Cornwall Crossovers

tillmbil

You can go to Al Klappenberger's website and download the instructions/schematic for his "B" Series crossover replacements. He no longer assembles them himself for others but the design is there for you to build if you so desire. Perhaps if you want a pair built you can have DeanG or Bob Crites put you something together. What year of Cornwalls are they. I have Corns from two totally different era's '62 and '86 and like the way they both sound. I am planning to tinker with the '86 models some, maybe when ole' Deano is ready I can send the crossovers to him for rebuilding, they look fairly simple though.

The are excellent Doug! They now have some '86 Cornwall II play partners that I just got last week. I am selling my '89 WO Heresy II's to try and recoup some of the funds I spent for them. I got them from a local guy (30 miles away) that had them listed on AudioGon. I am going to order the replacement black grill cloth this week from Wendell Fabrics to redo the fronts. It has almost warmed up to the point were I can do the project.

How are you doing? You hanging in there. I hope the holidays and the new year are being good to you so far. Are you using your Khorns still? Wanna trade for some Cornwalls + cash. I am thinking of going Khorns front and rear, am I crazy or what?

Hang tight guys, I'm in class this week at work, and haven't had any time to play.

I've got some people who expressed interest through posting, some through PMs, and some through email. It gets hard to keep track of. Please email me with confirmation if you are ready. dgwescott@sbcglobal.net

I'm ready to go to work on A, AAs, and Bs. I need at least five A or AA orders to get Hans Jensen to make up the 13uF and 2uF Jensens PIOs. I also need five Cornwall orders to get him to do the 4uF caps. Mr. Jensen will only make these values for me if I order at least 10 of each value. So, I'm doing this on a preorder/prepaid basis.

All Heritage replacement crossovers will use identical replacement autoformers and inductors -- and Jensen PIO capacitors. Wiring will be done with 7/9 silver, and all connections will be soldered. The boards will be made from Cedar, and coated with poly to prevent discoloration of the wood from air contact. Trust me, when I get done with them, they'll be fit for framing.

• 10 months later...

JC,

When I started doing Heritage networks, I started with Jensen Paper in Oil capacitors. I built Bill a nice pair of Type B's with the Jensens. I was having the Heritage values custom rolled (13uF, 4uF, and 2uF), and shipped from Denmark. I had to buy in bulk, and it was very expensive. I couldn't turn product over fast enough to get my money back to keep up with my bills -- so I dropped them. Before doing so, I did have several compare my Jensen builds with my Auricap builds, and the consensus was that there wasn't enough of a difference to have a stroke over. BEC also compared them to his GE motor runs, and he said he couldn't hear a difference. Some, who went from Bob's networks to mine said there was a difference, but in the end, I decided the important thing was simply to use high quality parts with a good reputation for performance -- that were easily accessible and affordable by most.

I enjoy building for people "who claim to hear the inaudible". This allows me to make wild claims about my networks (that naturally can't be substantiated with measurements). Seriously though, the important thing is using the best parts one can afford -- it does make a difference.

Dean,

So this type B ALK will work for the K55 or K57 driver? Is there an adjustment that will need to be made for the K57 running 3db "hotter" My Corn now has the K57 and the K77 with a B-3 network.

Also, if I wanted to have a K55 driver comboed with a K400 or K401 horn, could the ALK type B be changed to accomadate this?

In time, I will want you to build one of these for me. Haven't yet outlined the whole project yet.

Thanks

jc

79 Cornwalls with Type B networks. The most noticable difference from the git go is when you turn them up past 85 db. With the originals they seemed to cloud (muddy)up a little and get harsh. THere was a very noticable clearer, more detailed sound with Deans network. The sound never changed, never got annoying, it just got harder to converse. That is my perception of a perfect system. Volume goes up but you really do not notice, until you try to speak..