Wow, what a cool looking turntable

m00n

master.jpg

I listened to this clear audio master reference table on tuesday night, the son of the owner of clear audio came all the way from germany for a demo presentation at audio ark in edmonton alberta .

These are " VERY " techy tables that are for the tinkering type of guy , my choice would be more of a spin and play table like the VPI junior or scout .

Clear audio also makes entry level table that are nice as well , personally i can't hear the difference in the tables but some claim too . The more expensive they get the more information they seem to pick up , including every little snap crackle and pop of the tiny little dust particles .

post-10527-1381925424894_thumb.jpg

I know I have seen in Sterophile Mag. that they make $75,000 TT's, who are the people that buy these things and do they sound $75,000 good, I mean really! I have a Rega P3 and I know I could do better but I'am happy with what I got, but even if I won millions in the Lotto it would be hard for me to pay that much for a TT. I would probably order a new pair of Klipschorns to replace my Heresy II's, but $75,000 for a TT I don't think so.2.gif

• Like 1

Randy, the rich people with nothing better to spend their money on. I seriously doubt I could tell much difference between that and a 2 or 3 hundred dollar turn table... But then again, I haven't listened to an album for some 20 years and maybe I could.. I dunno, but 75,000 for a turn table, please. it's all for looks at that point.

I know a person can hear a big differnce between a $600 TT and a $6000 but when it starts getting up in the 10s of $1000 dollar ranges I doubt a human could. Maybe the nieghbors cat can though. So maybe the rich buy these for their pets enjoyment. After all my cat bolts for the door everytime I turn my stereo on her ears a twitching.

hoggy

mmf9.gif

If cost was no object for me right now, this simple Music Hall MMF-9 with its Pro-ject 9.1 carbon-fiber tonearm and a Sumiko Blue Point Special MC cartridge would be more than enough turntable for me. At less than $2000, it's a bargain that sounds as good as those acrylic jobs IMO. I simply can't justify paying thousands more, but to each their own...

post-11084-1381925424958_thumb.gif

But JT, the MMF-9 IS an "acrylic job".

The platter is made of acrylic (albeit a thinner piece than those Mon$ter TTs) and the plinth is also acrylic with damping material sandwiched between 2 pcs of the plastic to help eliminate vibrations. A few months ago I purchased a MMF-7 for my brother-in-law to replace a Thorens I gave him. The MMF-7 is a very nice TT and is a bargain for someone wanting an introduction to analogue.

Have fun -Bryan

GARY : the emotion and champion from clear audio should be right around that price point .

emotion1g.jpg

I've heard and seen both , they are a nice rig .

champion4g.jpg

I still lean towards the VPI junior with upgrades or for a bit more cash the scout.

post-10527-1381925424996_thumb.jpg

Dale,

The only issue with those is they are hardly the kind of tables I could "sneak" into my system.11.gif They are very sweet if not space-age looking. What price am I really talking about with a cart that's up to those table's standards or do any that you mentioned come with one?

Gary,

Actually, the MMF-9's MSRP is @$1500 w/cart. Maybe I shouldn't have suggested it as an "intro" TT as it is very nice and would suit most folks as their main rig. Differences become very marginal as you climb the levels and as stated earlier, some ears wouldn't be able to distinguish between the levels and most certainly couldn't justify the $. The best way to maximize the sound from your TT is to make sure everything matches well. Music Hall has already put out the effort to find complimentary components and provide a complete package at a very decent price at several levels. I should also mention that the Project line is also right there as a bargain as they are manufactured in the same plant with the same components - just different dersigns. Both tables are easy to set up and use and come highly recommended so you can't go too wrong.

If I were to put together a great TT package at a good price (though certainly not in the bargain catagory), I'd go for the Teres 265, a Graham 1.5t or 2.0 arm and a Shelter 501 (901 if the funds are available). The Teres is a beautiful TT but its non-suspended design requires a solid stand or mount. The Shelter carts are MC and may require a step-up transformer if the phono stage doesn't have enough gain. The Grahams are some of the best catch-all arms and they work equally well with suspended and non-suspended tables and are a breeze to set up and use. At about $5K, the package isn't cheap but for me, its about as far as I'd want to go down the vinyl path. Besides, it'd probably be more TT than I'd need to match with the rest of my system. Of course, I'm happy with what I have and for the moment, my checkbook is firmly planted in my pocket. Just my opinion. Have fun, -Bryan

----------------

On 5/3/2004 2:41:40 PM garymd wrote:

m00n,

That's awesome!!!! How much do you want for it? Will you take a pair of corwalls in trade?
9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

You keep your paws off.11.gif

9.gif

Bryan,

Actually, I believe you suggested the MMF7 as a good "intro" to analog. If the 9 is $1500 with cart, that may be a viable alternative for me.

Any thought on the MMF-9 vs. the Clearaudio's or VPIs? Can you get the latter 2 with cart for $1500 or would the cart set you back more $$$?

In the $1500 range, I'd also suggest looking at the VPI Scout or one of its upgraded successors. Several dealers offer nice discounts on these as well as the matching cartridges. I'm not sure about the Scout but VPI tends to design its tables so that they can be upgraded later with better platters, motors and bearings. Have fun -Bryan