actual 2004 Klipschorn. I'd feel like I was betraying the faith and devotion I have for Klipsch products. Am I nuts?

It's almost like owning a kit car that replicates the Caroll Shelby Cobra, or a fake Rolex. They're nice, but it's not quite the same as owning the originals IMO!

Plagiarism is plagiarism and it matters not how "nice" or skilled the plagiarist may be.The tales of aircraft engines also demonstrates that it can,given the appropriate circumstances be quite profitable.That being said all the information regarding Mr.Shinall's wholly altruistic motives had to be solicited.Never a nod to P.W.K. except the representations on the website which infer the designs to be by "Shinall".There is such a thing as a sin of omission,Bose has used this technique for years.And lastly,based on what I have seen and heard so far this gentleman certainly has one awfully impressive "hobby shop".

I thought this was the "KLIPSCH" forum.

Analogman

A 60' x 60' "shop" building which would yield the 3500 sq. ft. of USABLE floor space, after deducting the floor space committed to a "dust-free" showroom area, is NOT exactly a factory-type-sized operation. I, myself, would love to have a personal woodworking "hobby" shop that size, and to hell with the wasted floorspace for the showroom! It would allow me to have under one roof sufficent storage area inside of it for proper flat storage of various sheet goods, storage of solid stock of various types and sizes, and ample remaining floor space to easily maneuver things around in, as needed, from one floor-standing tool to another without having to resort to digging things out or man-handling large HEAVY industrial-grade floor-standing tools in order to make things "move along" more rapidly when trying to work on a large project. So, IMHO, the size of his shop has no bearing on his intent, it is just a good size to have for doing things in.

Some may wonder why the need for industrial-grade floor-standing tools. Well, they are just easier to use and set up, generally providing better results while making the job at hand much easier and quicker to finish. Trust me, they are NOT inexpensive, either...but if one can afford them they are well-worth the purchase...even if just for use by a wood-working hobbyist! Some members of this forum put far more money into their home theater systems and separate stereo listening systems than a woodworker would need to spend in order aquire industrial-grade floor-standing tools for his hobby if he was careful to look for great deals on the stuff!

My father's "shop" was only 24' x 24', yielding a bit over a third of Mr. Shinall's total floor-space, but it proved woefully inadequate for doing jobs easily totally within its confines, and he always lamented the fact he had not AT LEAST DOUBLED its size when he first built it and could have afforded to do so! I was in total agreement with him in that lamentation, since I was the one who had to help on any projects we ever attempted!

Again, I will not comment on his intent or any ethics involved...since I have had only a short conversation with him to really know anything about him. I am just making a point that the size of his "shop" is really not an issue, since it is a good size shop to have, IMHO!

----------------

On 4/24/2004 3:14:38 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

My father's "shop" was only 24' x 24', yielding a bit over a third of Mr. Shinall's total floor-space . . .

----------------

Math correction . . .

24' x 24' = 576 sq ft., or about 1/6 the size of Mr. Shinall's shop.

I don't know if I would use altruism in a description of the guy but I don't see him as an immediate threat to Klipsch....yet. Although we can't prove it on way or the other, apparently PWK gave him the designs for the K-horns that he used to produce his KKS-1. What is very noteworthy is that Klipsch is charging appx 7K for a K-horn and the KKS-1 is half that. The message Klipsch should get is the Heritage line if priced lower may sell better. Why do you think there is such a used market for the Heritage stuff? More money could be spent on marketing them and a resurrection of one of the most legendary line of speakers ever could take place. My preference is the real deal over the copy but if Klipsch lets this market slip or collapse on them, the Shinall KKS-1 may become the K-horn of the future. Good or bad people in the market for a new K-horn may be prone to take a long hard look at the KKS-1. This should serve as a wake up call for Klipsch.

