Wow, what a cool looking turntable

m00n

----------------

On 5/5/2004 11:05:30 PM Rivendell61 wrote:

Gary,

I'm in Virginia. Sort of local (and no Md taxes...). Tim Stinson of Luminous Audio Technology (cables) has another business selling general Audio in Richmond and is a VPI dealer.

----------------

Cool! Where in Virginia?

Hey, Gary! If you do end up going down to Richmond as was suggested above, let me know, since you'll have to pass through Fredericksburg to get there! I'd love to ride down with you to check out that place.

----------------

On 5/6/2004 6:31:34 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

Is it nostalgia or righteous superiority that we dig these things?

----------------

dragon-ct1.jpg

I guess a little of both. Turntables are almost "alive", I think, and thus the sonic characteristics of the 'table, its balanced tonearm, and the diamond stylus are what make them truer to natural sound IMO. Plus being a mechanical design from the good ol' days, and being perfected as they are today, what's not to love?

When I was a mere lad, I just as much enjoyed watching the 'table spin with the cartridge gliding effortlessly through a vinyl groove, all the while making beautiful music that I equally enjoyed listening to (just like watching a reel to reel recorder with its VU meters dancing in time to the music).

Nakamichi made a cool direct-drive 'table back in the early '80s that I thought was cool, but was out of my price range...if memory serves, the rear tonearm was a centering device for records whose center holes were misaligned. What a clever concept! Of course if the Nakamichi was belt-driven, it would've been much cooler to see in action.

And now a $10,000 laser-guided turntable that plays LPs like CDs? Nice idea, especially for archival recording. But I don't think it'll last long (plus it's not fun to watch).

post-11084-1381925425424_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/8/2004 3:59:46 PM jt1stcav wrote:

And now a $10,000 laser-guided turntable that plays LPs like CDs? Nice idea, especially for archival recording. But I don't think it'll last long (plus it's not fun to watch).

----------------

Here is an interesting review of that laser-guided turntable on the Enjoy The Music website. If I had $10,000, I would seriously consider gettting such a unit (and I may eventually still). Sounds intriquing to me, although, granted, it does not have the romanticism of conventional vinyl playback.

I think it'll last long, because there will always be those folks (such as myself) that likes the ease of use such a unit would provide, not to mention the quality of the playback seems to be very good. One downside, as mentioned in that article, is that since the laser is so much more precise and accurate than a stylus, that thing will pick up every little click and pop, thus it is imperative to keep your records extremely clean with a good record-cleaning machine.