I stand corrected...but the fact still remains that even at twice the size (48 x 24) it would still have been way too inadequate to hold everything under one roof and still have enough usable floor space for industrial-grade floor standing tools for a full woodworking shop...while still allowing any kind of easy maneuverability within the shop conducive to a one-man operation. One thing about one-man operations is that they actually require MORE floor space than a two-man operation just because of the fact that two men can more easily manuever around large sheet goods...therefore eliminating some of the need for carts and dollies to make the job easier. Carts and dollies require clearance between the floor standing tools to allow for maneuverability of sheet goods by one man...whereas two men can carry them upended from point to point, sharing the load. I (at age 51)am no spring chicken anymore, and neither is Mr. Shinall (at age 60), so any break we can get in hauling around sheet goods is worthwhile! Keep this in mind, for a table saw alone, one really needs minimum available working floor space of 20' x 15' when sawing full-sized sheet goods ALONE...and that is just for one floor-standing tool!

----------------

On 4/23/2004 3:21:00 AM JTS8 wrote:

Well maybe someone should put a bug in his ear to make an Acadamy type speaker.

----------------

I'm surprised no one else has brought it to his attention yet... but I fully agree given the prices they sell for on Ebay. They are very simple to build, and their components are still available from klipsch. Otherwise how about a HornED heresy centre?

Another speaker that I think would make a great addition (even if some may consider it a sacrilege) would be one of the John-Warren / Qman hybrids. Obviously they would be more expensive than Khorn clone given the cost of the JBL tweeter and either the JBL direct radiator mids or the Altec horn... but it would give the company a little section of the market that it can truly call it's own.

In any case, the man seems to build some very nice cabinetry... and obviously loves his hobby.

Just thinking out loud...

Rob

----------------

On 4/24/2004 12:23:09 PM tcb wrote:

----------------

You have to add the html link to the image you want to display in your text. First upload it... find the picture's address... and then post it into your text with the following script <*img src="http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Khorn-clone-resized.jpg"*> but you'll have to remove the two * in the text and it gives:

Khorn-clone-resized.jpg

later...

Rob

post-11489-1381925412892_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 4/27/2004 12:03:46 AM tcb wrote:

C:Documents and SettingsmariusMy DocumentsMy PicturesDCP01074.JPG

----------------

img src="http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/DCP01074.JPG

formica,sorry but still not understand how to post the picture....

Could you try again to explain,please???

You have to add the html link to the image you want to display in your text. First upload it... find the picture's address... and then post it into your text with the following script <*img src="http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Khorn-clone-resized.jpg"*'>http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Khorn-clone-resized.jpg"*> but you'll have to remove the two * in the text and it gives:

"<ahttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Khorn-clone-resized.jpg">

later...

Rob

----------------

----------------

On 4/26/2004 4:24:44 PM formica wrote:

----------------

On 4/24/2004 12:23:09 PM tcb wrote:

----------------

You have to add the html link to the image you want to display in your text. First upload it... find the picture's address... and then post it into your text with the following script <*img src="
*'>
*> but you'll have to remove the two * in the text and it gives:

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Khorn-clone-resized.jpg">

img src="http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Khorn-clone-resized.jpg

later...

Rob

----------------

----------------

On 4/27/2004 12:10:57 AM tcb wrote:

----------------

Yup... you successfully uploaded you picture in your first post... and when i go view it i get http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/DCP01074.JPG as the address of it (it's in the browsers URL bar)

So i add in the line... <*img src='http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/DCP01074.JPG'*> but without the two little * (multiply signs) inside the brackets at the beginning and at the end of the script (but KEEP the single quotes AND the BRACKETS) and it gives me the following :

DCP01074.JPG

A hint is you (1) post your message (2) then see the pic's URL (3) edit you post to include an inline version of the picture.

BTW... you should try to resize your pics to be 600x480 jpg size to make em faster for everyone.

Later...

Rob

Competition is usually a good thing - Klipsch certainly seems to have little interest in the Heritage line, as evidenced by allowing their dealers to elect not to sell Heritage. Hats off to Gary Shinall - he didn't let having his job shipped to China break him! Maybe this will light a fire under Klipsch to whip their dealers into shape.

I've yet to see Heritage Klipsch speakers set up and running in any Klipsch authorized dealer here in Western New York - but heck, we're kind of small. There's only a couple million people live here. If you went in Rowe Photo and Audio in Rochester, the only authorized dealer in Rochester, you wouldn't even know that Klipschorns are even manufactured 7.gif I still haven't heard or seen a pair of working Klipschorns - The closest I came- Audio Classics, a 'Heritage' dealer in Binghamton, had a battered used pair against a wall, buried behind other speakers.

For all the lawsuits against the web retailers, you'd think Klipsch would put the hammer down on the remaining dealers and insist that their full lines be on display and auditionable. Either that, or guess what? No dealer status for YOU! Klipsch helped their dealers by suing the Crazy Eddies of the world - now it's time for their dealers to reciprocate!

"For all the lawsuits against the web retailers, you'd think Klipsch would put the hammer down on the remaining dealers and insist that their full lines be on display and auditionable. Either that, or guess what? No dealer status for YOU! Klipsch helped their dealers by suing the Crazy Eddies of the world - now it's time for their dealers to reciprocate!"

This is an excellent point.

Klipsch is missing the boat on this. Look at all of us Heritage owners that hang out here. Do you think that if these speakers were in showrooms where folks could see, feel, and hear them, that they would sell more speakers? Why give up this portion of the market for used sales?? I'm a walking billboard for Heritage....why give up that market to ebay and the like??

One problem complicating the issue is the wait times for these. Who wants to wait 6 months or more for speakers??? I can understand the expense of stocking a network of dealers for Heritage, but if dealers could deliver speakers to customers in a week or two, this would be much better for dealer and customer.

I still think Klipsch needs to build about 2 to 3 dozen stores in major markets, and show the world just how sound for the home is done. No holds barred - no limits.

----------------

On 4/27/2004 12:42:14 AM formica wrote:

----------------

On 4/27/2004 12:10:57 AM tcb wrote:

----------------

Yup... you successfully uploaded you picture in your first post... and when i go view it i get
as the address of it (it's in the browsers URL bar)

So i add in the line... <*img src='
'*> but without the two little * (multiply signs) inside the brackets at the beginning and at the end of the script (but KEEP the single quotes AND the BRACKETS) and it gives me the following :

DCP01074.JPG

A hint is you (1) post your message (2) then see the pic's URL (3) edit you post to include an inline version of the picture.

BTW... you should try to resize your pics to be 600x480 jpg size to make em faster for everyone.

Later...

Rob

p><p> <p><a class=post-11957-1381925413068_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 4/27/2004 8:31:14 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

One problem complicating the issue is the wait times for these. Who wants to wait 6 months or more for speakers???

>i have customers who wouldn't wait 6 months for ANYTHING!<

I can understand the expense of stocking a network of dealers for Heritage, but if dealers could deliver speakers to customers in a week or two, this would be much better for dealer and customer.

>the DEALER has to pay for the heritage product displayed,and they are relatively expensive speakers,and RARELY asked for.so the dealer winds up tying up HIS money in a product that has little demand and VERY SLOW return.

a potential solution to this would be if Klipsch would give dealers e x t e n d e d terms for payment on Heritage display speakers.

I still think Klipsch needs to build about 2 to 3 dozen stores in major markets, and show the world just how sound for the home is done. No holds barred - no limits.

>hey-i'll send them my resume' if they do it and the $$ is right
2.gif

----------------

avman.

----------------

On 4/27/2004 8:31:14 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

One problem complicating the issue is the wait times for these. Who wants to wait 6 months or more for speakers???

>i have customers who wouldn't wait 6 months for ANYTHING!<

I can understand the expense of stocking a network of dealers for Heritage, but if dealers could deliver speakers to customers in a week or two, this would be much better for dealer and customer.

>the DEALER has to pay for the heritage product displayed,and they are relatively expensive speakers,and RARELY asked for.so the dealer winds up tying up HIS money in a product that has little demand and VERY SLOW return.

a potential solution to this would be if Klipsch would give dealers e x t e n d e d terms for payment on Heritage display speakers.

>hey-i'll send them my resume' if they do it and the $$ is right
2.gif

----------------

avman.